Making SOAP::Lite work with .NET

  • Andre Berkowitz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2001
      Hi all,
      I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much sense to me.

      Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    • Dirk Eddelbuettel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
        > I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use
        SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much
        sense to me.

        > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

        You will have to learn (quite a bit of) Perl to make sense of SOAP::Lite.
        Once you've done that, it becomes a piece of cake.

        --
        According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
          Hi, Andre!

          There shouldn't be any difference in connecting to .NET or any other
          server from SOAP::Lite. However there are couple of thing that you
          probably should keep in mind. They are covered in INTEROPERABILITY
          section of SOAP::Lite documentation [1]. To get started you can take
          a look into QuickStartGUide (http://guide.soaplite.com/) and
          SOAP::Lite's doc. Let me know if you face a problem.

          Best wishes, Paul.

          [1] http://perldoc.anidea.com/SOAP/Lite.html#INTEROPERABILITY

          --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I'm brand new to Perl and SOAP::Lite. I've created a webservice
          > using Microsoft .NET and I'm trying to find out how I can use
          > SOAP::Lite to consume that webservice. The SOAP::Lite website only
          > had a couple of examples of how to do it, and it didn't make much
          > sense to me.
          >
          > Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Andre Berkowitz

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
              Here is the code for my webservice:
              <%@ WebService Language="VB" Class="MyService" %>

              Imports System
              Imports System.Web.Services
              Imports System.Xml

              <WebService(Namespace:="MyService")> Public Class MyService :Inherits
              WebService

              <WebMethod()> _
              Public Function _
              GetNews() As System.Xml.XmlNode
              Dim myXML As New XmlDocument()
              Dim reader As New XmlTextReader(Server.MapPath(".\") &
              "mynewsfile.xml")

              reader.MoveToContent()
              Dim myNode As XmlNode = myXML.ReadNode(reader)

              GetNews = myNode
              End Function

              End Class

              and this is my SOAP::Lite client:

              use SOAP::Lite;
              print SOAP::Lite
              -> uri('MyService')
              -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
              -> GetNews()
              -> result;

              and it doesn't do anything.
              What am I doing wrong?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 29, 2001
                Hi, Andre!

                > use SOAP::Lite;
                > print SOAP::Lite
                > -> uri('MyService')
                > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                > -> GetNews()
                > -> result;
                >
                > and it doesn't do anything.
                Can't believe it doesn't do anything. It sure does something :))

                > What am I doing wrong?
                In most cases it means that fault was returned, then result() method
                will return undef. YOu can get fault information with:

                use SOAP::Lite;
                my $response SOAP::Lite
                -> uri('MyService')
                -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                -> GetNews();

                if ($response->fault) {
                print join ' ', $response->faultcode, $response->faulstring;
                } else {
                print $response->result;
                }

                You can also switch debug on and see full wiredump:

                my $response SOAP::Lite
                -> uri('MyService')
                -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                -> on_debug(sub{print@_})
                -> GetNews();

                Attach generated output if it doesn't help you to find a reason.

                Best wishes, Paul.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
                  Hi, Andre!

                  > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                  >
                  > Hmm...
                  > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
                  Sorry, typo. Should be:

                  my $response = SOAP::Lite
                  -> uri('MyService')
                  -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                  -> GetNews();

                  --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
                  > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
                  > it's
                  > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
                  > infuriating.
                  > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
                  > that the
                  > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
                  > CGI Error
                  > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
                  > complete set of
                  > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
                  >

                  > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
                  > "$response SOAP::Lite"
                  > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
                  > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
                  >
                  > "
                  > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                  >
                  > Hmm...
                  > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

                  === message truncated ===

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
                      Now it gets interesting :-)

                      Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                      forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                      > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                      > >
                      > > Hmm...
                      > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)
                      > Sorry, typo. Should be:
                      >
                      > my $response = SOAP::Lite
                      > -> uri('MyService')
                      > -> proxy('http://localhost/myservice.asmx')
                      > -> GetNews();

                      > Best wishes, Paul.
                      >
                      > --- Andre Berkowitz <obsessed@...> wrote:
                      > > I love error messages! It's so fun to debug an error in a program -
                      > > it's
                      > > just when they don't give you errors and don't work that are really
                      > > infuriating.
                      > > Welp, now I have an error message. The strange thing though, is
                      > > that the
                      > > error seems to be in the perl code itself and not in my webservice.
                      > > CGI Error
                      > > The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a
                      > > complete set of
                      > > HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
                      > >

                      > > Bareword found where operator expected at D:\client.pl line 2, near
                      > > "$response SOAP::Lite"
                      > > (Missing operator before SOAP::Lite?)
                      > > syntax error at D:\client.pl line 3, near "$response SOAP::Lite
                      > >
                      > > "
                      > > Execution of D:\client.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
                      > >
                      > > Hmm...
                      > > I'm sure we'll get it figured out from here :-)

                    • Dave Viner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                        isn't it "faultstring" not "faulstring"?

                        dave

                        Andre Berkowitz wrote:

                        > Now it gets interesting :-)
                        >
                        > Can't locate object method "faulstring" via package "SOAP::SOM" (perhaps you
                        > forgot to load "SOAP::SOM"?) at D:\client.pl line 8.

                        When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for
                        society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom
                        from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free.
                        -Edward Gibbon