more ASP / Lite.dll problems

  • mdiplacido@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
      what's going on here? my Lite.dll "perl environment" is not working
      on my production machine but, it works fine on my test box.

      here's the error i'm getting:

      SOAP-ENV:Client Failed to access class (PA): Can't locate DBI.pm in
      @INC (@INC c
      ontains: C:\TEMP\Lite\{7BF2021E-79FD-43D1-A860-DC4417EE9F43}\ . \PA-
      SOAP\modules
      \) at PA.pm line 3.
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PA.pm line 3.

      i have module named PA which works fine standalone on my machine but,
      when i try to call methods on it under a win2k ASP/Lite.dll server
      it's almost as if the standard lib directories are not available.
      what's going on!? DBI is installed on the machine and it does work
      on regular scripts.
    • Michael Percy
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
        Are you using dynamic dispatch for your module on the production box?

        Try changing the "use DBI" to "require DBI" in your code... if that fixes
        (or at least changes) the problem then that is probably the issue.

        When using dynamic dispatch, @INC is disabled at compile time, but then
        restored at run time, due to security reasons. You can also switch to static
        dispatch to overcome this issue.

        HTH,
        Mike

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • mdiplacido@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
          so during complile time the DBI package is nowhere to be found!?
          jeez. okay, how do you enable static dispatch?

          --- In soaplite@y..., Michael Percy <mpercy@p...> wrote:
          > Are you using dynamic dispatch for your module on the production
          box?

          > Try changing the "use DBI" to "require DBI" in your code... if that
          fixes
          > (or at least changes) the problem then that is probably the issue.
          >
          > When using dynamic dispatch, @INC is disabled at compile time, but
          then
          > restored at run time, due to security reasons. You can also switch
          to static
          > dispatch to overcome this issue.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Mike

        • Michael Percy
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
            It all depends on your server code. From your earlier post...

            > 1 Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
            > 2 .server("SOAP::Server") _
            > 3 .dispatch_to("PA-SOAPmodules","Demo","PA") _
            > 4
            > 5 .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)))
            (cleaned up a little for legibility ;)

            Is dispatching calls dynamically, to classes in those specified directories.
            Instead you need to do something like:

            > use PA::MyCompany;
            > use Demo::Whatever;
            > 3 .dispatch_to("PA::MyCompany","Demo::Whatever") _

            But, I don't know if this is possible or valid syntax in ASP... Obviously
            you are using dynamic dispatch and that is your problem, but I don't know if
            ASP is even capable of static dispatch. Maybe someone else who uses it
            knows.

            If you want to work around the dynamic dispatch problem, drop your "use"s
            and instead start using "require" in your scripts getting the dispatched
            requests. That's what I do in these cases.

            IMHO, an even better option would be to drop ASP in this case (gurgle) and
            use Apache or the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon module, which comes with
            SOAP::Lite. ;)

            Hope that helps,
            Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
              Hi, Mike!

              I can only add that if @INC is the real problem in this case (which
              seems to be) you can always write

              .dispatch_to("/directory/with/modules","Module1","Module2") _

              and you don't need to do explicit 'use Module1' in this case.
              SOAP::ite will load it on demand and @INC will be enabled during
              compilation since you mentioned this module as allowed in dispatch
              list.

              @INC disabled only if module found in specified directories, but it's
              not mentioned explicitly. More information is availble in SECURITY
              section of SOAP::Lite documentation. Hope it helps.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/