Re: [soaplite] Making SOAP::Lite work with .NET

  • Dirk Eddelbuettel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
      > I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use
      SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much
      sense to me.

      > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      You will have to learn (quite a bit of) Perl to make sense of SOAP::Lite.
      Once you've done that, it becomes a piece of cake.

      --
      According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
        Hi, Andre!

        There shouldn't be any difference in connecting to .NET or any other
        server from SOAP::Lite. However there are couple of thing that you
        probably should keep in mind. They are covered in INTEROPERABILITY
        section of SOAP::Lite documentation [1]. To get started you can take
        a look into QuickStartGUide (http://guide.soaplite.com/) and
        SOAP::Lite's doc. Let me know if you face a problem.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        [1] http://perldoc.anidea.com/SOAP/Lite.html#INTEROPERABILITY

        --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice
        > using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use
        > SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only
        > had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much
        > sense to me.
        >
        > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Andre Berkowitz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
          Hi all,

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
            Here is the code for my webservice:
            <%@ WebService Language="VB" Class="MyService" %>

            Imports System
            Imports System.Web.Services
            Imports System.Xml

            <WebService(Namespace:="MyService")> Public Class MyService :Inherits
            WebService

            <WebMethod()> _
            Public Function _
            GetNews() As System.Xml.XmlNode
            Dim myXML As New XmlDocument()
            Dim reader As New XmlTextReader(Server.MapPath(".\") &
            "mynewsfile.xml")

            reader.MoveToContent()
            Dim myNode As XmlNode = myXML.ReadNode(reader)

            GetNews = myNode
            End Function

            End Class

            and this is my SOAP::Lite client:

            use SOAP::Lite;
            print SOAP::Lite
            -> uri('MyService')
            -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
            -> GetNews()
            -> result;

            and it doesn't do anything.
            What am I doing wrong?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
              Hi, Andre!

              > use SOAP::Lite;
              > print SOAP::Lite
              > -> uri('MyService')
              > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
              > -> GetNews()
              > -> result;
              >
              > and it doesn't do anything.
              Can't believe it doesn't do anything. It sure does something :))

              > What am I doing wrong?
              In most cases it means that fault was returned, then result() method
              will return undef. YOu can get fault information with:

              use SOAP::Lite;
              my $response SOAP::Lite
              -> uri('MyService')
              -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
              -> GetNews();

              if ($response->fault) {
              print join ' ', $response->faultcode, $response->faulstring;
              } else {
              print $response->result;
              }

              You can also switch debug on and see full wiredump:

              my $response SOAP::Lite
              -> uri('MyService')
              -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
              -> on_debug(sub{print@_})
              -> GetNews();

              Attach generated output if it doesn't help you to find a reason.

              Best wishes, Paul.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
                Hi, Andre!

                > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                >
                > Hmm...
                > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
                Sorry, typo. Should be:

                my $response = SOAP::Lite
                -> uri('MyService')
                -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                -> GetNews();

                --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
                > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
                > it's
                > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
                > infuriating.
                > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
                > that the
                > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
                > CGI Error
                > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
                > complete set of
                > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
                >

                > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
                > "$response SOAP::Lite"
                > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
                > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
                >
                > "
                > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                >
                > Hmm...
                > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

                === message truncated ===

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
                    Now it gets interesting :-)

                    Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                    forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                    > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                    > >
                    > > Hmm...
                    > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
                    > Sorry, typo. Should be:
                    >
                    > my $response = SOAP::Lite
                    > -> uri('MyService')
                    > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                    > -> GetNews();

                    > Best wishes, Paul.
                    >
                    > --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
                    > > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
                    > > it's
                    > > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
                    > > infuriating.
                    > > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
                    > > that the
                    > > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
                    > > CGI Error
                    > > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
                    > > complete set of
                    > > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
                    > >

                    > > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
                    > > "$response SOAP::Lite"
                    > > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
                    > > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
                    > >
                    > > "
                    > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                    > >
                    > > Hmm...
                    > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

                  • Dave Viner
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                      isn't it "faultstring" not "faulstring"?

                      dave

                      Andre Berkowitz wrote:

                      > Now it gets interesting :-)
                      >
                      > Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                      > forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                      When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for
                      society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom
                      from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free.
                      -Edward Gibbon