Trying to get SOAP::Lite "hello world" working.

  • Steven Hilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
      Greetings,

      I'm trying to get a hello world app working with SOAP::Lite. As a
      straight cgi, it seems to work as expected.

      But under mod_perl, whether as a straight handler or through
      Apache::Registry, it seems to fail when the same httpd process is hit
      a second time. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

      The *first* time a process is hit, I get expected output. On all
      subsequent hits to the same PID, I get unexpected behavior.

      When I turns +trace => 'debug' on, the non-first PID hits have this as
      a fault string:

      [...] <faultstring>Denied access to method (hello) in class (My::Test)
      at [path to]/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/SOAP/Lite.pm line 2267.
      </faultstring> [...]

      I'm not sure why it works on the first PID hit, but not subsequent
      ones. I'm currently reading a lot of docs on SOAP::Lite
      (http://cookbook.soaplite.com/ ,http://guide.soaplite.com/
      http://search.cpan.org/dist/SOAP-Lite/lib/OldDocs/SOAP/Lite.pm and
      others) but I'm hoping to get some assistance on this simple hello
      world thing.

      I haven't tried (yet) to define the Module and method name of during
      the 'use SOAP::Lite' line because (a) it *does* work on the first
      PID-hit and (b) I haven't seen syntax to include muliple modules and
      methods in one declaration. I really just want to include a path, so
      that anything dropped there will be publicly available.

      Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      Here's the set up:

      SERVER:
      script:
      --------------------
      #!/usr/perl/bin/perl -w
      use strict;
      # $Id$
      use lib "/home/shilton/shared/test";

      use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;
      use Data::Dumper;
      warn "$$ ---->";
      SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI->dispatch_to(
      '/home/shilton/shared/test',
      )->handle();
      1;
      ----------------------

      module:
      --------------
      package My::Test;

      use strict;
      my $count = 0;
      sub hello {$count++; return "hello... $$ . $count"};
      1;
      ---------------

      CLIENT: soap_test.pl
      ---------------------------
      #!/nm/sw/perl/bin/perl -w
      use strict;
      use Data::Dumper;
      use SOAP::Lite +trace => 'debug', +autodispatch =>
      #use SOAP::Lite +autodispatch =>
      uri => 'http://localhost/',
      proxy => 'http://shilton-red-preview.apps.nandomedia.com/api-bin/soap.cgi'
      ;
      my $t;
      $t = My::Test->hello();
      warn Dumper $t;

      httpd.conf:
      ---------------------------------
      ScriptAlias /api-bin /home/shilton/shared/test/api-bin
      <Location /api-bin>
      SetHandler perl-script
      #PerlHandler NM::Registration::API::SOAP
      PerlHandler Apache::Registry
      </Location>
      ---------------------------------

      After a fresh restart of apache, this is the results:
      client output:

      $VAR1 = 'hello... 21671 . 1';
      $VAR1 = 'hello... 21672 . 1';
      $VAR1 = 'hello... 21673 . 1';
      $VAR1 = 'hello... 21674 . 1';
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;
      $VAR1 = undef;

      server output:
      21671 ----> at /home/shilton/shared/test/api-bin/soap.cgi line 7.
      21672 ----> at /home/shilton/shared/test/api-bin/soap.cgi line 7.
      21673 ----> at /home/shilton/shared/test/api-bin/soap.cgi line 7.
      21674 ----> at /home/shilton/shared/test/api-bin/soap.cgi line 7.

      --
      Steven Hilton <mshiltonj@...>
      <http://mshiltonj.com/>

      "It is the duty of the patriot to protect
      his country from its government." -- Thomas Paine
    • Eric Bridger
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
        Steven,

        I'm trying to remember the details but I ran into some very similar
        problems when first starting out with SOAP::Lite and mod_perl cgi.

        I'm thinking that your My::Test.pm module cannot be defined inside your
        cgi script and you must use something like:

        -> dispatch_to('/home/shilton/shared/test', 'My::Test')

        But really I don't remember exactly what the issue was. I did finally
        get CGI mode working but switched to Apache::SOAP long ago. Much
        speedier using something like:

        <LocationMatch /soap/mytest$>
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::SOAP
        PerlSetVar dispatch_to "/home/shilton/shared/test, My::Test"
        PerlSetVar options "compress_threshold => 10000"
        </LocationMatch>

      • Steven Hilton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
          Eric,

          Thanks for the reply.

          Changing the dispatch_to() params as suggested does fix my problem.
          But this begs the question -- can I only dispatch to a single class?
          If I am able to dispatch to multiple clases, how do I set that up?

          Hopefully I can try out Apache::SOAP.

          Thanks again.

          - Steven

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
            I believe dispatch_to can work a number of ways:
            ->dispatch_to('/path/to/your/modules'); Will give access to all the
            modules at that dir.
            ->dispatch_to('/path/to/your/modules', My:Module, My::Module2, etc.);
            Give access to Module and Module2, etc in that dir.
            ->dispatch_to(Module, Module2, Module3);
            Give access to Module, Module2 and Module3. Need to be in your @INC.