Apache Restart & Performance Question(s)

  • bnyec
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2008
      My apologies if this has been explained before. I have set up a simple
      Soap server, and it is working as expected. However i do have one
      question,

      When adding or modifying modules in my dispatch_do directory, i have
      noticed changes do not go into effect until after i have restarted
      apache. (tested with CGI-based with mod_perl Apache::Registry module
      and mod_perl-based SOAP::Apache module)

      Looking through this list/docs/google didn't yield any solid
      explanations as to why. Can someone shed some light ??

      Also, (any test case scenarios welcome) which configuration is suited
      for best cpu/mem/performance ?

      I need to set up a server for my dept, as i don;t know what kind of
      load we are or might get yet, I just want to make sure whatever setup
      i choose, can handle whatever is thrown at it.

      Let me know if anyone would like/need more info,

      Thanks in advance.
      - B
    • Chris Woodfield
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2008
        This is because mod_perl keeps the code in memory (and as such,
        doesn't necessarily reload it when the code changes) - however you
        shouldn't need to stop and restart apache; a kill -HUP or /etc/init.d/
        apache reload should do the trick.

        -C

        On Aug 19, 2008, at 2:44 PM, bnyec wrote:

        > My apologies if this has been explained before. I have set up a simple
        > Soap server, and it is working as expected. However i do have one
        > question,
        >
        > When adding or modifying modules in my dispatch_do directory, i have
        > noticed changes do not go into effect until after i have restarted
        > apache. (tested with CGI-based with mod_perl Apache::Registry module
        > and mod_perl-based SOAP::Apache module)
        >
        > Looking through this list/docs/google didn't yield any solid
        > explanations as to why. Can someone shed some light ??
        >
        > Also, (any test case scenarios welcome) which configuration is suited
        > for best cpu/mem/performance ?
        >
        > I need to set up a server for my dept, as i don;t know what kind of
        > load we are or might get yet, I just want to make sure whatever setup
        > i choose, can handle whatever is thrown at it.
        >
        > Let me know if anyone would like/need more info,
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > - B

      • rahed
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 27, 2008
          > Also, (any test case scenarios welcome) which configuration is suited
          > for best cpu/mem/performance ?
          >
          > I need to set up a server for my dept, as i don;t know what kind of
          > load we are or might get yet, I just want to make sure whatever setup
          > i choose, can handle whatever is thrown at it.

          Have a look at JMeter at
          http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/

          --
          Radek