Re: [soaplite] How do I add custom trace callbacks?

  • rahed
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 23, 2009
      Petar Shangov <pshangov@...> writes:

      > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
      > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
      > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
      > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
      > development environment with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon) I have
      > tried:
      >
      > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}];
      >
      > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still no result.
      I simply use

      use SOAP::Lite +trace=>'all';

      It's documented in SOAP::Trace.

      --
      Radek
    • Petar Shangov
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
        Hi, I have tried enabling all traces but that is no what I need. +trace->'all' gives me this:

        SOAP::Transport::new: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
        SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
        SOAP::Parser::new: ()
        SOAP::Server::new: ()
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server::new: ()
        SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::new: ()
        Contact to SOAP server at http://localhost:8080/
        SOAP::Server::handle: ()
        SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
        SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
        SOAP::SOM::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
        (eval): HASH(0x145635c) HASH(0x1471264)
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Server::handle: SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
        SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
        SOAP::Serializer::envelope: get_setResponse SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::Data::new: ()
        SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()

        I need to be able to print out the complete requests and responses, such as:

        <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:urn="urn:MyWebServices">
        <soapenv:Header/>
        <soapenv:Body>
        <urn:get_set>
        <parameter>
        </parameter>
        </urn:get_set>
        </soapenv:Body>
        </soapenv:Envelope>

        Regards,

        Petar

        > > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
        > > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
        > > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
        > > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
        > > development environment with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon) I have
        > > tried:
        > >
        > > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}];
        > >
        > > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still
        > no result.
        > I simply use
        >
        > use SOAP::Lite +trace=>'all';
        >
        > It's documented in SOAP::Trace.
        >
        > --
        > Radek

      • Petar Shangov
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
          Hi,

          Using WinXP, Strawbery Perl 5.10, latest SOAP::Lite from cpan. I am running the daemon script from the command line.

          Like I said, I tried printing to a file as well, just in case STDOUT got redirected somewhere, but that did not work either. I think the problem is with the callback not being invoked at all.

          > Peter, what environment is this? Unix or Windows? I believe the output will go
          > to stdout so you will have to run your daemon from the command line to see it.
          >
          > --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Petar Shangov wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
          > > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
          > > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
          > > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
          > > development environment with SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon) I have
          > > tried:
          > >
          > > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}];
          > >
          > > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still
          > no result.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Petar

        • Petar Shangov
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
            Hi,

            I have attached a sample test script that produces no output on my machine.

            Regards,

            Petar

            > Peter, if you want to you send me your code and I will try to run it in
            > my Linux environment. I can run it under my debugger and see if I can
            > see what is happening.
            > -
            > Regards,
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
            > None but ourselves can free our minds.
            > Bob Marley, Redemption Song
            >

            > On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 08:19 -0700, Petar Shangov wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Using WinXP, Strawbery Perl 5.10, latest SOAP::Lite from cpan. I am running
            > the daemon script from the command line.
            > >
            > > Like I said, I tried printing to a file as well, just in case STDOUT got
            > redirected somewhere, but that did not work either. I think the problem is with
            > the callback not being invoked at all.

          • rahed
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
              Petar Shangov <pshangov@...> writes:

              > Hi, I have tried enabling all traces but that is no what I need. +trace->'all' gives me this:
              >
              > SOAP::Transport::new: ()
              > SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
              > SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
              > SOAP::Parser::new: ()
              > SOAP::Server::new: ()
              > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Server::new: ()
              > SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon::new: ()
              > Contact to SOAP server at http://localhost:8080/
              > SOAP::Server::handle: ()
              > SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
              > SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
              > SOAP::SOM::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              > (eval): HASH(0x145635c) HASH(0x1471264)
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Server::handle: SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
              > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
              > SOAP::Serializer::envelope: get_setResponse SOAP::Data=HASH(0x14e7a7c)
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::Data::new: ()
              > SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()

              Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
              call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.

              I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
              is called wrongly.

              For instance when calling

              $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
              uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
              proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
              );

              the trace is like this:

              SOAP::Transport::new: ()
              SOAP::Serializer::new: ()
              SOAP::Deserializer::new: ()
              SOAP::Parser::new: ()
              SOAP::Lite::new: ()
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::new: ()
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Lite::call: ()
              SOAP::Serializer::envelope: ()
              SOAP::Serializer::envelope: GetCitiesByCountry SOAP::Data=HASH(0xe91964)
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Data::new: ()
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Request=HASH(0xea1d14)
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: POST http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx HTTP/1.1
              Accept: text/xml
              Accept: multipart/*
              Accept: application/soap
              SOAPAction: http://www.webserviceX.NET/GetCitiesByCountry

              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
              <soap:Envelope
              soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
              <soap:Body>
              <GetCitiesByCountry xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET">
              <CountryName xsi:type="xsd:string">Singapore</CountryName>
              </GetCitiesByCountry>
              </soap:Body>
              </soap:Envelope>
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x1091a9c)
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
              Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
              Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:36:05 GMT
              Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><GetCitiesByCountryResponse xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET"><GetCitiesByCountryResult><NewDataSet>
              <Table>
              <Country>Singapore</Country>
              <City>Singapore / Paya Lebar</City>
              </Table>
              <Table>
              <Country>Singapore</Country>
              <City>Singapore / Changi Airport</City>
              </Table>
              </NewDataSet></GetCitiesByCountryResult></GetCitiesByCountryResponse></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
              SOAP::Deserializer::deserialize: ()
              SOAP::Parser::decode: ()
              SOAP::SOM::new: ()
              SOAP::SOM::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Lite::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Serializer::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Data::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Transport::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Deserializer::DESTROY: ()
              SOAP::Parser::DESTROY: ()

              --
              Radek
            • Lee Carmichael
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 24, 2009
                Hello Petar,

                You can you be more specific by adding transport layer debugging:
                use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
                transport => sub { print "calls to transport for request and response\n";
                ];
                It is important to know that this must be defined before any other use SOAP::Lite statement (I'm not sure why but i had troubles with it other places).

                You can create smarter logging subs by doing the following (note: untested and brief):

                use SOAP::Lite +trace => [
                transport => &transport_logger
                ];

                sub transport_logger {
                my $in = shift; # SOAP::Lite pushes in the object its call

                ## only log request and responses
                return unless ref $in =~ /HTTP::(Request|Request)/'

                open my $fh, '>>', 'transport.log' or return;
                printf $fh "%s: %s\n", ref $in, ( $in->content ? $in->content : "N/A" );
                close $fh;

                return;
                }

                You can see more details about how SOAP::Trace works at: http://search.cpan.org/~mkutter/SOAP-Lite-0.710.08/lib/SOAP/Trace.pod
                I have a little write up on this at my blog: http://blog.leecarmichael.com/2009/03/adding-http-requestresponse-logging-to.html

                HTH,

                Lee

                > > Hi, I have a SOAP::Lite based server and an need to enable soma
                > > advanced debugging. In particular, I need to print out the full
                > > requests and responses for each call. But I cannot get my callbacks to
                > > get invoked. In my soap server script (currently running in a
                > > development environment with SOAP::Transport: :HTTP::Daemon) I have
                > > tried:
                > >
                > > use SOAP::Lite +trace => [debug => sub {print "test!\n";}] ;
                > >
                > > but nothing happens. I have tried printing to a filehandle as well, but still
                > no result.
                > I simply use

              • Lee Carmichael
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
                  Hello Petar,

                  After seeing your example, I just realized that you are trying to debug a server. Sorry my last post won't be much help since it seems that transport level debugging is a client only option.

                  It seems that most of the server code doesn't have any trace statements besides the empty create/destroy ones (you can see these as SOAP::Trace::trace( '()' ) ).

                  You tell what is traceable by looking through the code for SOAP::Trace::<signal>. For example in SOAP::Lite under the package SOAP::Server you can see an entry like:

                      SOAP::Trace::result(@results);

                  It seems that you could get information from parameters or results for servers. Which doesn't strike me as terribly helpful.

                  I did have an idea that i tested out. Since you said you were trying to debug request and responses, these will get passed to the deserializer and serializer. I was able to write a stub that logs the requests by sub classing the existing deserializer class into one that includes logging.

                  Here is an example:

                  #!/usr/local/bin/perl5

                  use SOAP::Lite +trace => 'all';
                  use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
                  use warnings;
                  use strict;

                  package DebugDS;

                  use SOAP::Lite;
                  use Data::Dumper qw(Dumper);
                  our @ISA =  qw( SOAP::Deserializer ); ## can't use base due to error about deserializer not returning true...

                  sub deserialize {
                      SOAP::Trace::trace('()');
                      my $self = shift;

                      SOAP::Trace::trace( $_[0] );

                      return $self->SUPER::deserialize( @_ );
                  }

                  package main;

                  my $daemon;
                  my $end_port = 9905;
                  my $started = 0;

                  foreach (my $port = 9900; $port <= $end_port; $port++ ) {
                      eval {
                          $daemon = SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon
                              -> new( LocalAddr => 'localhost', LocalPort => $port )
                              -> dispatch_to( '../../lib/', 'TestSoap' )
                              -> deserializer( DebugDS->new );
                      };

                      if (!$@) {
                          $started = 1;
                          last;

                  if (! $started ) { die "ERROR: Failed to start webserver: $@\n"; }

                  print "Contact to SOAP server at ", $daemon->url, " ($$)\n";

                  $daemon->handle;

                  exit;

                  I'm sure you could do something similar to SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon by using a sub class to do custom processing of the accept and dumping out the request/response content. Maybe I'll look at that tonight.

                  HTH,

                  Lee
                • Petar Shangov
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 25, 2009
                    Hi,

                    thanks to everyone who responded.

                    > Apparently you access your local server. I haven't tried this. When you
                    > call a remote host you must get what you want, xml request & response.
                    >
                    > I guess the trace is not enabled for your particular case or the service
                    > is called wrongly.
                    >
                    > For instance when calling
                    >
                    > $soap = SOAP::Lite->new(
                    > uri => ("http://www.webserviceX.NET"),
                    > proxy => ('http://www.webservicex.com/globalweather.asmx' ),
                    > );
                    >
                    > the trace is like this:

                    rahed,

                    the problem turned out to be that all the relevant tracing calls are made inside SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client and so this code does not work when S::L is used as a server, which is my case.