Forking daemon with win32 perl?

  • Dr. Weidong Wang
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2001
      Has anyone had good experience getting the forking daemon to work on win32 perl?

      I have been trying to get fork() to work reliably on win32 (win2k box), but it does not work as I expected. I first tried with the non-forking daemon, but call fork() in one function, The parent process is supposed to return quickly, while the child process to start anothr daemon program. What I got was, the new daemon would start, but the parent never returned anything, so the client just waited.

      Any ideas? Thanks.

      Weidong

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2001
        Hi, Weidong!

        I would also like to hear opinions on that. ActiveState?

        I finished non-blocking TCP daemon and would like to add non-blocking
        HTTP daemon. It might help you to get the result you want. Only I/O
        is nonblocking, processing itself done by single thread, but this
        solution works on almost any platform.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- "Dr. Weidong Wang" <wwang@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone had good experience getting the forking daemon to work
        > on win32 perl?
        >
        > I have been trying to get fork() to work reliably on win32 (win2k
        > box), but it does not work as I expected. I first tried with the
        > non-forking daemon, but call fork() in one function, The parent
        > process is supposed to return quickly, while the child process to
        > start anothr daemon program. What I got was, the new daemon would
        > start, but the parent never returned anything, so the client just
        > waited.
        >
        > Any ideas? Thanks.
        >
        > Weidong

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Weidong Wang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2001
          Here is the story.

          fork() on win32 is an emulation with threads. As such, if any "process" is not finished, the whole program will not exit. This presents a problem for me, as I wanted my SOAP code to launch a new daemon under certain condition and return the port number back to the soap clients. That does not work since the new deamon does not return, so the whole perl process does not return. The result is, my soap client waits forever.

          The solution, for win32, for this problem is to forget fork() and use Win32::Process to create a new process. That works, though it makes my code non portable.