Re: [soaplite] Selecting the network interface from a SOAP::Lite client

  • Jay A. Kreibich
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2006
      On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:36:32PM -0000, Reuven M. Lerner scratched on the wall:

      > Recently, my application's requirements have changed somewhat. The
      > SOAP calls that I'll be making will be the same, but now I need to be
      > able to choose from the client's available network interfaces. That
      > is, I'll sometimes want to use eth0, sometimes eth1, sometimes eth2,
      > etc. (My server is running Debian Linux.) What is the best way for
      > me to change that setting?

      Sorry for the late response, but the best answer is that you
      shouldn't do this. It is the wrong answer to the wrong question.

      I know, I know... customer requirements are sometimes like that, but
      consider the fact that even if you could manually select which
      interface the packets went out, you cannot select which interface the
      packets come back in. The network is going to make such decisions
      for you, so you might as well just let it do what it is good at.

      Assuming this has to be done for some type of fail-over or security
      policy reason (e.g. a front-end "exposed" network and a back-end
      "secure" network) the best answer is to setup your routing tables,
      networks, and interfaces correctly and let the IP layer do what
      it does best to get the packets from here to there. If all of that
      is properly setup, then selecting which interface gets abstracted out
      to something like using different hostnames in the proxy URI. And
      *that* is something that _is_ very appropriate to be dealing with at the
      application layer (and a heck of a lot easier!).

      -j

      --
      Jay A. Kreibich | CommTech, Emrg Net Tech Svcs
      jak@... | Campus IT & Edu Svcs