Selecting the network interface from a SOAP::Lite client

  • Reuven M. Lerner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2006
      Hi, everyone. I've been using SOAP::Lite for a number of years, for a
      bunch of SOAP client applications. It has worked flawlessly during
      that time, and I greatly appreciate the work that has gone into it.

      Recently, my application's requirements have changed somewhat. The
      SOAP calls that I'll be making will be the same, but now I need to be
      able to choose from the client's available network interfaces. That
      is, I'll sometimes want to use eth0, sometimes eth1, sometimes eth2,
      etc. (My server is running Debian Linux.) What is the best way for
      me to change that setting?

      If I were working directly with sockets, then I would know what to do,
      but SOAP::Lite is a significantly higher-level library, and I don't
      see any obvious way -- short of modifying the SOAP::Lite source code
      -- to make such switching possible. I've looked through the
      documentation and mailing list archives, and haven't found anything.

      Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

      Reuven
    • Jay A. Kreibich
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2006
        On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:36:32PM -0000, Reuven M. Lerner scratched on the wall:

        > Recently, my application's requirements have changed somewhat. The
        > SOAP calls that I'll be making will be the same, but now I need to be
        > able to choose from the client's available network interfaces. That
        > is, I'll sometimes want to use eth0, sometimes eth1, sometimes eth2,
        > etc. (My server is running Debian Linux.) What is the best way for
        > me to change that setting?

        Sorry for the late response, but the best answer is that you
        shouldn't do this. It is the wrong answer to the wrong question.

        I know, I know... customer requirements are sometimes like that, but
        consider the fact that even if you could manually select which
        interface the packets went out, you cannot select which interface the
        packets come back in. The network is going to make such decisions
        for you, so you might as well just let it do what it is good at.

        Assuming this has to be done for some type of fail-over or security
        policy reason (e.g. a front-end "exposed" network and a back-end
        "secure" network) the best answer is to setup your routing tables,
        networks, and interfaces correctly and let the IP layer do what
        it does best to get the packets from here to there. If all of that
        is properly setup, then selecting which interface gets abstracted out
        to something like using different hostnames in the proxy URI. And
        *that* is something that _is_ very appropriate to be dealing with at the
        application layer (and a heck of a lot easier!).

        -j

        --
        Jay A. Kreibich | CommTech, Emrg Net Tech Svcs
        jak@... | Campus IT & Edu Svcs