MIME attachments and SOAP Lite 0.68 / Apache 2.2.2

  • techrg99
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 4:01 PM
      Hi all,

      I have the following server configuration:
      Apache 2.2.2 (w/ mod_perl), SOAP::Lite 0.68, and Expat 2.0.0

      I am trying to send a MIME::Entity attachment from a client perl
      script to the SOAP server. (Both of which are on the same machine for
      now).

      I've tried a lot of the MIME::Entity build options, and SOAP::Lite
      options. But, it seems when ever I use the parts() option to attach
      my MIME::Entities to my soap call, the call fails with the following
      error message:

      --
      <faultcode>soap:Client</faultcode><faultstring>Application failed
      during request deserialization:

      Has anyone successfully sent a MIME attachment from a perl client to
      an Apache/SOAP Server? I have not found any recent examples out there.

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Ger Apeldoorn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31 11:20 PM
        Hi Steve,

        Have you seen this one?

        http://www.majordojo.com/SOAP-MIME/samples/

        I'm currently trying to do something like you described, but I'm still at
        the "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" stage... :S

        Ger.

        --
        ARGOSS: your partner for atmospheric, marine & coastal information
        P O Box 61

        Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer
        The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the
        use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one of
        those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it or to
        copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you should
        please delete it from your system.

        ARGOSS Holding BV and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability for any
        errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments which
        arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability for
        statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on behalf of
        ARGOSS.
      • techrg99
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hey Ger,

          Yes. I am using the sample code.

          Try changning your client-side SOAP code so that you see the SOAP
          debugging stuff...

          use SOAP::Lite +trace => qw(debug);

          You will still get the 500 error, but you will be able to see exactly
          what SOAP is doing, or trying to do :-)

          Steve

          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Ger Apeldoorn <g.apeldoorn@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > Have you seen this one?
          >
          > http://www.majordojo.com/SOAP-MIME/samples/
          >
          > I'm currently trying to do something like you described, but I'm
          still at
          > the "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" stage... :S
          >
          > Ger.
          >
          > Op dinsdag 1 augustus 2006 01:01, schreef u:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have the following server configuration:
          > > Apache 2.2.2 (w/ mod_perl), SOAP::Lite 0.68, and Expat 2.0.0
          > >
          > > I am trying to send a MIME::Entity attachment from a client perl
          > > script to the SOAP server. (Both of which are on the same machine for
          > > now).
          > >
          > > I've tried a lot of the MIME::Entity build options, and SOAP::Lite
          > > options. But, it seems when ever I use the parts() option to attach
          > > my MIME::Entities to my soap call, the call fails with the following
          > > error message:
          > >
          > > --
          > > <faultcode>soap:Client</faultcode><faultstring>Application failed
          > > during request deserialization:
          > > syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at

          /usr/local/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm
          > > line 187
          > > </faultstring>
          > > --
          > >
          > > Has anyone successfully sent a MIME attachment from a perl client to
          > > an Apache/SOAP Server? I have not found any recent examples out
          there.

          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Steve
          >
          > --
          > ARGOSS: your partner for atmospheric, marine & coastal information
          > P O Box 61
          > 8325ZH Vollenhove The Netherlands
          > tel +31-527-242299 fax +31-527-242016
          > Web http://www.argoss.nl
          >
          > Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer
          > The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only
          for the
          > use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or
          one of
          > those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it
          or to
          > copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
          should
          > please delete it from your system.
          >
          > ARGOSS Holding BV and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability
          for any
          > errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or its attachments
          which
          > arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor accept liability for
          > statements which are those of the author and not clearly made on
          behalf of
          > ARGOSS.

        • Ger Apeldoorn
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
            Hi,

            I'm trying to get the server to respond with an attachment.

            The example @majordojo simply does not work (for me).

            Error:
            --------------------%<------------------------
            SOAP::Serializer::envelope: Server Can't call method "parts" on unblessed
            reference at ./Server.cgi line 110.
            --------------------%<------------------------

            Code:
            --------------------%<------------------------
            my $self = shift;
            my $envelope = pop;

            foreach my $part (@{$envelope->parts}) { #line 110
            print STDERR "Attachment found! (".ref($$part).")\n";
            }
            --------------------%<------------------------

            Any help/tips GREATLY appreciated!

            BTW: It's not only attachments I have to receive. I also have got some values
            that I need to retrieve. How can I get them out of the envelope?

            I read here (http://www.majordojo.com/soapmime/soapmime_and_so.php) that
            SOAP::MIME and SOAP::Lite merged in 2003. Is this perhaps the cause that the
            examples are not working?

            Many thanks,
            Ger.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hi,

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hey Ger,

                Well, I figured out a work-around. I am just sending all the stuff I
                need as arguments to the SOAP call. I've given up on MIME-attachments
                with SOAP::Lite 0.68/Apache 2.2.2 for now. I realized, I can very
                easily send up (or down) a complex Hash including binary file
                contents... So, why even use MIME attachments? What does it buy me?
                Here is an example of sending several binary files up to the server
                using MIME::Base64, and MD5 checksums... Returning files from the
                Server to the Client should be just as straight-forward.

                Client-Side Code
                use strict;
                use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_base64);
                use MIME::Base64;
                use SOAP::Lite +trace => qw(debug);
                #use SOAP::Lite;
                use File::Basename;
                use Data::Dumper;

                my @files = ('picture.gif', '/tmp/J7SLS8daSH');
                my $file_data = {};
                my $buf;
                my $b64data;
                my $checksum;

                foreach (@files) {
                $b64data = '';
                open FILE, $_;
                binmode FILE;
                $checksum = Digest::MD5->new->addfile(*FILE)->b64digest;
                close FILE;

                open FILE, $_;
                binmode FILE;

                while (read(FILE, $buf, 60*57)) {
                $b64data .= encode_base64($buf);
                }

                close FILE;

                push @{$file_data->{-files}}, {
                -name => basename ($_),
                -checksum => $checksum,
                -data => $b64data,
                };
                }

                my $soap = SOAP::Lite
                -> uri('http://myserver:8010/FILE_TEST')
                -> proxy('http://myserver:8010/server');

                if ($soap) {
                my $call = $soap->call(send_file => $file_data);

                if ($call) {
                my $return_data = $call->result;
                print Dumper $return_data;
                }
                else {
                print "Call failed\n";
                else {
                "SOAP creation failed\n";

                Server-Side Code
                package FILE_TEST;

                use strict;

                use SOAP::Lite;
                use Data::Dumper;
                use MIME::Base64;
                use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_base64);

                sub send_file {
                my ($self, $file_data) = @_;
                my $return_data;
                my $checksum;

                my $dir = "/tmp/".time();

                mkdir ($dir);

                foreach my $file (@{$file_data->{-files}}) {
                open FILE, "> $dir/$file->{-name}";
                binmode FILE;

                print FILE decode_base64($file->{-data});
                close FILE;

                open FILE, qq($dir/$file->{-name});
                binmode FILE;
                $checksum = Digest::MD5->new->addfile(*FILE)->b64digest;
                close FILE;

                push @{$return_data->{-files}}, {
                -name => $file->{-name},
                -local_checksum => $file->{-checksum},
                -server_checksum => $checksum,
                };

                }

                return $return_data;

                Client-Side Output
                $VAR1 = {
                '-files' => [
                {
                '-name' => 'movie.gif',
                '-server_checksum'=> '5q0k/WEaNi8Or7oNWdqwcg',
                '-local_checksum' => '5q0k/WEaNi8Or7oNWdqwcg'
                },
                {
                '-name' => 'J7SLS8daSH',
                '-server_checksum'=> 'HkFgablI9qGvCVq8aatM4g',
                '-local_checksum' => 'HkFgablI9qGvCVq8aatM4g'
                }
                ]
                };

                Yeah! Checksums match... good deal!

                I've tested this with a fairly large file - 13 MB Perl distro
                stable.tar.gz... and it worked fine.

                Good Luck! Let me know if you make any discoveries on the
                MIME-attachment front. But, like I said, I am not going to bother
                with them. This does everyhting I need, and gives me more flexability.

                See ya,