Re: soap client gets permission denied

  • prami_22
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
      here is my server & client code
      #-------------------server.cgi----------------------
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      ->dispatch_to('Demo')
      ->handle;

      package Demo;
      sub topic_list {
      $config_path ="/home/pramila/config";
      open(CONFIG, "< $config_path") or die "can't open $config_path: $!";
      my @lines = <CONFIG>;
      my @topics;
      foreach $line (@lines){
      if ($line =~ /keywords/){
      chomp $line;
      my ($key,$value) = split(/ /,$line);
      my @temp = split(/,/,$value);
      push (@topics,@temp);
      return @topics;
      }
      close(CONFIG);

      #--------------------------my_soap_client.pl-----------------
      #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use SOAP::Lite;

      my $soap = SOAP::Lite
      ->uri('Demo')
      ->proxy('http://10.77.97.204/soap/server.cgi');
      my $result =$soap->topic_list();
      unless ($result->fault) {
      print $result->result();
      } else {
      print join ', ',
      $result->faultcode,
      $result->faultstring;
      }

      #------------------------------------------------------
      here is output after executing my_soap_client.pl

      soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

      -Regards,
      Pramila

      --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@...> wrote:

      > prami_22 wrote:
      > > I am writing a web service to return contents of a file
      > > At server side I can open a file & read contents but when client calls same method, I get permission denied error.
      > > Please explain why am I getting this error & how to avoid it
      >
      > You're getting it because you've done something wrong and you could
      > avoid it either by fixing it or by using a different solution.
      >
      > If you want some more specific help, posting your code and the actual
      > messages you see will help people to help you.
      >
      > Cheers, Dave

    • Chris Woodfield
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
        Please tell me that you've already verified that server.cgi is readable and executable by the (most likely unprivileged) UID that your apache daemon runs as...

        -C

        On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:43 55PM, prami_22 wrote:

        here is my server & client code
        #-------------------server.cgi----------------------
        #!/usr/bin
        soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

        -Regards,
        Pramila

        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@...> wrote:

        > prami_22 wrote:
        > > I am writing a web service to return contents of a file
        > > At server side I can open a file & read contents but when client calls same method, I get permission denied error.
        > > Please explain why am I getting this error & how to avoid it
        >
        > You're getting it because you've done something wrong and you could
        > avoid it either by fixing it or by using a different solution.
        >
        > If you want some more specific help, posting your code and the actual
        > messages you see will help people to help you.
        >
        > Cheers, Dave

      • Dave Howorth
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
          prami_22 wrote:
          [snip]
          > #------------------------------------------------------
          > here is output after executing my_soap_client.pl
          >
          > soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

          and so ... ????

          what have you done to investigate?????

          Does /home/pramila/config exist?
          What are its permissions?
          What user is your script running as?
        • Dave Howorth
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
            Chris Woodfield wrote:
            > Please tell me that you've already verified that server.cgi is readable
            > and executable by the (most likely unprivileged) UID that your apache
            > daemon runs as...

            I don't think it would get to line 13 if it wasn't accessible! :)
          • Chris Woodfield
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
              Correction: /home/pramila/config needs to be reachable by apache, not server.cgi...

              -C

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                Yes , that was the problem. Though my file had 644 rights, it was not readable by apache. After I added user apache to my group, client could read it

                Thanks Chris, & all others who replied

                -Regards,
                Pramila