Sending file attachments

  • staindtd@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7 2:20 PM
      Hi

      Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the archives.
      But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been working
      with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics of
      it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send files
      to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
      information on how to do this but can't find any good explanations. I
      have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read some
      things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
      explanation and an example.

      Thanks for the help
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7 2:55 PM
        --- staindtd@... wrote:
        > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
        > files
        > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
        If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
        encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).

        > information on how to do this but can't find any good explanations.
        > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read some
        > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
        > explanation and an example.
        SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
        not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
        that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
        is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
        available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
        though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my reading
        can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).

        At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
        versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • staindtd@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8 6:36 AM
          Hi
          Thanks Paul for all the information. So if I want to send a file I
          need to use base 64. I'm still a little confused about how the file
          is being sent? Is it being sent as an attachment? Or are me just
          sending the bytes? If you could help me would with some information
          and possibly a simple example I would really appreciate it.
          Thanks

          Victor

          > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
          > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
          > > files
          > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
          > If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
          > encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).
          >
          > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
          explanations.
          > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
          some
          > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
          > > explanation and an example.
          > SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
          > not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
          > that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
          > is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
          > available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
          > though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my
          reading
          > can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).
          >
          > At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
          > versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.
          >
          > Best wishes, Paul.
          >
          > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the
          archives.

          > > But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been
          > > working
          > > with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics
          of
          > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
          > > files
          > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
          > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
          explanations.
          > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
          some

          > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
          > > explanation and an example.
          > >
          > > Thanks for the help

          Messenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8 7:19 AM
            Hi, Victor!

            > need to use base 64. I'm still a little confused about how the file
            > is being sent? Is it being sent as an attachment? Or are me just
            > sending the bytes? If you could help me would with some information
            > and possibly a simple example I would really appreciate it.
            Yes, we're sending bytes:

            [client]

            # get file
            open(F, "<$myfile") or die "$myfile: $!";
            my $file = join '', <F>;
            close(F) or die "$myfile: $!";

            # make SOAP call
            my $result = SOAP::Lite->proxy(...)->uri(...)
            ->sendFile(SOAP::Data->type(base64 => $file));

            die "Doesn't work: ", $result->faultstring if $result->fault;

            [server]

            sub sendFile {
            my($class, $file) = @_;
            # content of your file is in $file
            # if you'd like to save it and you're on Windows platform,
            # don't forget to use binmode()

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • jackx888@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14 12:12 AM
              So does that mean there is not a way to generate a SOAP rpc call with
              attachments in accordance to w3c spec
              http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments
              programmatically using SOAP::Lite?

              I am working with an apache soap service that expects file attachment
              in such format. I realize i can easily send the post request through
              standard HTTP connections, since the file is the only variable. But
              that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
              deserializer on the response?

              Thanks.

              -jack

              > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
              > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
              > > files
              > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
              > If you just need to send files here and there you can use base64
              > encoded elements (at least it's what I'm doing).
              >
              > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
              explanations.
              > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
              some
              > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
              > > explanation and an example.
              > SOAP::Lite supports MIME messages only on parsing side and doesn't
              > not create them right now. There are only a few toolkits available
              > that support that, so if you want to be interoperable your best bet
              > is still base64. Even if there will be more than one toolkit
              > available there was no interop tests between MIME transfers yet, and
              > though I'm pretty sure I did everything according to spec, my
              reading
              > can be different from someone's else (and from authors also).
              >
              > At the same time I'm working on MIME generation also and future
              > versions of SOAP::Lite may support it.
              >
              > Best wishes, Paul.
              >
              > --- staindtd@y... wrote:
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > Sorry if this is an easy question, I searched through the
              archives.

              > > But I was looking for a more simple explanation. I have been
              > > working
              > > with soap::lite for a few weeks now and I understand the basics
              of
              > > it. But what I wanted to do was to have my server program send
              > > files
              > > to the client, and client to server. I keep looking on line for
              > > information on how to do this but can't find any good
              explanations.
              > > have read some stuff on attaching messages. And have also read
              some

              > > things on MIME. I was wondering if any one could help me with an
              > > explanation and an example.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the help

              Messenger
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 14 8:14 AM
                Hi, Jack!

                Yes, there is no way to generate attachments right now, but you
                shouldn't have any problems accepting those though. SOAP generation
                is on my todo list, but it's not a top priority (although it's in top
                ten).

                > But
                > that means I have to parse the response manually. Or can I call
                > deserializer on the response?
                You don't need to do anything special with responses. You get
                attachments as element values:

                --MIME_boundary

                123

                element <a> will have value 123 after processing. some required MIME
                headers are skipped. You may take a look into t/04-attach.t for more
                information.

                Best wishes, Paul.

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/