Re: Can't install SOAP::Lite on linux with CPAN

  • Hans Poo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30 5:24 PM
      Hi,

      If you're on a Debian based, my case ubuntu, you may tray to find the
      package with:

      # apt-cache search -n perl|grep soap
      libsoap-lite-perl - Client and server side SOAP implementation

      in this case i found it in the normal repositories, then you can install:
      # apt-get install libsoap-lite-perl

      after that, you like to know where the files were installed:
      # dpkg -L libsoap-lite-perl

      If you're on a redhat base distro, you can find with yum or up2date to
      do the same, i left fedora
      some years from now.. don't have the exact commands.

      Important: For complex packages with lot of dependencies, the distro
      package is the fast way to do it.

      If you don't have the package in the distro, or you just like (or
      have) to install from source,
      then, beware that CPAN installers complain a lot due to failed tests,
      normally things work besides
      the comlplaints, but you should check.

      First, you should try forcing CPAN:

      # get into the interactive installer with
      # perl -MCPAN -e shell

      # force the installation, please don't forget to say "no" to the
      standard tests
      force install SOAP::Lite

      [ this should be done as root ]

      If it fails, i recommend to go where the CPAN module stores the cache
      of modules:
      # cd ~/.cpan/build

      Then cd to the directory of your module. After the above commands you
      should find a module called
      SOAP-Lite-0.XX, i've just done this an it's SOAP-Lite-0.69.

      cd SOAP-Lite-0.69

      Then, please take some minutes to read the README file,
      # less README

      .. then issue
      # perl Makefile.PL
      # make

      Normally problems arise doing the last two commands, but, you will
      have more information of how to
      solve them.

      finally [ as root ]
      # make install