SOAP::Lite still in development?

  • James Sinnott
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm interested to know what the current development status of
      SOAP::Lite is. The webpages (http://www.soaplite.com/) haven't been
      updated for a year and still list version 0.67 as the latest release
      (whereas CPAN currently hosts version 0.69.)

      Are any updates planned to either the software or its documentation
      in the near future? Is SOAP::Lite still being actively developed/
      supported?

      Regards,

      James.
    • raherh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, James Sinnott <sinnottj@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm interested to know what the current development status of
        > SOAP::Lite is. The webpages (http://www.soaplite.com/) haven't
        been
        > updated for a year and still list version 0.67 as the latest
        release
        > (whereas CPAN currently hosts version 0.69.)
        >
        > Are any updates planned to either the software or its
        documentation
        > in the near future? Is SOAP::Lite still being actively developed/
        > supported?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > James.

        Hello,

        that's also the matter I'm interested in. It'd be good if the module
        maintainer sent anything about his intentions with the module.
        Though I'm not sure if he follows this group.

        Radek
      • Byrne Reese
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2007
          I do actively follow the group. I rarely have time to respond however
          between work, a kid, and a number of other projects I am actively
          engaged in.

          I tend to develop SOAP::Lite in bursts when need and opportunity
          converge and I have a god chunk of time to work with.

          As with any open source project, it is always looking for help and
          looking for members from the community to take the initiative to
          contribute (some have, and I should go back and incorporate some of
          their patches).

          I could write a State of the SOAP address to give the community a sense
          of what's up... if I did, it would go something like this:

          The SOAP protocol is still in wide use today as it has become native to
          so many development platforms.SOAP itself has also become an incredibly
          stable protocol. The WS-* Wars of the early millenium seem to have died
          down, and the few truly useful extensions to SOAP have been selected by
          the market.

          Most SOAP toolkits as well have stablized along with the protocol.
          Relatively speaking, the status of this SOAP toolkit is fair to good.

          SOAP::Lite works with the majority of endpoints, but has a number of
          interoperability issues with more modern implementations of SOAP servers
          and clients. The task of keeping SOAP::Lite up to date is a difficult
          one. The source code is notoriously complex, a mark of the ingenious
          Paul who created SOAP:Lite, and as a result baffles most inexperienced
          Perl programmers, and indeed may even frighten them off. I myself am
          given the highest respect in my office for signing up to maintain the
          module - I work with some of the brightest and most experienced Perl
          programmers in the industry and they all look at SOAP::Lite in awe.

          But I am not trying to inflate my ego, I am trying to set the stage for
          what should be next for Perl's only SOAP toolkit.

          If SOAP::Lite as a project is to attract more contributing authors, it
          is essential that the SOAP::Lite code base become easier to work with.
          SOAP::Lite could benefit a great deal from shedding a lot of the code
          written before the protocol had really matured, before the era of the
          WS-i, before a time where other toolkits and servers had agreed upon and
          embraced a set of best practices. SOAP::Lite should shift to become
          document-driven, as opposed to RPC driven.

          SOAP::Lite needs a re-write. SOAP::Lite needs to live up to its name of
          "Lite." SOAP::Lite should be built from the ground up to conform to the
          WS-i's requirements. It should be built first and foremost around a
          wicked WSDL parser and engine. It should be made more modular so that
          its components can be more easily swapped out for newer and better
          implementations without disrupting users and developers. It should take
          advantage of the number of perl modules that have evolved since
          SOAP::Lite was conceived to reduce code complexity and obscurity.

          SOAP::Lite needs your help. SOAP::Lite needs a group of 2-3 passionate
          people to take a fresh look at this critical toolkit for Perl developers
          and to usher into a new age of utilization, community growth, usage, and
          utility.

          Undertaking a project like this is not a trivial task. It requires
          months and months of dedicated time and attention. And then it must also
          be supported and maintained.

          This project would not start from ground zero. There is a vision and a
          plethora of tried and true code already within SOAP::Lite that shouldn't
          be needlessly thrown away. What we endeavor to do is make SOAP::Lite
          easier to grok and easier to work with. What we hope to create is a new
          module, called SOAP::Easy.

          Byrne Reese
          Lead Developer and Maintainer, SOAP::Lite
        • raherh
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
            Thank you for the "State of the SOAP" speech. Good to hear your're
            still behind the module development.

            I use a limited scope of its functions but it's a part of a bigger
            project which is all in Perl.

            A while ago someone mentioned this group being too polluted with
            spam. Recently I reported several such spams to Yahoo Mail Abuse Help
            and still wait if it will have any effect. There is always a
            possibility to move the group from Yahoo to a safer place.

            Radek
          • Chris McMahon

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2007
                And a slightly edited version has been posted to the SOAP::Lite blog:

                http://www.soaplite.com/2007/01/state_of_the_so.html

              • Mark Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 25, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  Quick question - should the code fragment below set the User Agent HTTP
                  header to be "myApp" when called by SOAP::Lite?

                  @soapargs = ( $url, proxy => [ 'http' => $proxy ], user_agent => "myApp" );
                  SOAP::Lite->proxy(@soapargs)->uri($uri)->on_fault(...);

                  It isn't working for me, but it may be a bug elsewhere in my code.

                  Any advice appreciated.

                  Thanks!

                  Mark
                • Mark Wilkinson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
                    Hi all,

                    Is anyone in the SOAP::Lite community dealing with the non-working version
                    that has been in CPAN for the past few months?

                    http://beta.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2006/08/msg343399.html

                    I'm getting the exact same error message with failed tests, and I need to
                    upgrade my production server... is it safe to ignore these failed tests,
                    or are they serious?

                    Please advise,

                    Mark