ANN: SOAP::Lite v0.51 released

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2001
      New version of SOAP::Lite released today (see Changes file for more
      information):

      ! fixed memory leak in SOAP::Parser (thanks to Ryan Adams and Michael
      Brown)
      ! fixed skipping undef elements in arrays under Perl 5.005 (thanks to
      Arne Georg Gleditsch)
      ! fixed POP3 server (thanks to Kevin Hutchinson)
      ! number of fixes in XMLRPC::Lite
      fixed <string> requirement (thanks to Matthew Krenzer and Dana
      Powers)
      fixed empty slot skipping (thanks to Jon Udell)
      fixed serialization of "0"/""/undef values (thanks to Michael E.
      Gage)
      fixed autodispatch (thanks to Craig Kelley)
      + added support for SOAP 1.2 (spec is still in draft, implementation
      is subject to change)
      + added extended array support (only in deserializer)
      + modified XML::Parser::Lite to work on Perl 5.005 (thanks to John
      Gotts)
      + modified deserializer to work with different schemas (1999/2001)
      + added JABBER transport
      + added MQ transport
      + added mod_xmlrpc transport (Apache::XMLRPC::Lite)
      + added TCP over SSL transport
      + added non-blocking TCP multiserver
      + included FastCGI transport (thanks to Marko Asplund
      <marko.asplund@...>)
      + added support for import directive in WSDL
      + added support for short (tModel) WSDL service descriptions
      + added support for multiple services/ports and allowed non-SOAP
      bindings in WSDL
      + added full search example UDDI->WSDL->SOAP (fullsearch.pl)
      + added charset in response message for HTTP transport
      + modified dispatch for XMLRPC server to work exactly as for SOAP
      server
      + added example with Inline::C module (inline.daemon).
      Dispatch to C, C++, assembler, Java, Python and Tcl :).
      + all transport are available for both SOAP::Lite and XMLRPC::Lite:
      HTTP (daemon, CGI, mod_perl), SMTP/POP3, TCP, IO, JABBER, MQ
      + tested on Perl 5.00503, 5.6.0, 5.6.1, 5.7.1 and 5.7.2
      + updated documentation and added new examples

      Module is available from http://www.soaplite.com/,
      and will be available from CPAN soon
      (http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=SOAP-Lite).

      Comments are more than welcome. I won't be able to react quick during
      the next week (will be busy with Open Source Conference in SanDiego),
      but I'll try to read mail and reply on most urgent. Thank you.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Michael Percy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2001
        Woohoo! Paul kicks ass! :)

        Mike
      • paulclinger@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2001
          Hi, Michael!

          --- In soaplite@y..., Michael Percy <mpercy@p...> wrote:
          > Woohoo! Paul kicks ass! :)
          :). Thanks. Hope everything that included will work. I tried hard to
          test it on many platforms, perl versions and environments.

          Couple of thing that I didn't finish yet: COM interface is not
          updated and will not be updated till the end of July (I'm waiting for
          updated PDK-3.0.0.302). You CAN compile it yourself, but DLLs on site
          are v0.50. FastCGI and SSL over TCP are not tested extensively.

          Actually I expect that new release may break some code (hopefully not
          much), but new features will compensate inconvenience. I would like
          to let you know about features that are NOT there and are planned to
          be included in the next version. Here is list:

          Headers in WSDL
          SMTP/POP3 roundtrip (message-id, in-reply-to)
          SOAP::Context
          header processing
          async processing
          full mustUnderstand support
          pure RPC calls
          inheritance from remote classes
          Inline integration
          Document-style processing with less efforts on client and server side
          handle encoding based on charset rather than on XML declaration for
          HTTP
          finish Daemon selection :), probably use Net::Daemon
          start DBD::SOAP

          I also did not apply optimization patch from Douglas Bonar for my own
          reasons. Let me know if something is not on the list, but you think
          it should be there. Definitely let me know if new version break your
          code rather unexpectedly and you can't figure how to fix it even
          after reading INCOMPATIBILITIES section in README file. Also let me
          know if you find that some pieces are lack of documentation or
          examples. I included as much examples as I could, but not all new
          interfaces are documented.

          Enjoy and thank you all.

          Best wishes, Paul.
        • Douglas Bonar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2001
            paulclinger@... wrote:

            > I also did not apply optimization patch from Douglas Bonar for my own
            > reasons.

            No problem, it's your project. And the amount of stuff
            you have/are including is great. If the little chunk of code
            I played with needs to stay as it was so that it can be more easily
            changed later, that makes perfect sense.

            Thanks for the module,
            Doug
          • dpk
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 20, 2001
              There is a bug in the MRJ ( Macintosh Runtime for Java ) which does not
              supply the correct content-type header when making http requests. This
              causes interoperability problems when using a macintosh java client (
              Applet in IE5, for example ) to make SOAP/XMLRPC calls to a server
              running SOAP::Lite/XMLRPC::Lite . The exact problem is that the
              haha ). Here is a braindead patch, which I dont *really* expect to make
              it into the distribution, but if anyone is having problems with mac
              clients using java - this might help.

              This should work with both 0.50 + 0.51. Apply to SOAP::Transport::HTTP
              in the main soap dist like so:
              patch lib/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.pm mac.patch

              233a234
              > $content_type ne 'content-type' && ## Workaround a bug in the
              Macintosh Java Runtime

              Ive attached the patch file as well b/c Im not sure if the text above
              will line wrap or not.

              Paul, what are your feelings about specific client workarounds like
              this?
              dpk

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2001
                Hi, dpk!

                > Paul, what are your feelings about specific client workarounds like
                > this?
                Bad :)). I know it works, but I would rather do not include it into
                the distribution. What can be done? Something similar to
                LWP::Protocol hack (in the beginning of HTTP.pm). If inheritance
                can't fix it (and in this case it can't) i would do something like
                this:

                sub patch { local $^W;
                package SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server;
                my $handle = \&handle; # store original
                *handle = sub {
                my $self = shift->new;
                $self->request->content_type('text/xml')
                if $self->request->content_type eq 'content-type'
                goto &$handle;
                };
                *patch = sub {};
                }

                You need to run it once and it works for all HTTP-based transports
                (you may put it in BEGIN instead of 'sub patch'). You can store it in
                external module and run it right after
                'use SOAP::Transport::HTTP';

                If you want to do it absolutely right ;) and you're basically using
                only one transport class you may do something like that:

                package SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::Fixed;

                use vars qw(@ISA); @ISA = qw(SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon);

                sub new { patch; shift->SUPER::new(@_) }

                and then just do server code as usual, but use ::Fixed class.

                Let me know how it works for you and thanks for the patch and
                information :)

                Best wishes, Paul.