UTF8 Client/Server Issues

  • Greg Wittel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 14 10:35 AM
      Hi,

      I'm trying to set up a SOAP::Lite client/server that both submits and
      retrieves UTF8 data from a database. While I can submit valid UTF8 data
      (required server module tweaks), sometimes retrieving the same records
      returns 'undef' or at times the server side throws a 'Wide character in
      print' fault.

      Looking at the trace data, it looks like the server is Base64 encoding the
      UTF8 strings in its response to the client. I thought it wasn't supposed
      to do that? I also see that the HTTP headers do not specify UTF8 character
      set.

      Can anyone offer help?

      -Greg
      ----
      I'm using SOAP::Lite 0.60a (cannot upgrade due to compatability
      requirements) and Apache 2.2.4.

      Client submission:

      my $utf8str = 'blahutf8';
      my $data = SOAP::Data->type(string => $utf8str);
      # Submit $data to server

      Server/Receiving Module:
      1) Nothing special, other than I have added 'use encoding utf8'
      If I don't add this, certain UTF8 characters get corrupted (e.g. Japanese
      characters) in the DB.