Re: [soaplite] Making SOAP::Lite work with .NET

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
      Hi, Andre!

      There shouldn't be any difference in connecting to .NET or any other
      server from SOAP::Lite. However there are couple of thing that you
      probably should keep in mind. They are covered in INTEROPERABILITY
      section of SOAP::Lite documentation [1]. To get started you can take
      a look into QuickStartGUide (http://guide.soaplite.com/) and
      SOAP::Lite's doc. Let me know if you face a problem.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      [1] http://perldoc.anidea.com/SOAP/Lite.html#INTEROPERABILITY

      --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice
      > using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use
      > SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only
      > had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much
      > sense to me.
      >
      > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Andre Berkowitz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
        Here is the code for my webservice:
        <%@ WebService Language="VB" Class="MyService" %>

        Imports System
        Imports System.Web.Services
        Imports System.Xml

        <WebService(Namespace:="MyService")> Public Class MyService :Inherits
        WebService

        <WebMethod()> _
        Public Function _
        GetNews() As System.Xml.XmlNode
        Dim myXML As New XmlDocument()
        Dim reader As New XmlTextReader(Server.MapPath(".\") &
        "mynewsfile.xml")

        reader.MoveToContent()
        Dim myNode As XmlNode = myXML.ReadNode(reader)

        GetNews = myNode
        End Function

        End Class

        and this is my SOAP::Lite client:

        use SOAP::Lite;
        print SOAP::Lite
        -> uri('MyService')
        -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
        -> GetNews()
        -> result;

        and it doesn't do anything.
        What am I doing wrong?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
          Hi, Andre!

          > use SOAP::Lite;
          > print SOAP::Lite
          > -> uri('MyService')
          > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
          > -> GetNews()
          > -> result;
          >
          > and it doesn't do anything.
          Can't believe it doesn't do anything. It sure does something :))

          > What am I doing wrong?
          In most cases it means that fault was returned, then result() method
          will return undef. YOu can get fault information with:

          use SOAP::Lite;
          my $response SOAP::Lite
          -> uri('MyService')
          -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
          -> GetNews();

          if ($response->fault) {
          print join ' ', $response->faultcode, $response->faulstring;
          } else {
          print $response->result;
          }

          You can also switch debug on and see full wiredump:

          my $response SOAP::Lite
          -> uri('MyService')
          -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
          -> on_debug(sub{print@_})
          -> GetNews();

          Attach generated output if it doesn't help you to find a reason.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
            Hi, Andre!

            > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
            >
            > Hmm...
            > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
            Sorry, typo. Should be:

            my $response = SOAP::Lite
            -> uri('MyService')
            -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
            -> GetNews();

            --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
            > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
            > it's
            > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
            > infuriating.
            > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
            > that the
            > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
            > CGI Error
            > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
            > complete set of
            > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
            >

            > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
            > "$response SOAP::Lite"
            > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
            > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
            >
            > "
            > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
            >
            > Hmm...
            > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

            === message truncated ===

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
                Now it gets interesting :-)

                Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                > >
                > > Hmm...
                > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
                > Sorry, typo. Should be:
                >
                > my $response = SOAP::Lite
                > -> uri('MyService')
                > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                > -> GetNews();

                > Best wishes, Paul.
                >
                > --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
                > > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
                > > it's
                > > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
                > > infuriating.
                > > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
                > > that the
                > > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
                > > CGI Error
                > > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
                > > complete set of
                > > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
                > >

                > > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
                > > "$response SOAP::Lite"
                > > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
                > > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
                > >
                > > "
                > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                > >
                > > Hmm...
                > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

              • Dave Viner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                  isn't it "faultstring" not "faulstring"?

                  dave

                  Andre Berkowitz wrote:

                  > Now it gets interesting :-)
                  >
                  > Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                  > forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                  When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for
                  society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom
                  from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free.
                  -Edward Gibbon