RE: [soaplite] SOAP LITE ON NT

  • Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
      Are you running ActiveState, Cygwin or did you build Perl yourself? I
      belive ActiveState 5.6.1 comes with XML::Parser and expat as part of the
      stock distribution. (Look for expat_win32.dll in your base Perl directory)

      If you're running Cygwin, it is a little more work... (The trick is that the
      dll must be in your PATH).

      Also, are the errors on "make" or "make test"? (Or 'nmake' if you're using
      AS)

      Ryan

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • alan_r_young@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
        Hi
        Thanks for replying, I am running ActiveState Perl.
        Here is my error message when I run soap_perl.asp

        ">Application failed during request deserialization: Can't locate
        MIME/Parser.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\WINNT\Lite\{7BF2021E-79FD-
        43D1-A860-DC4417EE9F43}\ .) at SOAP/Lite.pm line 866.</faultstring>

        That is telling me that the parser is not installed, (I think).
        Any ideas??
        Alan

        --- In soaplite@y..., "Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)" <Ryan.Adams@l...>
        wrote:

        > Are you running ActiveState, Cygwin or did you build Perl
        yourself? I
        > belive ActiveState 5.6.1 comes with XML::Parser and expat as part
        of the
        > stock distribution. (Look for expat_win32.dll in your base Perl
        directory)

        > If you're running Cygwin, it is a little more work... (The trick is
        that the
        > dll must be in your PATH).
        >
        > Also, are the errors on "make" or "make test"? (Or 'nmake' if
        you're using
        > AS)
        >
        > Ryan

      • Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
          First off, I'm no expert at this NT/ASP stuff, so feel free to ignore
          anything I say. :)

          At first glance, I would say that it looks like your @INC is pretty broken,
          but it is probably on the server side, when it is trying to parse the
          message.

          Almost certainly you have MIME::Parser installed stock with ActiveState, so
          that's probably not the problem.

          Go to a fresh DOS window and type "perl -V" and see what is in your @INC.

          Alternatively, somebody with more ASP experience might have a better
          perspective
          on how your @INC is getting munged. What does your server code look like?

          Good luck...

          Ryan

        • Michael Percy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
            ActiveState actually *uses* SOAP::Lite for their ppm (perl package manager)
            thing. I believe it's the basis for their querying mechanism. ppm is like
            CPAN, but it also adds dependencies to the equation.

            I would suggest you download the latest version of perl from ActiveState
            www.activestate.com, and SOAP::Lite should work right "out of the box". I
            know it did for me on *my* NT box.

            To isolate your problem, do the following:
            1.) At the command prompt type:
            perl -e 'use SOAP::Lite;'

            If that returns an error then use the latest ActiveState Perl
            distribution and try again.

            Alternatively, if you are already running an old version of
            ActiveState, type "ppm" at the command prompt, and then when inside the ppm
            shell run "install soap-lite". This should install the whole thing for you
            (but only the latest version ActiveState supports, probably not the latest
            version from Paul), as well as take care of all dependencies, i.e.
            XML::Parser, if required. ppm rocks.

            Once you have installed ActiveState's version of SOAP::Lite + all
            its dependencies, you can install the latest version on top of it yourself.

            2.) If step 1 does not return an error, then your perl installation is
            fine and you have a misconfiguration in your IIS install, apparently. Not
            sure what to do about that, I have never used IIS...

            HTH,
            Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
              OK thanks that gives me something to try
              Ok another question... assuming I get it installed right
              the soaplite.com web page shows a sample server but
              one line is very confusing to me..
              <%
              Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
              Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
              .server("SOAP::Server") _
              .dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules") _
              .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
              )
              %>

              the line that says
              .dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules") _

              begs the question, probably a stupid one
              are the depployed modules supposed to be in Perl
              or can they be in VB?
              If they are in VB, I cannot find one example of a VB module for a
              soap lite server.

              Any ideas for me, I feel stupid here...
              Alan Young

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
                Hello now I did run "install soap-lite"
                and it says it cannot find a PPD file???

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 27, 2001
                  That sounds strange. Maybe you need to upgrade to a recent distribution.
                  Here is a screen dump of a session I had:

                  --
                  C:\>perl -v

                  Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

                  Binary build 623 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
                  http://www.ActiveState.com
                  Built 16:27:07 Dec 15 2000

                  Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
                  the
                  GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

                  this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
                  Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

                  C:\>ppm
                  PPM interactive shell (2.1.2) - type 'help' for available commands.
                  PPM> search soap
                  Packages available from
                  http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer:
                  SOAP-AutoInvoke [0.25] SOAP mod_perl handler
                  SOAP-Lite [0.46] Library for SOAP clients and servers in Perl
                  SOAP-Lite-ActiveWorks [0.10] A SOAP Gateway into ActiveWorks Event Space
                  PPM> install soap=lite
                  Install package 'soap=lite?' (y/N): y
                  Installing package 'soap=lite'...
                  Error installing package 'soap=lite': Could not locate a PPD file for
                  package soap=lite
                  PPM> install soap-lite
                  Install package 'soap-lite?' (y/N): y
                  Installing package 'soap-lite'...
                  Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\SOAP\Lite\.packlist
                  PPM> quit
                  Quit!

                  C:\>
                  --

                  The PPD file thing above was because I mistyped the "soap-lite" as
                  "soap=lite". It means it cant find a corresponding perl package on the

                  Once I types the name correctly, it only said "updating .packlist" is
                  because Soap::Lite is already installed on my machine. If you were
                  installing for the first time you would see lots of files get installed.

                  Mike

                • Dave Warner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 13 12:30 PM
                    Actually, my stock install of ActivePerl did not have the MIME::Parser module installed. I had to install it via the package MIME-tools.

                    HTH.