RE: [soaplite] TCP Tunnel/Monitor (solution?)

  • Michael Percy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2001
      I think I have a possible solution for you guys, but I have never tried it
      or used tcptunnel.

      On Windows boxen, there is a "Hosts" file which hostname lookups check
      before going to DNS. This is analogous to /etc/hosts on a *NIX box.
      - On Win95/98/ME it is located at: C:\Windows\Hosts
      - On WinNT/2000 it is located at: C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts
      For more info on this check out http://www.jhsoft.com/help/df_hostsfile.htm

      Anyway, if you want to use tcptrace to see what Paul's services.soaplite.com
      server is sending you, try the following steps:

      1) Map out the tunnel using tcptrace, as usual.
      2) Add an entry in your Hosts file such as:
      127.0.0.1 localhost
      127.0.0.1 services.soaplite.com # <-- new (temporary) entry
      3) Use tcptrace with a soap::lite client as usual.

      REMEMBER!!! This WILL change the mapping of services.soaplite.com for your
      whole system! So change it back if you ever want to visit there with a
      browser or use a soap::lite client directly without going through tcptrace!

      This trick should technically also work on *NIX boxes, but I think tcptrace
      is a Windows-only program. There's gotta be something similar for *NIX
      though :)

      Hope this is useful/works. If anyone tries it let me know. :)

      Mike

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2001
        After thinking about this, inside tcptrace you would have to map your tunnel
        to services.soaplite.com's actual IP address (NOT its hostname).

        Then you would call your program in soap::lite with a proxy of
        "services.soaplite.com:8080" and this would map -> "127.0.0.1:8080", BUT it
        would now have a "Host:" header of "services.soaplite.com". This should
        allow the Virtual Host to work correctly.

        Hope this is clearer. And I'll let this thread die now, as apparently no one
        really cares anyway ;)

        Mike