Re: [soaplite] How do I add custom trace callbacks?

  • rahed
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
      Petar Shangov <pshangov@...> writes:

      > Hi, I have tried enabling all traces but that is no what I need. +trace->'all' gives me this:
      >
      > SOAP::Transport::new: ()
      > SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
      > SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
      > SOAP::Parser::new: ()
      > SOAP::Server::new: ()
      > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server::new: ()
      > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::new: ()
      > Contact to SOAP server at http://localhost:8080/
      > SOAP::Server::handle: ()
      > SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
      > SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
      > SOAP::SOM::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      > (eval): HASH(0x145635c) HASH(0x1471264)
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Server::handle: SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
      > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
      > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: get_setResponse SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::Data::new: ()
      > SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()

      Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
      call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.

      I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
      is called wrongly.

      For instance when calling

      $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
      uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
      proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
      );

      the trace is like this:

      SOAP::Transport::new: ()
      SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
      SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
      SOAP::Parser::new: ()
      SOAP::Lite::new: ()
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::new: ()
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Lite::call: ()
      SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
      SOAP::Serializer::envelope: GetCitiesByCountry SOAP::Data=HASH(0xe91964)
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Data::new: ()
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Request=HASH(0xea1d14)
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx HTTP/1.1
      Accept: text/xml
      Accept: multipart/*
      Accept: application/soap
      SOAPAction: http://www.webserviceX.NET/GetCitiesByCountry

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <soap:Envelope
      soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
      <soap:Body>
      <GetCitiesByCountry xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET">
      <CountryName xsi:type="xsd:string">Singapore</CountryName>
      </GetCitiesByCountry>
      </soap:Body>
      </soap:Envelope>
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x1091a9c)
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
      Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
      Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:36:05 GMT
      Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><GetCitiesByCountryResponse xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET"><GetCitiesByCountryResult><NewDataSet>
      <Table>
      <Country>Singapore</Country>
      <City>Singapore / Paya Lebar</City>
      </Table>
      <Table>
      <Country>Singapore</Country>
      <City>Singapore / Changi Airport</City>
      </Table>
      </NewDataSet></GetCitiesByCountryResult></GetCitiesByCountryResponse></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
      SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
      SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
      SOAP::SOM::new: ()
      SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Lite::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Serializer::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Transport::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Deserializer::DESTROY: ()
      SOAP::Parser::DESTROY: ()

      --
      Radek
    • Lee Carmichael
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Hello Petar,

        You can you be more specific by adding transport layer debugging:
        use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
        transport => sub { print "calls to transport for request and response\n";
        ];
        It is important to know that this must be defined before any other use SOAP::Lite statement (I'm not sure why but i had troubles with it other places).

        You can create smarter logging subs by doing the following (note: untested and brief):

        use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
        transport => &transport_logger
        ];

        sub transport_logger {
        my $in = shift; # SOAP::Lite pushes in the object its call

        ## only log request and responses
        return unless ref $in =~ /HTTP::(Request|Request)/'

        open my $fh, '>>', 'transport.log' or return;
        printf $fh "%s: %s\n", ref $in, ( $in->content ? $in->content : "N/A" );
        close $fh;

        return;
        }

        You can see more details about how SOAP::Trace works at: http://search.cpan.org/~mkutter/SOAP-Lite-0.710.08/lib/SOAP/Trace.pod
        I have a little write up on this at my blog: http://blog.leecarmichael.com/2009/03/adding-http-requestresponse-logging-to.html

        HTH,

        Lee

        > > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
        > > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
        > > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
        > > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
        > > development environment with SOAP::Transport: :HTTP::Daemon) I have
        > > tried:
        > >
        > > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}] ;
        > >
        > > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still
        > no result.
        > I simply use

      • Lee Carmichael
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
          Hello Petar,

          After seeing your example, I just realized that you are trying to debug a server. Sorry my last post won't be much help since it seems that transport level debugging is a client only option.

          It seems that most of the server code doesn't have any trace statements besides the empty create/destroy ones (you can see these as SOAP::Trace::trace( '()' ) ).

          You tell what is traceable by looking through the code for SOAP::Trace::<signal>. For example in SOAP::Lite under the package SOAP::Server you can see an entry like:

              SOAP::Trace::result(@results);

          It seems that you could get information from parameters or results for servers. Which doesn't strike me as terribly helpful.

          I did have an idea that i tested out. Since you said you were trying to debug request and responses, these will get passed to the deserializer and serializer. I was able to write a stub that logs the requests by sub classing the existing deserializer class into one that includes logging.

          Here is an example:

          #!/usr/local/bin/perl5

          use SOAP::Lite +trace => 'all';
          use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
          use warnings;
          use strict;

          package DebugDS;

          use SOAP::Lite;
          use Data::Dumper qw(Dumper);
          our @ISA =  qw( SOAP::Deserializer ); ## can't use base due to error about deserializer not returning true...

          sub deserialize {
              SOAP::Trace::trace('()');
              my $self = shift;

              SOAP::Trace::trace( $_[0] );

              return $self->SUPER::deserialize( @_ );
          }

          package main;

          my $daemon;
          my $end_port = 9905;
          my $started = 0;

          foreach (my $port = 9900; $port <= $end_port; $port++ ) {
              eval {
                  $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
                      -> new( LocalAddr => 'localhost', LocalPort => $port )
                      -> dispatch_to( '../../lib/', 'TestSoap' )
                      -> deserializer( DebugDS->new );
              };

              if (!$@) {
                  $started = 1;
                  last;

          if (! $started ) { die "ERROR: Failed to start webserver: $@\n"; }

          print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, " ($$)\n";

          $daemon->handle;

          exit;

          I'm sure you could do something similar to SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon by using a sub class to do custom processing of the accept and dumping out the request/response content. Maybe I'll look at that tonight.

          HTH,

          Lee
        • Petar Shangov
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
            Hi,

            thanks to everyone who responded.

            > Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
            > call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.
            >
            > I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
            > is called wrongly.
            >
            > For instance when calling
            >
            > $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
            > uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
            > proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
            > );
            >
            > the trace is like this:

            rahed,

            the problem turned out to be that all the relevant tracing calls are made inside SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client and so this code does not work when S::L is used as a server, which is my case.