Re: [soaplite] Where can I find perlctrl?

  • Sam Ruby
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
      >> I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
      >> the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
      >No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because both
      >minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided

      OK, then, let me explain my real problem then.

      I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite clients.
      I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page includes a
      call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.

      Suggestions?

      - Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
        Hi, Sam!

        > I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite
        > clients.
        > I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page
        > includes a call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.
        Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:

        <%
        Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
        Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
        .server("SOAP::Server") _
        .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
        .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
        )
        %>

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
        > >> I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing
        > by
        > >> the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
        > >No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because
        > both
        > >minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided
        >
        > OK, then, let me explain my real problem then.
        >
        > I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite
        > clients.
        > I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page
        > includes a
        > call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > - Sam Ruby

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Sam Ruby
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
          Paul Kulchenko wrote:

          > Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:
          >
          > <%
          >   Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
          >  Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
          >    .server("SOAP::Server") _
          >    .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
          >    .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
          >  )
          > %>

          That page verbatim hangs for me, as does

          <%
            Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
          %>

          But the following does not:

          <%
            Response.Write("SOAP.Lite")
          %>

          - Sam Ruby
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
            Hi, Sam!

            > That page verbatim hangs for me, as does
            >
            > <%
            > Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
            > %>
            You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
            VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
            of them.

            <%@Language=PerlScript%>
            <%
            $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
            $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
            -> server("SOAP::Server")
            -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
            -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
            );
            %>

            Let me know whether it works for you, I'll try to find the reason.

            best wishes, Paul.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
              Paul Kulchenko wrote:

              > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
              > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
              > of them.
              >
              > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
              > <%
              > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
              > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
              > -> server("SOAP::Server")
              > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
              > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
              > );
              > %>

              That hangs, but the following does not:

              <%@Language=PerlScript%>
              <%
              $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
              %>

              From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite works
              fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The version
              I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18 April
              2001.

              - Sam Ruby
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                Hi, Sam!

                > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                > works
                > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                > version
                > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                > April 2001.
                Yes, that's right. From this point can only recommend to try
                standalone version. Also Lite.dll, but doesn't require presence of
                Perl (yet will still work if Perl is installed). URL:
                http://soaplite.com/download/SOAP-Lite-COM-standalone-0.50.zip

                I never see it hanging. You may get message "Can't run PerlCtrl" or
                something similar, or other runtime error, but it always returns
                something. Let me know if it still doesn't work for you, I'll need
                more information about your environment then. You can send it to me
                directly (paulclinger@...).

                Best wishes, Paul.

                --- Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
                > Paul Kulchenko wrote:
                > >
                > > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead
                > of
                > > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with
                > both
                > > of them.
                > >
                > > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                > > <%
                > > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                > > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                > > -> server("SOAP::Server")
                > > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                > > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                > > );
                > > %>
                >
                > That hangs, but the following does not:
                >
                > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                > <%
                > $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
                > %>
                >
                > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                > works
                > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                > version
                > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                > April
                > 2001.
                >
                > - Sam Ruby

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Marcello Teodori
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2001
                  I have the same problem.
                  I' ve tried registering the Lite.dll library, both versions on
                  - Windows 2000 Server
                  - ActivePerl 5.6.1.628
                  I always get:
                  - "ClassFactory cannot create..." with standalone version
                  - "PerlCtrl missing..." with minimal version
                  Unfortunately I need to use ASP to store an object in the application
                  context, so I don't have alternatives.
                  I've tried as a workaround the following PerlScript code that does
                  not call Lite.dll but should be the same:

                  <Script Language="PerlScript" RunAt="Server">
                  use SOAP::Lite;

                  $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml; charset=utf-8";
                  $Response->Write(
                  SOAP::Lite::COM
                  -> server("SOAP::Server")
                  -> dispatch_to('C:/alitalia/src/pl')
                  -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                  );
                  </Script>

                  but all I get is the following error:
                  Can't call method "send_receive" on an undefined value at
                  C:/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line 395.
                  and I can't find a solution to this.

                  Any hint could be appreciated, thanx

                  Marcello Teodori