WSDL Generator for Perl Code?

  • joby_jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2006
      I'm writing several different SOAP servers, all of which will need to
      communicated with Java.

      How should I generate a WSDL file to describe my SOAP::Lite based
      servers' functions?

      Please tell me if I'm missing something obvious. I'm hoping I am.

      My research so far has turned up the following options. Please
      comment. I'm willing to put in solid effort, and contribute back to
      the community, but I want to make sure my efforts are well placed.

      - Use WSDL::Generator? Make test fails. Interestingly, Class::Hook
      compiles and passes it's tests just fine. (I am running perl 5.8.6,
      and Class::Hook states that it has only been tested on perl 5.6.)

      - Does anyone currently use WSDL::Generator? On Perl 5.8.6?
      - Has anyone done any work (even preliminary) to port
      WSDL::Generator to perl > 5.6?
      - If not, do you recommend that I pursue it?

      - Use Pod::WSDL? It looks like an excellent start, but still very
      short of the support provided by Apache Axis (Java).

      - Does anyone currently use Pod::WSDL?
      - Has anyone used it to handle complex data types, e.g. hashes
      of hash refs?
      - Do you recommend pursuing Pod::WSDL over WSDL::Generator?

      - Write it by hand? Goodness, my Java colleagues will mock me. If I
      must, are there tools or documents that will make it easier to do this?

      Thank you,
      --Joby
    • Andrew Hicox
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2006
        Joby:

        Pod::WSDL is currently the best thing going for perl services. I have
        developed a large set of services that are called by Java Axis
        clients, and Pod::WSDL seems to be able to create WSDL that Axis
        understands.

        Some sticky wickets with this approach:

        A) Pod::WSDL can currently can only generate WSDL in RPC/Encoded

        B) "A" means that Axis clients are going to send input to your
        functions choc-full of HREF and MultiRefs.

        C) This means any complex types that you want to take as input to your
        functions are going to damn near unparsable with SOAP::Lite's default
        deserializer.

        D) the alternatives are to write your own deserializer (not
        reccomended), hack Pod::WSDL to generate RPC/Literal (encouraged, yet
        also not easy) or, don't take complex types as input parameters.

        That being said, Pod::WSDL in it's current state works fantastically
        well for complex type return data.

        -Andrew ;-)