TCP Tunnel/Monitor

  • aclarkdc@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2001
      Hi,

      I'm trying to use TCP Tunnel/Monitor to trace the SOAP messages
      flying between my SOAP client and the SOAP::Lite test services at
      services.soaplite.com. The Tunnel works great with other sites but
      when I try to use it with the aforementioned site I keep getting URL
      not found. Has anyone been able to get this working? I've tried
      ports 80 (e.g., java org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui 8080
      services.soaplite.com 80) and 8080 to no avail.
    • Ian Kallen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2001
        I use the tunnel often, invoked as

        java -classpath \
        /path/xerces.jar:/path/soap.jar:/path/mail.jar:/path/activation.jar \
        org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui 9876 soaphost 8080

        where 9876 is what is the port I point the client, soaphost is the SOAP
        server and 8080 is the port it's running on. You shouldn't
        theoretically need all of that stuff in your classpath for basic protocol
        sniffing but anyway, the above works!

        HTH,
        -Ian

        --
        Ian Kallen <spidaman@...> | AIM: iankallen

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2001
          Hi, aclarkdc!

          I had pretty much the same problem and have been told that it's
          because my server on soaplite.com is virtual and doesn't have fixed
          IP address, so can't be contacted just as domain:port. Can't tell you
          for sure what's wrong there (I would like to know myself), but I had
          this problem with TcpTunnelGui. Any ideas?

          Best wishes, Paul.

          --- aclarkdc@... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm trying to use TCP Tunnel/Monitor to trace the SOAP messages
          > flying between my SOAP client and the SOAP::Lite test services at
          > services.soaplite.com. The Tunnel works great with other sites but
          >
          > when I try to use it with the aforementioned site I keep getting
          > URL
          > not found. Has anyone been able to get this working? I've tried
          > ports 80 (e.g., java org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui 8080
          > services.soaplite.com 80) and 8080 to no avail.

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Michael Percy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2001
            From working with Apache, I believe the only difference you should need to
            pay attention to with modern Virtual Hosts is that they require a "Host:"
            HTTP header.

            for example:
            ---- connect to services.soaplite.com IP address, on port 80 ----
            POST /someurl HTTP/1.1
            Host: services.soaplite.com
            ...etc

            So you need to have that "Host:" entry in your request or the server will
            not know where to look to serve you files. Maybe something the author of TCP
            Tunnel needs to take care of more than anything else, but it *is*
            protocol-specific (HTTP) so I'm not sure what the cause is... maybe HTTP
            Tunnel (by the same author) will work for you?

            If not, you would probably need some kind of real-time stream editing packet
            sniffer to force it to work ;) or get the source to the tunneling program
            and put in a dialog to modify the Host header in a virtual host situation.
            Either way, good luck to you :)

            Hope this helps,
            Mike