RE: [soaplite] Re: How to get errors

  • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 25, 2008
      > Try the following syntax:

      very nice, that works...

      another question, I didn't write the server part, but I have a feeling
      that it's not correctly implemented.
      If I give a wrong set of parameters to the SOAP Server, I'm just getting
      the http 500 Error. Though I think, I should get something in
      SOAP->faultcode and SOAP->faultstring to give a better Error Message.
      When the server is down, I get a http 503 Error, which is OK and should
      be the only case I get a http Error. Internally the SOAP Server logs a
      correct Error, i.e.

      25.09.2008 9:33:27 [ERROR] TIdSoapServer.HandleSoapRequest():
      IdSoapRpcXml.TIdSoapReaderXML.GetParameter: Parameter "in2" not found in
      list "c-gensym3"

      (that means parameter in2 is missing), shouldn't I get something like
      this back to the client?

      Lars
    • Lamar Hawkins
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2008
        You will find that the "500 Internal Server Error" is returned for
        many cases where there is a problem on the server side like missing
        parameters or restrictive file permissions. The 500 error is what I
        would expect for the situation you describe.

        It would be nice to get something more descriptive from SOAP.
        However, the error condition you describe is not a problem with SOAP
        (transport), but a problem with the service/subroutine itself. If
        you have access to the parameter list on the server side before it's
        (automatically?) parsed, you should be able to check that list and
        return your own SOAP error code and string if parameters are missing
        or invalid.

        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)"
        <extern.lars.oeschey@...> wrote:

        > > Try the following syntax:
        >
        > very nice, that works...
        >
        > another question, I didn't write the server part, but I have a
        feeling
        > that it's not correctly implemented.
        > If I give a wrong set of parameters to the SOAP Server, I'm just
        getting
        > the http 500 Error. Though I think, I should get something in
        > SOAP->faultcode and SOAP->faultstring to give a better Error
        Message.
        > When the server is down, I get a http 503 Error, which is OK and
        should
        > be the only case I get a http Error. Internally the SOAP Server
        logs a
        > correct Error, i.e.
        >
        > 25.09.2008 9:33:27 [ERROR] TIdSoapServer.HandleSoapRequest():
        > IdSoapRpcXml.TIdSoapReaderXML.GetParameter: Parameter "in2" not
        found in
        > list "c-gensym3"
        >
        > (that means parameter in2 is missing), shouldn't I get something
        like
        > this back to the client?
        >
        > Lars

      • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
          > You will find that the "500 Internal Server Error" is returned for
          > many cases where there is a problem on the server side like missing
          > parameters or restrictive file permissions. The 500 error is what I
          > would expect for the situation you describe.
          > It would be nice to get something more descriptive from SOAP.
          > However, the error condition you describe is not a problem with SOAP
          > (transport), but a problem with the service/subroutine itself. If
          > you have access to the parameter list on the server side before it's
          > (automatically?) parsed, you should be able to check that list and
          > return your own SOAP error code and string if parameters are missing
          > or invalid.

          hm, I asked the company that is responsible for the server side of the
          SOAP I use. They told me they send a faultcode etc., it looks like this:

          HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
          Connection: close
          Server: Indy/9.0.18
          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          xmlns:soap-enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          <soap:Body>
          <soap:Fault>
          <soap:faultcode>soap:Server</soap:faultcode>
          <soap:faultstring>
          IdSoapRpcXml.TIdSoapReaderXML.GetParameter: Parameter
          "in2" not found in list ""
          </soap:faultstring>
          <detail xsi:type="EIdSoapRequirementFail"></detail>
          </soap:Fault>
          </soap:Body>
          </soap:Envelope>

          However with your example code

          use SOAP::Lite;
          $soap= SOAP::Lite
          ->uri('http://soap.data.inform.com')
          ->proxy('http://soapserver.tld:3003/soap/');

          eval {$soapReply = $soap->teInput("lala,lulu");};
          if ($@) {
          chomp ($@);
          print "Server Error ->" . $@ . "<-...skipping";
          }
          elsif ($soapReply->fault) {
          print "Fault code from function ->" .
          $soapReply->faultcode . "<-";
          print "Fault string from function ->" .
          $soapReply->faultstring . "<-...skipping";
          }
          else {
          print $soapReply;
          }

          I get nothing more than the 500 Server error. I think I should also get
          the soap->faultcode etc., something must be still wrong on my side
          then...
        • pat.mariani@att.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2008
            I'm not a great perl person, but doesn't using eval put the fault string
            out of scope for the block in which you are attempting to print?

            I've always been able to get the error message back - and I never use eval
            (i understand that it is handy for trapping errors and not crashing the script)

            someone more perlwise help out here?

            also, why are you testing the error path through your code, or do
            you really want to send a single param in your call ?
            (as opposed to teInput( "lala", "lulu" );)

            -------------- Original message from "Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)" <extern.lars.oeschey@...>: --------------

            <soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://schemas. xmlsoap.org/ soap/envelope/"
            xmlns:soap-enc= "http://schemas. xmlsoap.org/ soap/encoding/"
            xmlns:xs="http://www.w3. org/2001/ XMLSchema"
            xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3. org/2001/ XMLSchema- instance">
            <soap:Body>
            <soap:Fault>
            <soap:faultcode> soap:Server< /soap:faultcode>
            <soap:faultstring>
            IdSoapRpcXml. TIdSoapReaderXML .GetParameter: Parameter
            &#34;in2&#34; not found in list &#34;&#34;

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
              > I'm not a great perl person, but doesn't using eval put the fault
              string
              > out of scope for the block in which you are attempting to print?

              I also practically never used eval, so I don't know ;)

              > I've always been able to get the error message back - and I
              > never use eval
              > (i understand that it is handy for trapping errors and not
              > crashing the script)

              The eval was a workaround, since without using it, I wouldn't get
              *anything* back in case of error, the http 500 error wouldn't even come
              back to me, and I had no idea if the call was successful.

              > also, why are you testing the error path through your code, or do
              > you really want to send a single param in your call ?
              > (as opposed to teInput("lala", "lulu");)

              hm, what do you mean?

              Lars
            • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
                I got a bit further on this, though not very successful. Using the
                ->trace method of SOAP::Lite, I could see what I'm sending and
                receiving:

                sent:

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance"
                xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.
                org/soap/encoding/"
                <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                <namesp1:teInput xmlns:namesp1="http://soap.data.inform.com">
                <c-gensym3 xsi:type="xsd:string">MAN9999999/1</c-gensym3>
                <c-gensym5 xsi:type="xsd:string">LAD1020</c-gensym5>
                <c-gensym7 xsi:type="xsd:int">1</c-gensym7>
                </namesp1:teInput>
                </SOAP-ENV:Body>
                </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

                received:

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                xmlns:soap-enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                xmlns:xs="http://www.
                w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
                <soap:Body>
                <soap:Fault>
                <soap:faultcode>soap:Server</soap:faultcode>
                <soap:faultstring>IdSoapRpcXml.TIdSoapReaderXML.GetParameter: Parameter
                "in2" not found in list
                "c-gensym3,c-gensym5,c-gensym7"</soap:faultstring>
                <detail xsi:type="EIdSoapRequirementFail"></detail>
                </soap:Fault>
                </soap:Body>
                </soap:Envelope>

                looking at the wsdl file, I see that the third parameter should be
                string, while I send int (though I didn't do anything, somewhere it gets
                autotyped):

                <message name="teInput">
                <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
                <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
                <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
                </message>

                So this is the reason, why it's denied. But: Why don't I get the fault
                parameters? With this:

                use SOAP::Lite;# +trace => [qw(all)];
                my $soap= SOAP::Lite
                ->uri('http://soap.data.inform.com')
                ->proxy('http://audiinsa00220.in.audi.vwg:3003/soap/');

                my $som=$soap->teInput("MAN9999999/1", "LAD1020", "1");

                if ($som->fault) {
                print $som->faultdetail;
                print $som->faultcode;
                print $som->faultstring;
                print $som->faultactor;
                }

                I only get:
                500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6

                and: How can I force the parameter to be a string?

                Lars
              • patrick mariani
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2008
                  eval is typically used to catch a critical error - exactly as  you said where perl
                  does not return.

                  the parameter missing error you are receiving is because it expects two (3)
                  args, and you were only sending one - now, you do need to get your
                  error detection working - and i haven't had any problem printing
                  the faultcode and strings -

                  i recommend you read the wsdl with soap lite that will get the type correct.
                  in your second response

                  faultstring may only contain
                  "500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6"

                  perhaps your server side code is bad?

                  -

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2008
                    > the parameter missing error you are receiving is because it
                    > expects two (3)
                    > args, and you were only sending one - now, you do need to get your
                    > error detection working - and i haven't had any problem printing
                    > the faultcode and strings -
                    > i recommend you read the wsdl with soap lite that will get
                    > the type correct.
                    > in your second response

                    as you can see from the post after that one (btw, this is the slowest
                    list I know, not from participants but post speed, i.e. yahoo ;)), I've
                    been able to trace sent and received stuff. I also managed meanwhile, to
                    force the third parameter into "string" type, which can be seen with the
                    trace. I still get the same error from the other side, which I blame on
                    the server side now, but I still don't get the faultcode/string, and it
                    definitely is sent (which is also seen in the trace mentioned in the
                    previous mail)

                    > faultstring may only contain
                    > "500 Internal Server Error at soaptest.pl line 6"
                    > perhaps your server side code is bad?

                    maybe server-side code is bad... but the 500 Message comes not from
                    *within* SOAP but is just the transport error (same as with a web
                    server). I do see the SOAP fault in the trace, and it looks like it
                    should be captured by SOAP::Lite, but it isn't...

                    regards, Lars
                  • rahed
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 4, 2008
                      > <message name="teInput">
                      > <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
                      > <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
                      > <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
                      > </message>

                      First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                      description.
                      Something like this:

                      my $som=$soap->teInput(
                      SOAP::Data->name(in0 => 'MAN9999999/1'),
                      SOAP::Data->name(in1 => 'LAD1020'),
                      SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                      1)->type('string'),
                      );

                      --
                      Radek
                    • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 6, 2008
                        > > <message name="teInput">
                        > > <part name="in0" type="xs:string"/>
                        > > <part name="in1" type="xs:string"/>
                        > > <part name="in2" type="xs:string"/>
                        > > </message>
                        >
                        > First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                        > description.
                        > Something like this:
                        >
                        > my $som=$soap->teInput(
                        > SOAP::Data->name(in0 =>
                        > 'MAN9999999/1'),
                        > SOAP::Data->name(in1 =>
                        > 'LAD1020'),
                        > SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                        > 1)->type('string'),

                        great, this works! Thanks a lot! Would you mind explaining what the
                        difference is now? Can I maybe read up somewhere about generic Soap
                        handling? It seems my fault was just not following "best practice", so
                        I'd like to know what "best practice" would be ;)

                        Lars
                      • Oeschey, Lars (I/ET-83, extern)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 6, 2008
                          > First don't input raw values to teInput function. Follow your service
                          > description.
                          > Something like this:
                          >
                          > my $som=$soap->teInput(
                          > SOAP::Data->name(in0 =>
                          > 'MAN9999999/1'),
                          > SOAP::Data->name(in1 =>
                          > 'LAD1020'),
                          > SOAP::Data->name(in2 =>
                          > 1)->type('string'),

                          This works good for the positive case (i.e. all values are good). If I
                          want to get an error, by sending the last value as string, I should get
                          an error from $som->fault however. I only get a http 500 error. The
                          trace contains the fault though:

                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soap:Envelope
                          xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/s
                          oap/encoding/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
                          soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                          xmlns:soap="http://schemas.
                          xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><soap:Body><teInput
                          xmlns="http://soap.data.inform.com"><in0
                          xsi:type="xsd:string">MAN9999999/1</in0><in1 xsi:type="xsd:st
                          ring">LAD22010</in1><in2
                          xsi:type="xsd:int">1</in2></teInput></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
                          SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive:
                          HTTP::Response=HASH(0x1e38270)
                          SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal
                          Server Error
                          Cache-Control: proxy-revalidate
                          Connection: close
                          Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:44:41 GMT
                          Server: Indy/9.0.18
                          Client-Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:44:40 GMT
                          Client-Peer: 10.250.52.241:8080
                          Client-Response-Num: 1

                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                          xmlns:soap-enc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
                          xmlns:xs="http://www.
                          w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
                          xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><soap:Body><soap:F
                          ault><soap:faultcode>soap:Server</soap:faultcode><soap:
                          faultstring>Type Mismatch. For the parameter in2, the type found was
                          "int" in the namespace
                          "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema", which
                          doesn't match any of the expected values:
                          {http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}string</soap:faultstring><detail
                          xsi:type="EIdSoapRequirementFail"></d
                          etail></soap:Fault></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

                          I'm trying to get the fault like this:

                          if ($som->fault) {
                          print $som->faultdetail; # returns value of 'detail' element as
                          # string or object
                          print $som->faultcode; #
                          print $som->faultstring; # also available
                          print $som->faultactor; #
                          }
                          else {print "result:$som\n";}
                        • rahed
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                            > I'm trying to get the fault like this:
                            >
                            > if ($som->fault) {
                            > print $som->faultdetail; # returns value of 'detail' element as
                            > # string or object
                            > print $som->faultcode; #
                            > print $som->faultstring; # also available
                            > print $som->faultactor; #
                            > }
                            > else {print "result:$som\n";}

                            You should get the fault this way. You may changed the $som object
                            before calling a fault method.

                            --
                            Radek
                          • rahed
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 8, 2008
                              > great, this works! Thanks a lot! Would you mind explaining what the
                              > difference is now? Can I maybe read up somewhere about generic Soap
                              > handling? It seems my fault was just not following "best practice", so
                              > I'd like to know what "best practice" would be ;)

                              A request expects a soap structure which is done by SOAP::Data class.
                              Check the SOAP::Lite docs.

                              --
                              Radek