http-encoding: deflate , is it possible to use gzip, how ?

  • JuanFco Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hello,

      Is it possible to select the compression method ?

      Thanks in advance.

      Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus www.trendmicro.es
    • JuanFco Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006
        On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, JuanFco Rodriguez wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Is it possible to select the compression method ?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        I ask this question because I've been struggling with an
        interop problem between a SOAP::Lite server and a NuSOAP client.

        The client sends "Accept-Encoding: deflate", but the SOAP::Lite
        server uses the "compress()" zlib function to compress the content,
        which is the right thing to do, as you can see in the following
        FAQ (http://www.zlib.net/zlib_faq.html#faq39):

        "gzip" is the gzip format, and "deflate" is the zlib format. They should probably have
        called the second one "zlib" instead to avoid confusion with the raw deflate compressed
        data format. While the HTTP 1.1 RFC 2616 correctly points to the zlib specification in
        RFC 1950 for the "deflate" transfer encoding, there have been reports of servers and
        browsers that incorrectly produce or expect raw deflate data per the deflate specficiation
        in RFC 1951, most notably Microsoft. So even though the "deflate" transfer encoding
        using the zlib format would be the more efficient approach (and in fact exactly what the
        zlib format was designed for), using the "gzip" transfer encoding is probably more reliable
        due to an unfortunate choice of name on the part of the HTTP 1.1 authors.

        Im quite newbie to all these things about compression algorithms, but as far as I
        can understand it, "Accept-Encoding: deflate" should use "compress/uncompress" functions.
        The problem is that a lot of Microsoft implementations out there are using "deflate/inflate" when
        they see "Accept-Enconding: deflate". So to sum it up, "deflate" seems not to be a
        standard way of doing HTTP compression any more. That's the reason I would like
        to use "Accept-Encoding: gzip" with SOAP::Lite (at least on the server side, and if
        the client accepts both compression methods, to use "gzip" as default).

        The NuSOAP client was using "gzdeflate" to uncompress the content sent by SOAP::Lite,
        after changing that function to "uncompress", everything went well.

        do you agree with what I've said ? I might be wrong, so please correct me in that case.

        Thanks in advace.

        Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus www.trendmicro.es