Re: [soaplite] Where can I find perlctrl?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hi, Sam!

      > 'perlctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
      > operable program or batch file.
      >
      > I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
      > the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
      No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because both
      minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided, but you can compile your own
      configuration and you'll need perlCtrl, which is part of ActiveState
      PDK. This is commercial product from ActiveState. examples/COM/README
      says that with more details.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- rubys@... wrote:
      > I installed ActivePerl-5.6.1.626-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread.msi, and
      > the SOAP::Lite client examples work fine. I thought I would try to
      > bring up a SOAP::Lite service, and initially selected to go the ASP
      > route. I downloaded and regsvr32'd lite.dll. So far, so good.
      > Then I tried:
      >
      > D:\SOAP-Lite-0.50\examples\COM>make-com-perl-required.bat
      > 'perlctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
      > operable program or batch file.
      >
      > I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
      > the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
        >> I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
        >> the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
        >No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because both
        >minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided

        OK, then, let me explain my real problem then.

        I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite clients.
        I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page includes a
        call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.

        Suggestions?

        - Sam Ruby
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
          Hi, Sam!

          > I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite
          > clients.
          > I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page
          > includes a call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.
          Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:

          <%
          Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
          Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
          .server("SOAP::Server") _
          .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
          .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
          )
          %>

          Best wishes, Paul.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
            Paul Kulchenko wrote:

            > Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:
            >
            > <%
            >   Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
            >  Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
            >    .server("SOAP::Server") _
            >    .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
            >    .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
            >  )
            > %>

            That page verbatim hangs for me, as does

            <%
              Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
            %>

            But the following does not:

            <%
              Response.Write("SOAP.Lite")
            %>

            - Sam Ruby
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
              Hi, Sam!

              > That page verbatim hangs for me, as does
              >
              > <%
              > Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
              > %>
              You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
              VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
              of them.

              <%@Language=PerlScript%>
              <%
              $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
              $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
              -> server("SOAP::Server")
              -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
              -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
              );
              %>

              Let me know whether it works for you, I'll try to find the reason.

              best wishes, Paul.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                Paul Kulchenko wrote:

                > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
                > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
                > of them.
                >
                > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                > <%
                > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                > -> server("SOAP::Server")
                > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                > );
                > %>

                That hangs, but the following does not:

                <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                <%
                $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
                %>

                From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite works
                fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The version
                I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18 April
                2001.

                - Sam Ruby
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Hi, Sam!

                  > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                  > works
                  > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                  > version
                  > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                  > April 2001.
                  Yes, that's right. From this point can only recommend to try
                  standalone version. Also Lite.dll, but doesn't require presence of
                  Perl (yet will still work if Perl is installed). URL:
                  http://soaplite.com/download/SOAP-Lite-COM-standalone-0.50.zip

                  I never see it hanging. You may get message "Can't run PerlCtrl" or
                  something similar, or other runtime error, but it always returns
                  something. Let me know if it still doesn't work for you, I'll need
                  more information about your environment then. You can send it to me
                  directly (paulclinger@...).

                  Best wishes, Paul.

                  --- Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
                  > Paul Kulchenko wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead
                  > of
                  > > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with
                  > both
                  > > of them.
                  > >
                  > > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                  > > <%
                  > > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                  > > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                  > > -> server("SOAP::Server")
                  > > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                  > > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                  > > );
                  > > %>
                  >
                  > That hangs, but the following does not:
                  >
                  > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                  > <%
                  > $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
                  > %>
                  >
                  > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                  > works
                  > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                  > version
                  > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                  > April
                  > 2001.
                  >
                  > - Sam Ruby

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • Marcello Teodori
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2001
                    I have the same problem.
                    I' ve tried registering the Lite.dll library, both versions on
                    - Windows 2000 Server
                    - ActivePerl 5.6.1.628
                    I always get:
                    - "ClassFactory cannot create..." with standalone version
                    - "PerlCtrl missing..." with minimal version
                    Unfortunately I need to use ASP to store an object in the application
                    context, so I don't have alternatives.
                    I've tried as a workaround the following PerlScript code that does
                    not call Lite.dll but should be the same:

                    <Script Language="PerlScript" RunAt="Server">
                    use SOAP::Lite;

                    $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml; charset=utf-8";
                    $Response->Write(
                    SOAP::Lite::COM
                    -> server("SOAP::Server")
                    -> dispatch_to('C:/alitalia/src/pl')
                    -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                    );
                    </Script>

                    but all I get is the following error:
                    Can't call method "send_receive" on an undefined value at
                    C:/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line 395.
                    and I can't find a solution to this.

                    Any hint could be appreciated, thanx

                    Marcello Teodori