SOAP LITE ON NT

  • alan_r_young@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 26 7:49 PM
      HI ALL
      I am new, I just signed on to this group.
      I am trying to install Soap Lite on NT so that I can run the soap.asp
      demo.
      1) I downloaded all the CPAN modules, all install well exce

      pt the XML::Parser
      2) Upon further inspection the XML::Parser needs expat
      3) so I download expat, and I put the DLL's in \winnt\system32
      4) so I go back to installing XML::Parser and it gives me a lot of
      error messages

      The web site says this package is so easy to use, I am spending hours
      trying to install with no end in site

      What am I doing wrong?
      It seems there are so many pieces to this thing, I am running all
      over the Internet downloading all of the modules, then one depends
      upon another, then I need expat, etc.

      Is there a install package that just sets up EVERYTHING for NT?
      Am I dreaming?
      Can anyone help?
      Alan Young
    • Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27 7:30 AM
        Are you running ActiveState, Cygwin or did you build Perl yourself? I
        belive ActiveState 5.6.1 comes with XML::Parser and expat as part of the
        stock distribution. (Look for expat_win32.dll in your base Perl directory)

        If you're running Cygwin, it is a little more work... (The trick is that the
        dll must be in your PATH).

        Also, are the errors on "make" or "make test"? (Or 'nmake' if you're using
        AS)

        Ryan

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • alan_r_young@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27 10:31 AM
          Hi
          Thanks for replying, I am running ActiveState Perl.
          Here is my error message when I run soap_perl.asp

          ">Application failed during request deserialization: Can't locate
          MIME/Parser.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:\WINNT\Lite\{7BF2021E-79FD-
          43D1-A860-DC4417EE9F43}\ .) at SOAP/Lite.pm line 866.</faultstring>

          That is telling me that the parser is not installed, (I think).
          Any ideas??
          Alan

          --- In soaplite@y..., "Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)" <Ryan.Adams@l...>
          wrote:

          > Are you running ActiveState, Cygwin or did you build Perl
          yourself? I
          > belive ActiveState 5.6.1 comes with XML::Parser and expat as part
          of the
          > stock distribution. (Look for expat_win32.dll in your base Perl
          directory)

          > If you're running Cygwin, it is a little more work... (The trick is
          that the
          > dll must be in your PATH).
          >
          > Also, are the errors on "make" or "make test"? (Or 'nmake' if
          you're using
          > AS)
          >
          > Ryan

        • Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 27 10:50 AM
            First off, I'm no expert at this NT/ASP stuff, so feel free to ignore
            anything I say. :)

            At first glance, I would say that it looks like your @INC is pretty broken,
            but it is probably on the server side, when it is trying to parse the
            message.

            Almost certainly you have MIME::Parser installed stock with ActiveState, so
            that's probably not the problem.

            Go to a fresh DOS window and type "perl -V" and see what is in your @INC.

            Alternatively, somebody with more ASP experience might have a better
            perspective
            on how your @INC is getting munged. What does your server code look like?

            Good luck...

            Ryan

          • Michael Percy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 27 11:58 AM
              ActiveState actually *uses* SOAP::Lite for their ppm (perl package manager)
              thing. I believe it's the basis for their querying mechanism. ppm is like
              CPAN, but it also adds dependencies to the equation.

              I would suggest you download the latest version of perl from ActiveState
              www.activestate.com, and SOAP::Lite should work right "out of the box". I
              know it did for me on *my* NT box.

              To isolate your problem, do the following:
              1.) At the command prompt type:
              perl -e 'use SOAP::Lite;'

              If that returns an error then use the latest ActiveState Perl
              distribution and try again.

              Alternatively, if you are already running an old version of
              ActiveState, type "ppm" at the command prompt, and then when inside the ppm
              shell run "install soap-lite". This should install the whole thing for you
              (but only the latest version ActiveState supports, probably not the latest
              version from Paul), as well as take care of all dependencies, i.e.
              XML::Parser, if required. ppm rocks.

              Once you have installed ActiveState's version of SOAP::Lite + all
              its dependencies, you can install the latest version on top of it yourself.

              2.) If step 1 does not return an error, then your perl installation is
              fine and you have a misconfiguration in your IIS install, apparently. Not
              sure what to do about that, I have never used IIS...

              HTH,
              Mike

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27 2:40 PM
                OK thanks that gives me something to try
                Ok another question... assuming I get it installed right
                the soaplite.com web page shows a sample server but
                one line is very confusing to me..
                <%
                Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
                Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
                .server("SOAP::Server") _
                .dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules") _
                .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
                )
                %>

                the line that says
                .dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules") _

                begs the question, probably a stupid one
                are the depployed modules supposed to be in Perl
                or can they be in VB?
                If they are in VB, I cannot find one example of a VB module for a
                soap lite server.

                Any ideas for me, I feel stupid here...
                Alan Young

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 27 2:50 PM
                  Hello now I did run "install soap-lite"
                  and it says it cannot find a PPD file???

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 27 3:29 PM
                    That sounds strange. Maybe you need to upgrade to a recent distribution.
                    Here is a screen dump of a session I had:

                    --
                    C:\>perl -v

                    Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

                    Binary build 623 provided by ActiveState Tool Corp.
                    http://www.ActiveState.com
                    Built 16:27:07 Dec 15 2000

                    Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
                    the
                    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

                    this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
                    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

                    C:\>ppm
                    PPM interactive shell (2.1.2) - type 'help' for available commands.
                    PPM> search soap
                    Packages available from
                    http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer:
                    SOAP-AutoInvoke [0.25] SOAP mod_perl handler
                    SOAP-Lite [0.46] Library for SOAP clients and servers in Perl
                    SOAP-Lite-ActiveWorks [0.10] A SOAP Gateway into ActiveWorks Event Space
                    PPM> install soap=lite
                    Install package 'soap=lite?' (y/N): y
                    Installing package 'soap=lite'...
                    Error installing package 'soap=lite': Could not locate a PPD file for
                    package soap=lite
                    PPM> install soap-lite
                    Install package 'soap-lite?' (y/N): y
                    Installing package 'soap-lite'...
                    Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\SOAP\Lite\.packlist
                    PPM> quit
                    Quit!

                    C:\>
                    --

                    The PPD file thing above was because I mistyped the "soap-lite" as
                    "soap=lite". It means it cant find a corresponding perl package on the

                    Once I types the name correctly, it only said "updating .packlist" is
                    because Soap::Lite is already installed on my machine. If you were
                    installing for the first time you would see lots of files get installed.

                    Mike

                  • Dave Warner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2001
                      Actually, my stock install of ActivePerl did not have the MIME::Parser module installed. I had to install it via the package MIME-tools.

                      HTH.