RE: [soaplite] Re: How to get errors

  • pat.mariani@att.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
      I'm not a great perl person, but doesn't using eval put the fault string
      out of scope for the block in which you are attempting to print?

      I've always been able to get the error message back - and I never use eval
      (i understand that it is handy for trapping errors and not crashing the script)

      someone more perlwise help out here?

      also, why are you testing the error path through your code, or do
      you really want to send a single param in your call ?
      (as opposed to teInput( "lala", "lulu" );)

      -------------- Original message from "Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)" <extern.lars.oeschey@...>: --------------

      > You will find that the "500 Internal Server Error" is returned for
      > many cases where there is a problem on the server side like missing
      > parameters or restrictive file permissions. The 500 error is what I
      > would expect for the situation you describe.
      > It would be nice to get something more descriptive from SOAP.
      > However, the error condition you describe is not a problem with SOAP
      > (transport), but a problem with the service/subroutine itself. If
      > you have access to the parameter list on the server side before it's
      > (automatically? ) parsed, you should be able to check that list and
      > return your own SOAP error code and string if parameters are missing
      > or invalid.

      hm, I asked the company that is responsible for the server side of the
      SOAP I use. They told me they send a faultcode etc., it looks like this:

      HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
      Connection: close
      Server: Indy/9.0.18
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF- 8"?>
      <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas. xmlsoap.org/ soap/envelope/"
      xmlns:soap-enc= "http://schemas. xmlsoap.org/ soap/encoding/"
      xmlns:xs="http://www.w3. org/2001/ XMLSchema"
      xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3. org/2001/ XMLSchema- instance">
      <soap:Body>
      <soap:Fault>
      <soap:faultcode> soap:Server< /soap:faultcode>
      <soap:faultstring>
      IdSoapRpcXml. TIdSoapReaderXML .GetParameter: Parameter
      &#34;in2&#34; not found in list &#34;&#34;
      </soap:faultstring>
      <detail xsi:type="EIdSoapRe quirementFail" ></detail>
      </soap:Fault>
      </soap:Body>
      </soap:Envelope>

      However with your example code

      use SOAP::Lite;
      $soap= SOAP::Lite
      ->uri('http://soap. data.inform. com')
      ->proxy('http://soapserver. tld:3003/ soap/');

      eval {$soapReply = $soap->teInput( "lala,lulu" );};
      if ($@) {
      chomp ($@);
      print "Server Error ->" . $@ . "<-...skipping" ;
      }
      elsif ($soapReply- >fault) {
      print "Fault code from function ->" .
      $soapReply-> faultcode . "<-";
      print "Fault string from function ->" .
      $soapReply-> faultstring . "<-...skipping" ;
      }
      else {
      print $soapReply;
      }

      I get nothing more than the 500 Server error. I think I should also get
      the soap->faultcode etc., something must be still wrong on my side
      then...

    • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
        > I'm not a great perl person, but doesn't using eval put the fault
        string
        > out of scope for the block in which you are attempting to print?

        I also practically never used eval, so I don't know ;)

        > I've always been able to get the error message back - and I
        > never use eval
        > (i understand that it is handy for trapping errors and not
        > crashing the script)

        The eval was a workaround, since without using it, I wouldn't get
        *anything* back in case of error, the http 500 error wouldn't even come
        back to me, and I had no idea if the call was successful.

        > also, why are you testing the error path through your code, or do
        > you really want to send a single param in your call ?
        > (as opposed to teInput("lala", "lulu");)

        hm, what do you mean?

        Lars
      • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
          I got a bit further on this, though not very successful. Using the
          ->trace method of SOAP::Lite, I could see what I'm sending and
          receiving:

          sent:

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance"
          xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.
          org/soap/encoding/"
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <namesp1:teInput xmlns:namesp1="http://soap.data.inform.com">
          <c-gensym3 xsi:type="xsd:string">MAN9999999/1</c-gensym3>
          <c-gensym5 xsi:type="xsd:string">LAD1020</c-gensym5>
          <c-gensym7 xsi:type="xsd:int">1</c-gensym7>
          </namesp1:teInput>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          received:

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          xmlns:soap-enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          xmlns:xs="http://www.
          w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
          <soap:Body>
          <soap:Fault>
          <soap:faultcode>soap:Server</soap:faultcode>
          <soap:faultstring>IdSoapRpcXml.TIdSoapReaderXML.GetParameter: Parameter
          "in2" not found in list
          "c-gensym3,c-gensym5,c-gensym7"</soap:faultstring>
          <detail xsi:type="EIdSoapRequirementFail"></detail>
          </soap:Fault>
          </soap:Body>
          </soap:Envelope>

          looking at the wsdl file, I see that the third parameter should be
          string, while I send int (though I didn't do anything, somewhere it gets
          autotyped):

          <message name="teInput">
          <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
          <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
          <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
          </message>

          So this is the reason, why it's denied. But: Why don't I get the fault
          parameters? With this:

          use SOAP::Lite;# +trace => [qw(all)];
          my $soap= SOAP::Lite
          ->uri('http://soap.data.inform.com')
          ->proxy('http://audiinsa00220.in.audi.vwg:3003/soap/');

          my $som=$soap->teInput("MAN9999999/1", "LAD1020", "1");

          if ($som->fault) {
          print $som->faultdetail;
          print $som->faultcode;
          print $som->faultstring;
          print $som->faultactor;
          }

          I only get:
          500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6

          and: How can I force the parameter to be a string?

          Lars
        • patrick mariani
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
            eval is typically used to catch a critical error - exactly as  you said where perl
            does not return.

            the parameter missing error you are receiving is because it expects two (3)
            args, and you were only sending one - now, you do need to get your
            error detection working - and i haven't had any problem printing
            the faultcode and strings -

            i recommend you read the wsdl with soap lite that will get the type correct.
            in your second response

            faultstring may only contain
            "500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6"

            perhaps your server side code is bad?

            -

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
              > the parameter missing error you are receiving is because it
              > expects two (3)
              > args, and you were only sending one - now, you do need to get your
              > error detection working - and i haven't had any problem printing
              > the faultcode and strings -
              > i recommend you read the wsdl with soap lite that will get
              > the type correct.
              > in your second response

              as you can see from the post after that one (btw, this is the slowest
              list I know, not from participants but post speed, i.e. yahoo ;)), I've
              been able to trace sent and received stuff. I also managed meanwhile, to
              force the third parameter into "string" type, which can be seen with the
              trace. I still get the same error from the other side, which I blame on
              the server side now, but I still don't get the faultcode/string, and it
              definitely is sent (which is also seen in the trace mentioned in the
              previous mail)

              > faultstring may only contain
              > "500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6"
              > perhaps your server side code is bad?

              maybe server-side code is bad... but the 500 Message comes not from
              *within* SOAP but is just the transport error (same as with a web
              server). I do see the SOAP fault in the trace, and it looks like it
              should be captured by SOAP::Lite, but it isn't...

              regards, Lars
            • rahed
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 4, 2008
                > <message name="teInput">
                > <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
                > <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
                > <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
                > </message>

                First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                description.
                Something like this:

                my $som=$soap->teInput(
                SOAP::Data->name(in0 => 'MAN9999999/1'),
                SOAP::Data->name(in1 => 'LAD1020'),
                SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                1)->type('string'),
                );

                --
                Radek
              • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2008
                  > > <message name="teInput">
                  > > <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
                  > > <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
                  > > <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
                  > > </message>
                  >
                  > First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                  > description.
                  > Something like this:
                  >
                  > my $som=$soap->teInput(
                  > SOAP::Data->name(in0 =>
                  > 'MAN9999999/1'),
                  > SOAP::Data->name(in1 =>
                  > 'LAD1020'),
                  > SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                  > 1)->type('string'),

                  great, this works! Thanks a lot! Would you mind explaining what the
                  difference is now? Can I maybe read up somewhere about generic Soap
                  handling? It seems my fault was just not following "best practice", so
                  I'd like to know what "best practice" would be ;)

                  Lars
                • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 6, 2008
                    > First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                    > description.
                    > Something like this:
                    >
                    > my $som=$soap->teInput(
                    > SOAP::Data->name(in0 =>
                    > 'MAN9999999/1'),
                    > SOAP::Data->name(in1 =>
                    > 'LAD1020'),
                    > SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                    > 1)->type('string'),

                    This works good for the positive case (i.e. all values are good). If I
                    want to get an error, by sending the last value as string, I should get
                    an error from $som->fault however. I only get a http 500 error. The
                    trace contains the fault though:

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soap:Envelope
                    xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/s
                    oap/encoding/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
                    soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                    xmlns:soap="http://schemas.
                    xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><soap:Body><teInput
                    xmlns="http://soap.data.inform.com"><in0
                    xsi:type="xsd:string">MAN9999999/1</in0><in1 xsi:type="xsd:st
                    ring">LAD22010</in1><in2
                    xsi:type="xsd:int">1</in2></teInput></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
                    SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive:
                    HTTP::Response=HASH(0x1e38270)
                    SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal
                    Server Error
                    Cache-Control: proxy-revalidate
                    Connection: close
                    Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:44:41 GMT
                    Server: Indy/9.0.18
                    Client-Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:44:40 GMT
                    Client-Peer: 10.250.52.241:8080
                    Client-Response-Num: 1

                    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                    xmlns:soap-enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                    xmlns:xs="http://www.
                    w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
                    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><soap:Body><soap:F
                    ault><soap:faultcode>soap:Server</soap:faultcode><soap:
                    faultstring>Type Mismatch. For the parameter in2, the type found was
                    "int" in the namespace
                    "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", which
                    doesn't match any of the expected values:
                    {http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}string</soap:faultstring><detail
                    xsi:type="EIdSoapRequirementFail"></d
                    etail></soap:Fault></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

                    I'm trying to get the fault like this:

                    if ($som->fault) {
                    print $som->faultdetail; # returns value of 'detail' element as
                    # string or object
                    print $som->faultcode; #
                    print $som->faultstring; # also available
                    print $som->faultactor; #
                    }
                    else {print "result:$som\n";}
                  • rahed
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                      > I'm trying to get the fault like this:
                      >
                      > if ($som->fault) {
                      > print $som->faultdetail; # returns value of 'detail' element as
                      > # string or object
                      > print $som->faultcode; #
                      > print $som->faultstring; # also available
                      > print $som->faultactor; #
                      > }
                      > else {print "result:$som\n";}

                      You should get the fault this way. You may changed the $som object
                      before calling a fault method.

                      --
                      Radek
                    • rahed
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                        > great, this works! Thanks a lot! Would you mind explaining what the
                        > difference is now? Can I maybe read up somewhere about generic Soap
                        > handling? It seems my fault was just not following "best practice", so
                        > I'd like to know what "best practice" would be ;)

                        A request expects a soap structure which is done by SOAP::Data class.
                        Check the SOAP::Lite docs.

                        --
                        Radek