Re: [soaplite] File Attachments

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
      Hi, Kevin!

      > I'm trying to upload a file to a SOAP server. Could someone please
      SOAP server has nothing to do with file or uploads. It accepts only
      requests. Since POST may be encoded as MIME multipart/form-data and
      SOAP::Lite can accept MIME requests, SOAP::Lite can also work with
      multipart/form-data requests, but this functionality is NOT covered
      by SOAP-with-attachment specification.

      All that you need to do is provide a payload and then refer from this
      payload to parameters inside the same form. Examples are available in
      examples/forms directory and online
      http://services.soaplite.com/style.html (take a look into the source
      code). The advantage is that you can use the same endpoint for both
      SOAP and multipart/form-data POST requests from browser, but you also
      need to take additional steps if you want to show HTML page or make a
      redirect after your upload (I didn't test it with uploads though).
      Hope it'll work for you. Let me know if you face any problems.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2001
        Hi, Mike!

        --- Michael Percy <mpercy@...> wrote:
        > Aside from standard SOAP RPC calls, isn't there something in the
        > SOAP specification referring to actual file upload or attachments,
        > outside of the scope of a remote method call?
        Not as far as I remember. SOAP spec deals with XML encoding only.
        SOAP-with-attachments extend it toward MIME encoding, but does it for
        multipart/related content-type. multipart/form-data is pretty similar
        and the ONLY two things are different in current implementation: as
        per SOAP-w-att XML payload should be identified with 'start'
        attribute and since browsers don't use it I'm relying on ORDER of
        MIME parts and first part is considered as XML payload. The second
        difference is that form-data elements are named with
        content-disposition.name and SOAP-w-att requires usage of content-is
        or content-location as identification marks.

        Seems like .NET also supports form-data encoding [1], but I don't
        have much detail on implementation.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/