Re: [soaplite] Wrapping command-line tools

  • Kai McBride
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2006
      Per,

      my guess is you would want to create a perl package that is a wrapper
      to calling your C/Fortran code. The SOAP::Lite server will call the
      function
      to the wrapper package which would then call your program appropriately.

      Not knowing anything else about your other program I'm guessing that the
      command line tool doesn't expect SOAP/XML but just to be called with
      flags. You could create SOAP calls to uniquely launch your tool.

      example: GetModuleInfo

      package MyModuleWrapper;

      sub GetModuleInfo{
      # call /usr/local/bin/myModule --getinfo
      # return $myModuleResponse
      }

      There are probably other ways of doing this, but that is how I would
      approach the problem.

      As far as the WSDL file goes, you would need to create one to tell
      clients how they should call the MyModuleWrapper, and all of
      those wrapper methods like 'GetModuleInfo' in the pseudo example above.

      good luck,

      -kai

      On Feb 10, 2006, at 2:27 AM, pela3247 wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > Being a total newbie to the whole web services thing, I have a
      > couple of questions about how
      > to deploy it using SOAP::Lite.
      >
      > I have a command-line tool running locally written in C/Fortran
      > that I need to make available
      > as a webservice. How do I go about? I have studied all the Hello
      > World-examples out there,
      > but none of them seem to go beyond just that. I guess I need to
      > create a wsdl file describinf
      > my application, but what happens then? How do I make it available
      > to other people? How do i
      > pass the incoming calls to my tool?
      >
      > Cheers
      > /Per
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • pela3247
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2006
        Thank you very much for that. To summarise I need to write a Perl
        module which takes the incoming soap-call and parses it to my
        application (which just expects flags). How do I then collect the
        output which is written to STDOUT?

        Just to follow up on the wsdl-part, where do I put the wsdl file once
        i have written it. I guess that the apache webserver need to know
        about it somehow, or am I completely out in the blue?

        /Per