Re: oracle identity manager and SOAP

  • Andrej Ricnik-Bay
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2008
      On 16/05/2008, Marlin Mixon <marlin@...> wrote:

      > Andrej
      Hi Marlin,

      And thanks for that input.

      > I had a close look at what you are doing, and my previousl email stands.

      > Here's the rule of thumb: SOAP::Lite works great for Fahrenheit->Celsius
      > conversions. Anything more complicated than that is going to waste your
      > time.

      I'll work until Monday, in the hopes that one of the "Gods that be" on the
      list say "Sure, it's easy: you just do this!"... if that doesn't happen...

      > The approach I've used is to take that nice SOAP envelope you have already
      > created and turn it into a template and store it in a perl variable. Only
      > those fields that you need to
      >
      > change, simply replace the value with an easily searchable key like
      > VALUE="..firstname..". Then in your perl code use a substitution like:
      >
      > $myTemplate =~ s/..firstname../Andrej/;
      >
      > Then push the template out using an LWP Post. See? Very simple and also
      > not as compute-intensive as working with XML even.

      Yes, this is pretty much what I was thinking of. The only potential
      issue is that I may have to store a whole lot of different templates,
      depending on which user attributes may need a change to be
      provisioned, which could easily turn into a maintenance night-mare
      if Oracle later on decide to modify that interface.

      If I could (with reasonable effort) coerce SOAP::Lite to co-operate
      it would be much cleaner in that respect.

      My biggest problem is that I lack usage examples for SOAP::Lite
      that have a comparable level of complexity, and I find the documentation
      a tad terse, to say the least, specially when it comes to the usage
      of more intricate features, like the insert_ns (I still haven't understood
      where that would go, or how to use it - I believe it is what would give
      me the desired "wsa1:" in the header elements). I keep wishing for
      a "map" that shows a full-blown XML code example with all bells
      and whistles, and points at which part of the SOAP::Lite methods
      will produce which element. I'm almost certain that it CAN be done
      using SOAP::Light ... just the HOW completely eludes me.

      > Marlin

      Cheers,
      Andrej

      --
      Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.

    • Andrej Ricnik-Bay
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2008
        On 16/05/2008, Marlin Mixon <marlin@...> wrote:
        > It sounds like you are on the right track Andrej. The one thing I can say
        > about working with SOAP::Lite is if you use it be prepared to know your Perl
        > references extremely well. You may find Data::Dump helpful if you don't.
        > In my opinion, references are the weakest part of Perl. In other languages
        > (like Java, C#, etc.), it's almost trivial to make a reference to complex
        > structures. In Perl, though, while flexible, it requires a LOT of knowledge
        > and expertise and even then I think it's damned difficult. Then when you
        > start to work with SOAP::Lite, you find that you must really apply whatever
        > references knowledge you have at your disposal (or take time to study even)
        > just to get even trivial things to work.

        Thanks for the heads-up ... :} I've been using Net::LDAP quite extensively
        for the last two years, so should be reasonably fine with references (i hope).

        > Marlin
        Cheers,
        Andrej

        --
        Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :} Make your quotes concise.