Re: [soaplite] Sending file attachments

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
      --- staindtd@... wrote:
      > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
      > files
      > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
      If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
      encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).

      > information on how to do this but can't find any good explanations.
      > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read some
      > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
      > explanation and an example.
      SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
      not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
      that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
      is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
      available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
      though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my reading
      can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).

      At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
      versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • staindtd@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2001
        Hi
        Thanks Paul for all the information. So if I want to send a file I
        need to use base 64. I'm still a little confused about how the file
        is being sent? Is it being sent as an attachment? Or are me just
        sending the bytes? If you could help me would with some information
        and possibly a simple example I would really appreciate it.
        Thanks

        Victor

        > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
        > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
        > > files
        > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
        > If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
        > encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).
        >
        > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
        explanations.
        > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
        some
        > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
        > > explanation and an example.
        > SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
        > not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
        > that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
        > is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
        > available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
        > though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my
        reading
        > can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).
        >
        > At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
        > versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.
        >
        > Best wishes, Paul.
        >
        > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the
        archives.

        > > But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been
        > > working
        > > with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics
        of
        > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
        > > files
        > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
        > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
        explanations.
        > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
        some

        > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
        > > explanation and an example.
        > >
        > > Thanks for the help

        Messenger
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2001
          Hi, Victor!

          > need to use base 64. I'm still a little confused about how the file
          > is being sent? Is it being sent as an attachment? Or are me just
          > sending the bytes? If you could help me would with some information
          > and possibly a simple example I would really appreciate it.
          Yes, we're sending bytes:

          [client]

          # get file
          open(F, "<$myfile") or die "$myfile: $!";
          my $file = join '', <F>;
          close(F) or die "$myfile: $!";

          # make SOAP call
          my $result = SOAP::Lite->proxy(...)->uri(...)
          ->sendFile(SOAP::Data->type(base64 => $file));

          die "Doesn't work: ", $result->faultstring if $result->fault;

          [server]

          sub sendFile {
          my($class, $file) = @_;
          # content of your file is in $file
          # if you'd like to save it and you're on Windows platform,
          # don't forget to use binmode()

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • jackx888@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
            So does that mean there is not a way to generate a SOAP rpc call with
            attachments in accordance to w3c spec
            http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments
            programmatically using SOAP::Lite?

            I am working with an apache soap service that expects file attachment
            in such format. I realize i can easily send the post request through
            standard HTTP connections, since the file is the only variable. But
            that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
            deserializer on the response?

            Thanks.

            -jack

            > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
            > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
            > > files
            > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
            > If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
            > encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).
            >
            > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
            explanations.
            > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
            some
            > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
            > > explanation and an example.
            > SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
            > not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
            > that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
            > is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
            > available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
            > though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my
            reading
            > can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).
            >
            > At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
            > versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.
            >
            > Best wishes, Paul.
            >
            > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the
            archives.

            > > But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been
            > > working
            > > with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics
            of
            > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
            > > files
            > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
            > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
            explanations.
            > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
            some

            > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
            > > explanation and an example.
            > >
            > > Thanks for the help

            Messenger
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2001
              Hi, Jack!

              Yes, there is no way to generate attachments right now, but you
              shouldn't have any problems accepting those though. SOAP generation
              is on my todo list, but it's not a top priority (although it's in top
              ten).

              > But
              > that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
              > deserializer on the response?
              You don't need to do anything special with responses. You get
              attachments as element values:

              --MIME_boundary

              123

              element <a> will have value 123 after processing. some required MIME
              headers are skipped. You may take a look into t/04-attach.t for more
              information.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/