Where can I find perlctrl?

  • rubys@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      I installed ActivePerl-5.6.1.626-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread.msi, and
      the SOAP::Lite client examples work fine. I thought I would try to
      bring up a SOAP::Lite service, and initially selected to go the ASP
      route. I downloaded and regsvr32'd lite.dll. So far, so good. Then
      I tried:

      D:\SOAP-Lite-0.50\examples\COM>make-com-perl-required.bat
      'perlctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
      operable program or batch file.

      I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by the
      name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
        Hi, Sam!

        > 'perlctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
        > operable program or batch file.
        >
        > I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
        > the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
        No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because both
        minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided, but you can compile your own
        configuration and you'll need perlCtrl, which is part of ActiveState
        PDK. This is commercial product from ActiveState. examples/COM/README
        says that with more details.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- rubys@... wrote:
        > I installed ActivePerl-5.6.1.626-MSWin32-x86-multi-thread.msi, and
        > the SOAP::Lite client examples work fine. I thought I would try to
        > bring up a SOAP::Lite service, and initially selected to go the ASP
        > route. I downloaded and regsvr32'd lite.dll. So far, so good.
        > Then I tried:
        >
        > D:\SOAP-Lite-0.50\examples\COM>make-com-perl-required.bat
        > 'perlctrl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
        > operable program or batch file.
        >
        > I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
        > the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Sam Ruby
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
          >> I then scanned the C:\Perl directories, and could find nothing by
          >> the name of perlctrl.*. Did I miss an installation step?
          >No, you didn't. In most cases you don't need perlctrl, because both
          >minimal and full Lite.dlls are provided

          OK, then, let me explain my real problem then.

          I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite clients.
          I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page includes a
          call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.

          Suggestions?

          - Sam Ruby
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
            Hi, Sam!

            > I have ActiveState Perl 5.6.1.626 installed. I can run SOAP::Lite
            > clients.
            > I can run ASP pages. I regsvr32'd Lite.dll. But if my ASP page
            > includes a call to Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite"), it hangs.
            Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:

            <%
            Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
            Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
            .server("SOAP::Server") _
            .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
            .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
            )
            %>

            Best wishes, Paul.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
              Paul Kulchenko wrote:

              > Could you post the code of your ASP page? This works for me:
              >
              > <%
              >   Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
              >  Response.Write(Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite") _
              >    .server("SOAP::Server") _
              >    .dispatch_to("/soaplite/modules") _
              >    .handle(Request.BinaryRead(Request.TotalBytes)) _
              >  )
              > %>

              That page verbatim hangs for me, as does

              <%
                Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
              %>

              But the following does not:

              <%
                Response.Write("SOAP.Lite")
              %>

              - Sam Ruby
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                Hi, Sam!

                > That page verbatim hangs for me, as does
                >
                > <%
                > Server.CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                > %>
                You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
                VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
                of them.

                <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                <%
                $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                -> server("SOAP::Server")
                -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                );
                %>

                Let me know whether it works for you, I'll try to find the reason.

                best wishes, Paul.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Paul Kulchenko wrote:

                  > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead of
                  > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with both
                  > of them.
                  >
                  > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                  > <%
                  > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                  > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                  > -> server("SOAP::Server")
                  > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                  > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                  > );
                  > %>

                  That hangs, but the following does not:

                  <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                  <%
                  $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
                  %>

                  From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite works
                  fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The version
                  I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18 April
                  2001.

                  - Sam Ruby
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2001
                    Hi, Sam!

                    > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                    > works
                    > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                    > version
                    > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                    > April 2001.
                    Yes, that's right. From this point can only recommend to try
                    standalone version. Also Lite.dll, but doesn't require presence of
                    Perl (yet will still work if Perl is installed). URL:
                    http://soaplite.com/download/SOAP-Lite-COM-standalone-0.50.zip

                    I never see it hanging. You may get message "Can't run PerlCtrl" or
                    something similar, or other runtime error, but it always returns
                    something. Let me know if it still doesn't work for you, I'll need
                    more information about your environment then. You can send it to me
                    directly (paulclinger@...).

                    Best wishes, Paul.

                    --- Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
                    > Paul Kulchenko wrote:
                    > >
                    > > You may also try this, it's also ASP, but uses PerlScript instead
                    > of
                    > > VB. It does pretty much the same and I don't have a problem with
                    > both
                    > > of them.
                    > >
                    > > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                    > > <%
                    > > $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml";
                    > > $Response->Write($Server->CreateObject("SOAP.Lite")
                    > > -> server("SOAP::Server")
                    > > -> dispatch_to("/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules")
                    > > -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                    > > );
                    > > %>
                    >
                    > That hangs, but the following does not:
                    >
                    > <%@Language=PerlScript%>
                    > <%
                    > $Response->Write("SOAP.Lite");
                    > %>
                    >
                    > From what I can tell, I have Perl correctly installed, SOAP::Lite
                    > works
                    > fine as a client, my problem seems to be related to Lite.dll. The
                    > version
                    > I have is 32,768 bytes (not that that says much), and is dated 18
                    > April
                    > 2001.
                    >
                    > - Sam Ruby

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Marcello Teodori
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 25, 2001
                      I have the same problem.
                      I' ve tried registering the Lite.dll library, both versions on
                      - Windows 2000 Server
                      - ActivePerl 5.6.1.628
                      I always get:
                      - "ClassFactory cannot create..." with standalone version
                      - "PerlCtrl missing..." with minimal version
                      Unfortunately I need to use ASP to store an object in the application
                      context, so I don't have alternatives.
                      I've tried as a workaround the following PerlScript code that does
                      not call Lite.dll but should be the same:

                      <Script Language="PerlScript" RunAt="Server">
                      use SOAP::Lite;

                      $Response->{ContentType} = "text/xml; charset=utf-8";
                      $Response->Write(
                      SOAP::Lite::COM
                      -> server("SOAP::Server")
                      -> dispatch_to('C:/alitalia/src/pl')
                      -> handle($Request->BinaryRead($Request->{TotalBytes}))
                      );
                      </Script>

                      but all I get is the following error:
                      Can't call method "send_receive" on an undefined value at
                      C:/Perl/site/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm line 395.
                      and I can't find a solution to this.

                      Any hint could be appreciated, thanx

                      Marcello Teodori