Re: [soaplite] soap client gets permission denied

  • Dave Howorth
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
      prami_22 wrote:
      > I am writing a web service to return contents of a file
      > At server side I can open a file & read contents but when client calls same method, I get permission denied error.
      > Please explain why am I getting this error & how to avoid it

      You're getting it because you've done something wrong and you could
      avoid it either by fixing it or by using a different solution.

      If you want some more specific help, posting your code and the actual
      messages you see will help people to help you.

      Cheers, Dave
    • prami_22
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
        here is my server & client code
        #-------------------server.cgi----------------------
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
        ->dispatch_to('Demo')
        ->handle;

        package Demo;
        sub topic_list {
        $config_path ="/home/pramila/config";
        open(CONFIG, "< $config_path") or die "can't open $config_path: $!";
        my @lines = <CONFIG>;
        my @topics;
        foreach $line (@lines){
        if ($line =~ /keywords/){
        chomp $line;
        my ($key,$value) = split(/ /,$line);
        my @temp = split(/,/,$value);
        push (@topics,@temp);
        return @topics;
        }
        close(CONFIG);

        #--------------------------my_soap_client.pl-----------------
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w

        use SOAP::Lite;

        my $soap = SOAP::Lite
        ->uri('Demo')
        ->proxy('http://10.77.97.204/soap/server.cgi');
        my $result =$soap->topic_list();
        unless ($result->fault) {
        print $result->result();
        } else {
        print join ', ',
        $result->faultcode,
        $result->faultstring;
        }

        #------------------------------------------------------
        here is output after executing my_soap_client.pl

        soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

        -Regards,
        Pramila

        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@...> wrote:

        > prami_22 wrote:
        > > I am writing a web service to return contents of a file
        > > At server side I can open a file & read contents but when client calls same method, I get permission denied error.
        > > Please explain why am I getting this error & how to avoid it
        >
        > You're getting it because you've done something wrong and you could
        > avoid it either by fixing it or by using a different solution.
        >
        > If you want some more specific help, posting your code and the actual
        > messages you see will help people to help you.
        >
        > Cheers, Dave

      • Chris Woodfield
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2010
          Please tell me that you've already verified that server.cgi is readable and executable by the (most likely unprivileged) UID that your apache daemon runs as...

          -C

          On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:43 55PM, prami_22 wrote:

          here is my server & client code
          #-------------------server.cgi----------------------
          #!/usr/bin
          soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

          -Regards,
          Pramila

          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@...> wrote:

          > prami_22 wrote:
          > > I am writing a web service to return contents of a file
          > > At server side I can open a file & read contents but when client calls same method, I get permission denied error.
          > > Please explain why am I getting this error & how to avoid it
          >
          > You're getting it because you've done something wrong and you could
          > avoid it either by fixing it or by using a different solution.
          >
          > If you want some more specific help, posting your code and the actual
          > messages you see will help people to help you.
          >
          > Cheers, Dave

        • Dave Howorth
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
            prami_22 wrote:
            [snip]
            > #------------------------------------------------------
            > here is output after executing my_soap_client.pl
            >
            > soap:Server, can't open /home/pramila/config: Permission denied at /var/www/html/soap/server.cgi line 13.

            and so ... ????

            what have you done to investigate?????

            Does /home/pramila/config exist?
            What are its permissions?
            What user is your script running as?
          • Dave Howorth
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
              Chris Woodfield wrote:
              > Please tell me that you've already verified that server.cgi is readable
              > and executable by the (most likely unprivileged) UID that your apache
              > daemon runs as...

              I don't think it would get to line 13 if it wasn't accessible! :)
            • Chris Woodfield
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                Correction: /home/pramila/config needs to be reachable by apache, not server.cgi...

                -C

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Yes , that was the problem. Though my file had 644 rights, it was not readable by apache. After I added user apache to my group, client could read it

                  Thanks Chris, & all others who replied

                  -Regards,
                  Pramila