SMTP/POP question

  • Weidong Wang
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2001
      I am looking into using SMTP/POP as the soap transport. I found Paul's reply
      to this question back in June, where Paul indicated that by the end of June,
      the new release may contain the SMTP/POP round trip support.
      I then saw the note for the mid 0.51 release, where Paul indicated that this
      feature did not make into 0.51 release.

      Just wondering the current status of this work, and when this feature (or
      the next release) is scheduled.
      Thanks, Paul.

      Weidong
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2001
        Hi. Weidong!

        The reason why it didn't make into the latest release was that full
        implementation of SMTP/POP3 roundtrip will require access to
        transport headers (which requires SOAP::Context) and asynchronous
        model on client side (when you're getting reply without request,
        using POP3 client). Both require internal redesign and though I can
        do it quick-and-dirty way I would rather do it slower-but-proper way
        if possible. It will not make into the next version also, which will
        mostly contains fixes for datatypes in different XML Schemas
        (scheduled for the next week), but version after that is planned to
        implement SOAP::Context, so it's quite possible that SMTP/POP3
        implementation will be there (last decade of September).

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/