Evolution of SOAP::Lite

  • Arun Kumar U
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hi, Paul !

      Read your article "Evolution of SOAP::Lite" on onlamp.com.
      That was a cool description on the Evolution of SOAP::Lite.

      I came know that you are presenting a session at O'Reilly Open Source
      Convention. Good Luck !! I wish I could be there :-(.

      And one more thing, In the article you had mentioned that the TODO
      list for SOAP lite is about 500 lines. How about sharing the same
      with us :-)

      Best Regards,
      Arun
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2001
        Hi, Arun!

        --- Arun Kumar U <u_arunkumar@...> wrote:
        > I came know that you are presenting a session at O'Reilly Open
        > Source Convention. Good Luck !! I wish I could be there :-(.
        Thank you. Hope it will be interesting.

        > And one more thing, In the article you had mentioned that the TODO
        > list for SOAP lite is about 500 lines. How about sharing the same
        > with us :-)
        I already thought about it. I cleaned it a little bit, so it's just
        about 100 line now :)). The TODO file is still much bigger than that,
        but not everything can be added here :)). Anyway, here is the main
        part and I would appreciate if you let me know that something is
        missing or give priority to some features before others. Any feedback
        is more than welcome. Thank you.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        Milestones
        Support for multiple schemas (1999,2000) [0.51]
        SOAP::Context (internal redesign)
        Async processing (requires SOAP::Context)
        Header processing (requires SOAP::Context)
        Intermediaries (requires Header processing)

        Transports
        MQSeries transport [0.51]
        Jabber transport [0.51]
        non/blocking TCP [0.51]
        TCP with headers
        TCP with SSL [0.51]
        non/blocking HTTP
        HTTP daemon with SSL
        POP3 client
        daemonization (chroot, uid/gid, tainting, etc)
        implement HTTP server around Net::Daemon
        implement HTTP server around Win32::Daemon
        add mq:, jabber:, tcp: and urn: schemas (with
        URI::URL::implementor) [0.51]
        extend POP3/SMTP transport to include message-id and in-reply-to
        headers

        Applications
        DBD::SOAP (native interface, with DBI on client side)
        DBIx::SOAP (lightweight interface, no DBI on client side)
        DBI::SOAP::Server (Server side for DBD::SOAP, DBIx::SOAP)
        SOAP::Shell
        -dump option
        Term::Readkey support
        proxy settings
        Safe module execution on server side (for untrusted modules)

        Features
        Option that do not modify parameters for RPC call (on client and
        server side)
        Support inheritance from remote classes (require support for
        non-modified parameters for RPC calls)

        Performance
        Regexp pattern matching instead of XML parsing
        Optimize envelope generation

        Async processing
        Support for async request (return messageID)
        Support for async response (get response for specific messageID)
        Implement on transport level (look for messageID from transport)
        Implement on SOAP level (look for messageID from SOAP envelope)

        SOAP
        Header processing
        Pluggable header processors
        Intermediary support
        Extended actor support
        Handle encoingStyle with custom deserializers
        Arrays
        Multidimensional [0.51]
        Sparse [0.51]
        Partially transmitted [0.51]
        Attachment generation
        Support for multiple XML Schemas [0.51]
        Support for document-style encoding [0.51?]

        WSDL
        WSDL generation
        Server generation from WSDL
        <import> element [0.51]
        tModel WSDL [0.51]
        Support for multiple services/ports [0.51]
        Use transport settings for WSDL file access

        XMLRPC
        Support all transports available for SOAP::Lite [0.51]
        Support dispatch model as in SOAP::Lite [0.51]

        XML::Parser::Lite
        Support for Perl 5.005 [0.51]

        COM
        Dispatch to COM object [0.50, untested]
        Access to major features of SOAP::Lite
        Add support for XMLRPC::Lite from COM interface
        Split Lite.dll on minimal, optimal (HTTP only) and everything
        (MIME, SMTP)
        Split Lite.dll on SOAP::Lite and XMLRPC::Lite [?]

        UDDI
        v2 interface

        Redesign
        Change inheritance from SOAP::Server::Parameters to check for
        $MODULE::SOAP::Server::Parameters or $SOAP::Server::Parameters
        Add document-style interface, check for
        $MODULE::SOAP::Server::Document or SOAP::Server::Document
        Add SOAP::Context for all internal communications between
        SOAP::Serializer, SOAP::Deserializer and SOAP::Transport(s)
        Add options on client and server side that require send/handle
        parameters 'as-is' without CLASS-specific processing
        Add inheritance from remote classes
        Look into Attributes::Handle (use instead of SOAP::Data interface)
        Implement object-by-reference as part of serializer/deserializer
        Persistent storage for object-by-reference on server side
        (based on Apache::Session interfaces)
        Better support for garbage collection for object-by-reference
        Modify SOAP::Trace interface
        Add fault styles on client side (die_with_fault,
        die_on_transport_error, etc.)

        Utilities
        GUI proxy

        Examples
        Full search example (UDDI->WSDL->SOAP) [0.51]

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/