Do you want me to approve job postings?

  • Byrne Reese
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2007
      Question for the community - as the mailing list moderator I am curious
      if the community wants me to approve SOAP::Lite job postings to this
      mailing list. I can imagine some people thinking this to be very
      valuable and others thinking it to be a form of spam.

      So what does everyone think?

      Byrne
    • Mike South
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
        My personal experience with this is that it doesn't turn out to be a lot of volume, and so doesn't detract from the conversation.  They approve them on the perl mongers groups that I am a part of, and even if you aren't looking right at that moment I find relevant job postings to be of at least passing interest.

        If a lot of people object you could possibly add [job] to the subject line and let them filter.

        Although it is true that at any given time the people looking for work (fortunately) are vastly outnumbered by those who are not, we might consider in this case that the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many, in the sense that I don't mind a little inconvenience for 100 people if it will help the 1 person who is out of a job and depleting his savings.  (I know, I know--Ayn Rand is spinning in her grave.  Sorry.)

        mike

        On Nov 19, 2007 8:47 PM, Byrne Reese <byrne@...> wrote:

        Question for the community - as the mailing list moderator I am curious
        if the community wants me to approve SOAP::Lite job postings to this
        mailing list. I can imagine some people thinking this to be very
        valuable and others thinking it to be a form of spam.

        So what does everyone think?

        Byrne

      • rl_jcb
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2007
          I don't know how much my opinion is worth, given I am new to the list
          and I am the person who sent a job posting that wasn't approved, but
          I agree. :)

          I've always found it useful for the lists I am on, even when I'm not
          looking for a position at that time. Like Mike, the perl mongers
          groups are some I am a part of that I have gotten some interesting
          jobs from.

          Plus, knowledge of SOAP::Lite is pretty specialized, and this is one
          of the best places to get access to these folks. It'd be a shame for
          anyone looking for a job not to find out about ones that are that
          well matched to their skills and interest. SOAP::Lite is a great
          piece of software - one which I've provided bug reports / hack-level
          fixes for before - and for which I've commended Byrne - albeit under
          a different alias than I am using for a job posting for the company I
          work at.

          Anyway, hopefully other people feel the same. Thanks for your time.

          Jon