RE: [soaplite] Re: Install on Windows 98 NT 2000

  • Peter Wilkinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
      Hi Allie???

      I can't say I've built SOAP::Lite on windows but the couple of times I've
      built other modules I had to fiddle Makefile.pl to tell it the right paths
      to use.

      If you can, I'd upgrade to the latest version and go the ppm way, but I'll
      give the compile a shot and let you know if I get it going.

      PW.

      Peter Wilkinson
      pwilkinson@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
        I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.

        'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install the
        MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.

        My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'

        I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
        me remove the 0.43 version!

        PW.

        Peter Wilkinson
        pwilkinson@...

        Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
        mentioned that.

        What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
        procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
        for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
        work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
        in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
        a pre-build 623 bug?

        --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
        > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
        once I
        > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
        is 0.43
        > though.
        >

        > PW.

      • Fisher, James
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
          I have built SOAP::Lite on windows...
          Just install the required modules that are listed on www.soaplite.com with
          ppm. Then, download the zip or the tar file and install it like it is
          described in the readme. Here is a sample

          Open a dos prompt. Go to the directory that you unzipped soap lite into.
          - type "perl makefile.pl"
          - type "nmake"
          - type "nmake test"
          - type "nmake install"

          done

          Okay ...I am using 5.5 build 522 (I think), not 5.6. I should have
          mentioned that.

          What installation procedure did you use? The usual Unix make
          procedure using Microsoft NMAKE? I have never used this procedure
          for ActiveState. I have only ever used PPM. Does the Unix procedure
          work on ActiveState? I get error messages like "Can't find perl.exe
          in C:\perl\bin" even though it is definately located there. Is this
          a pre-build 623 bug?

          --- In soaplite@y..., "Peter Wilkinson" <pwilkinson@f...> wrote:
          > Try installing build 623 of AcitvePerl, I could install SOAP::Lite
          once I
          > upgraded from build 620. The latest build they have of SOAP::Lite
          is 0.43
          > though.
          >

          > PW.

        • Thomas Charron
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2001
            Erm..

            --Screen Cut--
            PPM> search SOAP
            Packages available from
            http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/
            PPMServer:
            SOAP-AutoInvoke [0.25] SOAP mod_perl handler
            SOAP-Lite [0.40] Library for SOAP clients and servers in Perl

            > Any tips on installing this for ActiveState on Windows? There is no
            > PPM that I can see. Unix installation is a breeze, but using the
            > Unix procedure and NMAKE on Windows does not work well. Does someone
            > have an ActiveState PPM for Windows are ideas on how to make one
            > (besides "Read ActiveState documentation" which I've already done to
            > no avail)?
          • Duncan Cameron
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
              Peter/Allie et al

              Installing SOAP-Lite 0.46 works fine with Active State version 5.005_03, build 522, on Windows 98.

              As James Fisher wrote, the standard mantra works but I use

              perl makefile.pl
              nmake
              nmake test
              perl -mHtmlHelp -e "HtmlHelp::MakeHtmlTree('blib/lib', 'blib/html/lib/site', 2)"
              ppm install

              The last two commands mean that the SOAP-Lite pod is turned into html and integrated into the Active State table of contents, and that PPM is now aware of the package (so it appears if you do ppm query).

              Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such a version would vary across different Active State distributions, but I can provide one for the version identified above.

              Regards,
              Duncan Cameron

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                Hi, Duncan!

                Thank you, I'll include it in docs.

                > Paul - it might be an idea to provide a PPM-ready version in
                > addition to the Unix and Win32 versions. I don't know whether such
                > a version would vary across different Active State distributions,
                > but I can provide one for the version identified above.
                Yes, I'm working on it. It would be great if you could do it for
                5.005 version of ActivePerl and I'll do it for 5.6. Thank you.

                Best wishes, Paul.

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Peter Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                  Thanks Duncan,
                  The build and install and tests work fine on Win2000 SP1, ActiveState v5.6.0
                  build 623, using the .NET SDK nmake.

                  I like the 'ppm install', I was not aware it would install from source like
                  that.

                  PW.

                  On 2001-02-07 at 02:44:00, Peter Wilkinson <pwilkinson@...>
                  wrote concerning 'RE: [soaplite] Re: Install on Windows 98 NT 2000':
                  >I've just downloaded the latest SOAP::Lite .zip and it compiles fine here.
                  >
                  >'perl Makefile.PL' the 'nmake' and it builds fine. I did have to install
                  the
                  >MIME::Lite ppm, but I got that straight from ActiveState.
                  >
                  >My configuration is Win2000 SP1 and .NET SDK installed for 'nmake'
                  >
                  >I didn't install as this version of ppm requires SOAP::Lite and didn't let
                  >me remove the 0.43 version!
                  >
                  >PW.
                  >
                  >Peter Wilkinson
                  >pwilkinson@...

                • Peter Wilkinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 7, 2001
                    Duncan,
                    I didn't get the htmlhelp part to work though - I can't find the module,
                    where is that located???

                    PW.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2001
                        On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:16:10 -0500 , "Fisher, James" <jfisher@...>
                        wrote:

                        >That is not created by default. Here are your options.
                        >
                        >1. (The option I use) Open a cmd prompt and type "perldoc SOAP::Lite".
                        >type "perldoc perldoc" if you have any questions.

                        >2. There is a bat called pod2html.bat which will convert it to html, but I
                        >have never used it. If you want it to show up on that nice html index for
                        >the activestate docs you may have to open up the file and add it. There is
                        >an automated way to do this, but I would have to look it up.

                        Yes, pod2html is the command for converting the PODs to HTML. You must
                        then install your HTML docs into the perl/html/site/lib branch.

                        You can automatically recreate the "Table Of Contents" by running:

                        perl -MActivePerl::DocTools -eActivePerl::DocTools::WriteTOC

                        -Jan