reducing header size?

  • Robert Eden
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2006
      Howdy all..

      I have a strange problem... I'm a developer on the XMLTV project (http://www.xmltv.org, provides tv guide data to various apps). One of our data grabbers uses a SOAP::Lite call to collect data.

      There is a bug on the server side (out of our control) that causes data corruption when a data field spans a TCP/IP packet. We're working with the server folks to fix it, but this bug has been around for a while.

      An old version of SOAP::Lite produced this envelope: (spacing added of course)
      <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
      xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
      xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
      SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";>

      Current versions of various modules produce this SOAP envelope.
      <soap:Envelope
      xmlns:mime="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/mime/";
      xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/";
      xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/";
      xmlns:tms="urn:TMSWebServices"
      soap:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
      xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";
      xmlns:http="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/";
      xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>

      As you can see it's quite a bit bigger, and causes lots of folks using our grabber to have problems getting data.

      Is there a way with current versions of SOAP::Lite to reduce the header size? I tried:resetting {'_namespaces'} and {'_xmlschemas'}, but that didn't help.

      Robert
    • Robert Eden
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2006
        I have a solution! ( reducing envelope size)

        sub SOAP::Serializer::register_ns { return 1; }

        It worked like a charm... envelope size has dropped over 100 bytes and now we're not getting errors any more! Some cases may need the additional schema info, but my case did not.

        Robert

        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance";;
        xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema";;

        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";;