sending xml via soap::lite

  • David Mullens
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
      Hi,

      I would like to send an XML object via soap::lite to a java client.

      What is the correct way to send it out using soap::lite. Right now I send
      it as:

      return SOAP::Data->type(xml => $xmlTest)->name('testingxml');

      Is this the 'correct' way to do it, or is there a different/better way?

      Thanks!

      Dave.

      Learning Assistant Technologies
      677-4504
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
        Hi, David!

        > Is this the 'correct' way to do it, or is there a different/better
        > way?
        Yes, that's correct. You may also use custom serializer if you have ,
        say, DOM object to serialize it into XML fragment. Example of it you
        may find in examples/getdom.pl file. It does pretty much the same,
        but under the hood, so you don't need to write $dom->toString.
        Shortly, this is the correct way. Let me know if you think about
        something else.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • damullens@lat-inc.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
          Hi,

          Well....I coudn't get it to work using type->xml, so I ended up
          trying to send the info as a base64 (even though the docs at
          interop.soaplite.com suggest that base64 from Soap::Lite to apache
          doesn't work). It did work and I was able to get the xml document
          sent over from soap::lite (not the soap part, but the xml I was
          sending from my perl script).

          When I tried using the type->xml, my java client complained about
          encodingStyle attributes and some other things. Since _I_ am not the
          one creating the XML part (someone else is doing that), I didn't know
          if the problem was what soap::lite was sending, receiving, or if the
          Java soap client was trying to parse the XML I was trying to send
          over.

          If there isn't any disadvantage to using base64, I might stick with
          that. I'm new to perl and soap, so any suggestions are greatly
          appreciated!

          Thanks,

          Dave.

          > Hi, David!
          >
          > > Is this the 'correct' way to do it, or is there a different/better
          > > way?
          > Yes, that's correct. You may also use custom serializer if you
          have ,
          > say, DOM object to serialize it into XML fragment. Example of it you
          > may find in examples/getdom.pl file. It does pretty much the same,
          > but under the hood, so you don't need to write $dom->toString.
          > Shortly, this is the correct way. Let me know if you think about
          > something else.
          >
          > Best wishes, Paul.
          >
          > --- David Mullens <damullens@l...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I would like to send an XML object via soap::lite to a java
          client.

          > > What is the correct way to send it out using soap::lite. Right
          now
          > > I send
          > > it as:
          > >
          > > return SOAP::Data->type(xml => $xmlTest)->name('testingxml');
          > >
          > > Is this the 'correct' way to do it, or is there a different/better
          > > way?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Dave.
          > >
          > > Learning Assistant Technologies
          > > 677-4504

          Messenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
            Hi, Dave!

            The advantage of using base64 is encapsulation. Base64 preserves
            encoding and doesn't require fragment to be valid XML (in SOAP
            context). If you insert is as a fragment your code must not contain
            processing instructions and document declarations, all namespaces
            should be properly declared and resolved. Encoding as base64 doesn't
            have those restrictions. There is no disadvantages, except larger
            size and the fact that base64 preserves encoding :)). I can't tell
            you what was wrong with ->xml type, but SOAP::Lite doesn't do any
            validations and insert fragment as is, so it's quite possible to
            generate invalid XML. If you can send/receive base64 you should be
            ok.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • David Mullens
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
              Thanks for the help and information. Do you happen to know how much larger
              the files (in general) would be with base64?

              I'm not sure I understand all the encodingStyle stuff, so base64 seems like
              it will be easier.....

              Thanks again,

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2001
                Hi, David!

                > Thanks for the help and information. Do you happen to know how
                > much larger the files (in general) would be with base64?
                base64 encodes 6 bits as 8, so encoded chunk is about 33% bigger than
                original.

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/