General Question

  • David Mullens
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm wanting to have several small scripts (modules) called from a large main
      script. The main script would basically have:

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      -> dispatch_to('MainInterface')
      -> handle;

      package MainInterface;

      use Methods;

      sub methodName {
      &Methods::method_Name;
      }

      In the Methods module, I would have

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      -> dispatch_to('Modules')
      -> handle;

      sub method_Name {
      # some type of logic here

      return $whatever;
      }

      For each subroutine in the main script, there would be a module.

      The reason why we are wanting to implement SOAP this way, is so we can
      setup the endpoint url in a database (or java properties file) and the
      person programming the client won't have to worry about different endpoints,
      only the method to call. We can create new modules, then enter them in our
      main endpoint script. The main script will take care of the call.

      When ever something needs to be updated, we don't have to touch the main
      endpoint script at all. We can edit whatever module we want. There is a
      chance that we will have 200 or so modules when all is finished.

      Is this possible? Right now I'm getting an access denied.

      Is this the best way to implement things? We really don't want one script
      with 200 subroutines (at least with all the logic) and we don't want one
      script for each endpoint. We thought if we implement it with one main
      script calling different modules, it would be easier to maintain.

      Thanks for any suggestions,

      Dave.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2001
        Hi, David!

        > I'm wanting to have several small scripts (modules) called from a
        > large main
        it IS definitely possible. Yet I'm not sure that is right approach.
        Combination of URI and method will tell you what module/method to
        use. You want to fix URI and map method to different combinations of
        module/method on server side. Doable, but I'd rather create one
        AUTOLOAD function and build it dynamically from hash:

        use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
        -> dispatch_to('MainInterface')
        -> handle;

        package MainInterface;

        use vars qw($AUTOLOAD);

        my %methods_map = (
        method1 => ['package', 'method'],
        method2 => ['package', 'method1'],
        );

        sub AUTOLOAD {
        my $method = substr($AUTOLOAD, rindex($AUTOLOAD, '::') + 2);
        return if $method eq 'DESTROY';

        die "No such method...\n" unless exists $%methods_map{$method};
        my($package, $method) = @{$methods_map{$method}};
        eval "require $package" or die;
        # little trick that allows you to implement
        # method (OO) rather than function calls
        $method = "${package}::$method";
        shift->$method(@_);
        # don't forget that first parameter is class/object
        # shift it if you don't need that
        }

        All other modules can be implemented in usual fashion.

        > In the Methods module, I would have
        >
        > use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
        > -> dispatch_to('Modules')
        > -> handle;
        you don't need that in Methods module, only usual module code.

        > Is this possible? Right now I'm getting an access denied.
        Access denien where? Could you provide request/response payload if
        you still have problems? Hope it helps.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • David Mullens
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hi,

          Thanks for the help... I'm having trouble with the statement:

          die "No such method...\n" unless exists $%methods_map{$method};

          It seems to be $%methods_map{$method} that is causing the trouble. I get
          the error: Bareword found where operator expected at ./MainInterface.cgi
          line 21, near "$%methods_map"
          (Missing operator before methods_map?)

          Since I'm new to perl, I'm not sure what the problem is. It works fine if I
          put it in the die "No.....$%methods_map{$method}"..... statement.

          Thanks for the help.

          DAve.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
            Hi, David!

            > Thanks for the help... I'm having trouble with the statement:
            >
            > die "No such method...\n" unless exists $%methods_map{$method};
            should be:

            die "No such method...\n" unless exists $methods_map{$method};

            I didn't test it, just typed out of my head.

            > Since I'm new to perl, I'm not sure what the problem is. It works
            I advise you to stay with more simple case (access from your client
            only classes/methods you really have on server) and then move toward
            more complex case you discussed.

            === message truncated ===

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • David Mullens
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
              Thanks again for all your help! I think I see how I can do it now! You've
              helped a lot.

              Now on to authentication.......

              Peace,

              Dave.

              >> Thanks for the help... I'm having trouble with the statement:
              >>
              >> die "No such method...\n" unless exists $%methods_map{$method};
              should be:

              die "No such method...\n" unless exists $methods_map{$method};

              I didn't test it, just typed out of my head.

              >> Since I'm new to perl, I'm not sure what the problem is. It works
              I advise you to stay with more simple case (access from your client
              only classes/methods you really have on server) and then move toward
              more complex case you discussed.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              --- David Mullens <damullens@...> wrote:
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> Thanks for the help... I'm having trouble with the statement:
              >>
              >> die "No such method...\n" unless exists $%methods_map{$method};
              >>
              >> It seems to be $%methods_map{$method} that is causing the trouble.
              >> I get
              >> the error: Bareword found where operator expected at
              >> ./MainInterface.cgi
              >> line 21, near "$%methods_map"
              >> (Missing operator before methods_map?)
              >>
              >> Since I'm new to perl, I'm not sure what the problem is. It works
              >> fine if I
              >> put it in the die "No.....$%methods_map{$method}"..... statement.
              >>
              >> Thanks for the help.
              >>
              >> DAve.

              === message truncated ===