Re: [soaplite] MIME attachments and SOAP Lite 0.68 / Apache 2.2.2

  • Ger Apeldoorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi Steve,

      Have you seen this one?

      http://www.majordojo.com/SOAP-MIME/samples/

      I'm currently trying to do something like you described, but I'm still at
      the "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" stage... :S

      Ger.

      --
      ARGOSS: your partner for atmospheric, marine & coastal information
      P O Box 61

      Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer
      The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
      use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one of
      those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it or to
      copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should
      please delete it from your system.

      ARGOSS Holding BV and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability for any
      errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which
      arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability for
      statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on behalf of
      ARGOSS.
    • techrg99
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hey Ger,

        Yes. I am using the sample code.

        Try changning your client-side SOAP code so that you see the SOAP
        debugging stuff...

        use SOAP::Lite +trace => qw(debug);

        You will still get the 500 error, but you will be able to see exactly
        what SOAP is doing, or trying to do :-)

        Steve

        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Ger Apeldoorn <g.apeldoorn@...> wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > Have you seen this one?
        >
        > http://www.majordojo.com/SOAP-MIME/samples/
        >
        > I'm currently trying to do something like you described, but I'm
        still at
        > the "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" stage... :S
        >
        > Ger.
        >
        > Op dinsdag 1 augustus 2006 01:01, schreef u:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I have the following server configuration:
        > > Apache 2.2.2 (w/ mod_perl), SOAP::Lite 0.68, and Expat 2.0.0
        > >
        > > I am trying to send a MIME::Entity attachment from a client perl
        > > script to the SOAP server. (Both of which are on the same machine for
        > > now).
        > >
        > > I've tried a lot of the MIME::Entity build options, and SOAP::Lite
        > > options. But, it seems when ever I use the parts() option to attach
        > > my MIME::Entities to my soap call, the call fails with the following
        > > error message:
        > >
        > > --
        > > <faultcode>soap:Client</faultcode><faultstring>Application failed
        > > during request deserialization:
        > > syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at

        /usr/local/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm
        > > line 187
        > > </faultstring>
        > > --
        > >
        > > Has anyone successfully sent a MIME attachment from a perl client to
        > > an Apache/SOAP Server? I have not found any recent examples out
        there.

        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Steve
        >
        > --
        > ARGOSS: your partner for atmospheric, marine & coastal information
        > P O Box 61
        > 8325ZH Vollenhove The Netherlands
        > tel +31-527-242299 fax +31-527-242016
        > Web http://www.argoss.nl
        >
        > Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer
        > The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only
        for the
        > use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or
        one of
        > those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it
        or to
        > copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
        should
        > please delete it from your system.
        >
        > ARGOSS Holding BV and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability
        for any
        > errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments
        which
        > arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability for
        > statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on
        behalf of
        > ARGOSS.

      • Ger Apeldoorn
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
          Hi,

          I'm trying to get the server to respond with an attachment.

          The example @majordojo simply does not work (for me).

          Error:
          --------------------%<------------------------
          SOAP::Serializer::envelope: Server Can't call method "parts" on unblessed
          reference at ./Server.cgi line 110.
          --------------------%<------------------------

          Code:
          --------------------%<------------------------
          my $self = shift;
          my $envelope = pop;

          foreach my $part (@{$envelope->parts}) { #line 110
          print STDERR "Attachment found! (".ref($$part).")\n";
          }
          --------------------%<------------------------

          Any help/tips GREATLY appreciated!

          BTW: It's not only attachments I have to receive. I also have got some values
          that I need to retrieve. How can I get them out of the envelope?

          I read here (http://www.majordojo.com/soapmime/soapmime_and_so.php) that
          SOAP::MIME and SOAP::Lite merged in 2003. Is this perhaps the cause that the
          examples are not working?

          Many thanks,
          Ger.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hey Ger,

              Well, I figured out a work-around. I am just sending all the stuff I
              need as arguments to the SOAP call. I've given up on MIME-attachments
              with SOAP::Lite 0.68/Apache 2.2.2 for now. I realized, I can very
              easily send up (or down) a complex Hash including binary file
              contents... So, why even use MIME attachments? What does it buy me?
              Here is an example of sending several binary files up to the server
              using MIME::Base64, and MD5 checksums... Returning files from the
              Server to the Client should be just as straight-forward.

              Client-Side Code
              use strict;
              use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_base64);
              use MIME::Base64;
              use SOAP::Lite +trace => qw(debug);
              #use SOAP::Lite;
              use File::Basename;
              use Data::Dumper;

              my @files = ('picture.gif', '/tmp/J7SLS8daSH');
              my $file_data = {};
              my $buf;
              my $b64data;
              my $checksum;

              foreach (@files) {
              $b64data = '';
              open FILE, $_;
              binmode FILE;
              $checksum = Digest::MD5->new->addfile(*FILE)->b64digest;
              close FILE;

              open FILE, $_;
              binmode FILE;

              while (read(FILE, $buf, 60*57)) {
              $b64data .= encode_base64($buf);
              }

              close FILE;

              push @{$file_data->{-files}}, {
              -name => basename ($_),
              -checksum => $checksum,
              -data => $b64data,
              };
              }

              my $soap = SOAP::Lite
              -> uri('http://myserver:8010/FILE_TEST')
              -> proxy('http://myserver:8010/server');

              if ($soap) {
              my $call = $soap->call(send_file => $file_data);

              if ($call) {
              my $return_data = $call->result;
              print Dumper $return_data;
              }
              else {
              print "Call failed\n";
              else {
              "SOAP creation failed\n";

              Server-Side Code
              package FILE_TEST;

              use strict;

              use SOAP::Lite;
              use Data::Dumper;
              use MIME::Base64;
              use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_base64);

              sub send_file {
              my ($self, $file_data) = @_;
              my $return_data;
              my $checksum;

              my $dir = "/tmp/".time();

              mkdir ($dir);

              foreach my $file (@{$file_data->{-files}}) {
              open FILE, "> $dir/$file->{-name}";
              binmode FILE;

              print FILE decode_base64($file->{-data});
              close FILE;

              open FILE, qq($dir/$file->{-name});
              binmode FILE;
              $checksum = Digest::MD5->new->addfile(*FILE)->b64digest;
              close FILE;

              push @{$return_data->{-files}}, {
              -name => $file->{-name},
              -local_checksum => $file->{-checksum},
              -server_checksum => $checksum,
              };

              }

              return $return_data;

              Client-Side Output
              $VAR1 = {
              '-files' => [
              {
              '-name' => 'movie.gif',
              '-server_checksum'=> '5q0k/WEaNi8Or7oNWdqwcg',
              '-local_checksum' => '5q0k/WEaNi8Or7oNWdqwcg'
              },
              {
              '-name' => 'J7SLS8daSH',
              '-server_checksum'=> 'HkFgablI9qGvCVq8aatM4g',
              '-local_checksum' => 'HkFgablI9qGvCVq8aatM4g'
              }
              ]
              };

              Yeah! Checksums match... good deal!

              I've tested this with a fairly large file - 13 MB Perl distro
              stable.tar.gz... and it worked fine.

              Good Luck! Let me know if you make any discoveries on the
              MIME-attachment front. But, like I said, I am not going to bother
              with them. This does everyhting I need, and gives me more flexability.

              See ya,