File Attachments

  • Kevin Reeves
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9 11:29 AM
      I'm trying to upload a file to a SOAP server. Could someone please point
      me in the direction of some documentation that will help me understand
      how to do that?

      Thank you.

      --
      Kevin Reeves
    • Adams, Ryan (GEL, MSX)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9 12:06 PM
        It should be pretty painless, particularly if it is a text file.
        Just write a method that takes the file's contents as a parameter
        and call that just like any other SOAP call. With big files, you
        might start getting into scalability problems, but for small stuff
        it should work fine.

        Later,

        Ryan

      • Michael Percy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9 12:50 PM
          Aside from standard SOAP RPC calls, isn't there something in the SOAP
          specification referring to actual file upload or attachments, outside of the
          scope of a remote method call?

          Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9 1:13 PM
            Hi, Kevin!

            > I'm trying to upload a file to a SOAP server. Could someone please
            SOAP server has nothing to do with file or uploads. It accepts only
            requests. Since POST may be encoded as MIME multipart/form-data and
            SOAP::Lite can accept MIME requests, SOAP::Lite can also work with
            multipart/form-data requests, but this functionality is NOT covered
            by SOAP-with-attachment specification.

            All that you need to do is provide a payload and then refer from this
            payload to parameters inside the same form. Examples are available in
            examples/forms directory and online
            http://services.soaplite.com/style.html (take a look into the source
            code). The advantage is that you can use the same endpoint for both
            SOAP and multipart/form-data POST requests from browser, but you also
            need to take additional steps if you want to show HTML page or make a
            redirect after your upload (I didn't test it with uploads though).
            Hope it'll work for you. Let me know if you face any problems.

            Best wishes, Paul.

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9 2:13 PM
              Hi, Mike!

              --- Michael Percy <mpercy@...> wrote:
              > Aside from standard SOAP RPC calls, isn't there something in the
              > SOAP specification referring to actual file upload or attachments,
              > outside of the scope of a remote method call?
              Not as far as I remember. SOAP spec deals with XML encoding only.
              SOAP-with-attachments extend it toward MIME encoding, but does it for
              multipart/related content-type. multipart/form-data is pretty similar
              and the ONLY two things are different in current implementation: as
              per SOAP-w-att XML payload should be identified with 'start'
              attribute and since browsers don't use it I'm relying on ORDER of
              MIME parts and first part is considered as XML payload. The second
              difference is that form-data elements are named with
              content-disposition.name and SOAP-w-att requires usage of content-is
              or content-location as identification marks.

              Seems like .NET also supports form-data encoding [1], but I don't
              have much detail on implementation.

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/