Re: How do I add custom trace callbacks?

  • Petar Shangov
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
      Hi,

      I have attached a sample test script that produces no output on my machine.

      Regards,

      Petar

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Petar Shangov <pshangov@...> writes:

        > Hi, I have tried enabling all traces but that is no what I need. +trace->'all' gives me this:
        >
        > SOAP::Transport::new: ()
        > SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
        > SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
        > SOAP::Parser::new: ()
        > SOAP::Server::new: ()
        > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server::new: ()
        > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::new: ()
        > Contact to SOAP server at http://localhost:8080/
        > SOAP::Server::handle: ()
        > SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
        > SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
        > SOAP::SOM::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        > (eval): HASH(0x145635c) HASH(0x1471264)
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Server::handle: SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
        > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
        > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: get_setResponse SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::Data::new: ()
        > SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()

        Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
        call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.

        I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
        is called wrongly.

        For instance when calling

        $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
        uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
        proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
        );

        the trace is like this:

        SOAP::Transport::new: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
        SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
        SOAP::Parser::new: ()
        SOAP::Lite::new: ()
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Lite::call: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::envelope: GetCitiesByCountry SOAP::Data=HASH(0xe91964)
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Request=HASH(0xea1d14)
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx HTTP/1.1
        Accept: text/xml
        Accept: multipart/*
        Accept: application/soap
        SOAPAction: http://www.webserviceX.NET/GetCitiesByCountry

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <soap:Envelope
        soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
        <soap:Body>
        <GetCitiesByCountry xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET">
        <CountryName xsi:type="xsd:string">Singapore</CountryName>
        </GetCitiesByCountry>
        </soap:Body>
        </soap:Envelope>
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x1091a9c)
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
        Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:36:05 GMT
        Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><GetCitiesByCountryResponse xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET"><GetCitiesByCountryResult><NewDataSet>
        <Table>
        <Country>Singapore</Country>
        <City>Singapore / Paya Lebar</City>
        </Table>
        <Table>
        <Country>Singapore</Country>
        <City>Singapore / Changi Airport</City>
        </Table>
        </NewDataSet></GetCitiesByCountryResult></GetCitiesByCountryResponse></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
        SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
        SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
        SOAP::SOM::new: ()
        SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Lite::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Transport::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Deserializer::DESTROY: ()
        SOAP::Parser::DESTROY: ()

        --
        Radek
      • Lee Carmichael
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
          Hello Petar,

          You can you be more specific by adding transport layer debugging:
          use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
          transport => sub { print "calls to transport for request and response\n";
          ];
          It is important to know that this must be defined before any other use SOAP::Lite statement (I'm not sure why but i had troubles with it other places).

          You can create smarter logging subs by doing the following (note: untested and brief):

          use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
          transport => &transport_logger
          ];

          sub transport_logger {
          my $in = shift; # SOAP::Lite pushes in the object its call

          ## only log request and responses
          return unless ref $in =~ /HTTP::(Request|Request)/'

          open my $fh, '>>', 'transport.log' or return;
          printf $fh "%s: %s\n", ref $in, ( $in->content ? $in->content : "N/A" );
          close $fh;

          return;
          }

          You can see more details about how SOAP::Trace works at: http://search.cpan.org/~mkutter/SOAP-Lite-0.710.08/lib/SOAP/Trace.pod
          I have a little write up on this at my blog: http://blog.leecarmichael.com/2009/03/adding-http-requestresponse-logging-to.html

          HTH,

          Lee

          > > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
          > > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
          > > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
          > > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
          > > development environment with SOAP::Transport: :HTTP::Daemon) I have
          > > tried:
          > >
          > > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}] ;
          > >
          > > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still
          > no result.
          > I simply use

        • Lee Carmichael
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
            Hello Petar,

            After seeing your example, I just realized that you are trying to debug a server. Sorry my last post won't be much help since it seems that transport level debugging is a client only option.

            It seems that most of the server code doesn't have any trace statements besides the empty create/destroy ones (you can see these as SOAP::Trace::trace( '()' ) ).

            You tell what is traceable by looking through the code for SOAP::Trace::<signal>. For example in SOAP::Lite under the package SOAP::Server you can see an entry like:

                SOAP::Trace::result(@results);

            It seems that you could get information from parameters or results for servers. Which doesn't strike me as terribly helpful.

            I did have an idea that i tested out. Since you said you were trying to debug request and responses, these will get passed to the deserializer and serializer. I was able to write a stub that logs the requests by sub classing the existing deserializer class into one that includes logging.

            Here is an example:

            #!/usr/local/bin/perl5

            use SOAP::Lite +trace => 'all';
            use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
            use warnings;
            use strict;

            package DebugDS;

            use SOAP::Lite;
            use Data::Dumper qw(Dumper);
            our @ISA =  qw( SOAP::Deserializer ); ## can't use base due to error about deserializer not returning true...

            sub deserialize {
                SOAP::Trace::trace('()');
                my $self = shift;

                SOAP::Trace::trace( $_[0] );

                return $self->SUPER::deserialize( @_ );
            }

            package main;

            my $daemon;
            my $end_port = 9905;
            my $started = 0;

            foreach (my $port = 9900; $port <= $end_port; $port++ ) {
                eval {
                    $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
                        -> new( LocalAddr => 'localhost', LocalPort => $port )
                        -> dispatch_to( '../../lib/', 'TestSoap' )
                        -> deserializer( DebugDS->new );
                };

                if (!$@) {
                    $started = 1;
                    last;

            if (! $started ) { die "ERROR: Failed to start webserver: $@\n"; }

            print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, " ($$)\n";

            $daemon->handle;

            exit;

            I'm sure you could do something similar to SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon by using a sub class to do custom processing of the accept and dumping out the request/response content. Maybe I'll look at that tonight.

            HTH,

            Lee
          • Petar Shangov
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
              Hi,

              thanks to everyone who responded.

              > Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
              > call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.
              >
              > I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
              > is called wrongly.
              >
              > For instance when calling
              >
              > $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
              > uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
              > proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
              > );
              >
              > the trace is like this:

              rahed,

              the problem turned out to be that all the relevant tracing calls are made inside SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client and so this code does not work when S::L is used as a server, which is my case.