Re: more ASP / Lite.dll problems

  • mdiplacido@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
      so during complile time the DBI package is nowhere to be found!?
      jeez. okay, how do you enable static dispatch?

      --- In soaplite@y..., Michael Percy <mpercy@p...> wrote:
      > Are you using dynamic dispatch for your module on the production
      box?

      > Try changing the "use DBI" to "require DBI" in your code... if that
      fixes
      > (or at least changes) the problem then that is probably the issue.
      >
      > When using dynamic dispatch, @INC is disabled at compile time, but
      then
      > restored at run time, due to security reasons. You can also switch
      to static
      > dispatch to overcome this issue.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Mike

      \PA-
      > > SOAP\modules
      > > \) at PA.pm line 3.
      > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PA.pm line 3.
      > >

      > > i have module named PA which works fine standalone on my machine
      but,
      > > when i try to call methods on it under a win2k ASP/Lite.dll
      server
      > > it's almost as if the standard lib directories are not available.
      > > what's going on!? DBI is installed on the machine and it does
      work
      > > on regular scripts.

    • Michael Percy
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
        It all depends on your server code. From your earlier post...

        > 1 Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
        > 2 .server("SOAP::Server") _
        > 3 .dispatch_to("PA-SOAPmodules","Demo","PA") _
        > 4
        > 5 .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)))
        (cleaned up a little for legibility ;)

        Is dispatching calls dynamically, to classes in those specified directories.
        Instead you need to do something like:

        > use PA::MyCompany;
        > use Demo::Whatever;
        > 3 .dispatch_to("PA::MyCompany","Demo::Whatever") _

        But, I don't know if this is possible or valid syntax in ASP... Obviously
        you are using dynamic dispatch and that is your problem, but I don't know if
        ASP is even capable of static dispatch. Maybe someone else who uses it
        knows.

        If you want to work around the dynamic dispatch problem, drop your "use"s
        and instead start using "require" in your scripts getting the dispatched
        requests. That's what I do in these cases.

        IMHO, an even better option would be to drop ASP in this case (gurgle) and
        use Apache or the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon module, which comes with
        SOAP::Lite. ;)

        Hope that helps,
        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
          Hi, Mike!

          I can only add that if @INC is the real problem in this case (which
          seems to be) you can always write

          .dispatch_to("/directory/with/modules","Module1","Module2") _

          and you don't need to do explicit 'use Module1' in this case.
          SOAP::ite will load it on demand and @INC will be enabled during
          compilation since you mentioned this module as allowed in dispatch
          list.

          @INC disabled only if module found in specified directories, but it's
          not mentioned explicitly. More information is availble in SECURITY
          section of SOAP::Lite documentation. Hope it helps.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/