Performance?

  • rclauer@voicenet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2001
      This is quite an interesting module! I had been thinking about how I
      was going to invoke some remote methods in Perl about 6 months ago
      when I saw this in Linux Journal. Cool!

      Got it working but the performance (even locally) is very poor. I
      suspect it is my configuration (a P100 w/64MB RAM, Apache, perl 5.6.0
      running as CGI) but wondered if others have had similar experience
      before I chalk it up to my wonky machine. I have mod_perl installed
      but for testing this module I have not enabled it to use that module.

      Any thoughts?
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2001
        Hi, rclauer@...!

        Actually it's exactly my configuration :). You din't name your OS,
        but on my Win98 CGI script runs about one second, which is not
        exactly what I'm looking for. With mod_perl, Apache::Registry or
        daemon situation is little bit different, about 10 times better. I
        got reports about ~20ms (twenty) for CGI implementation, which is not
        bad. I'm working on it (and performance was slightly increased), but
        there is not much I can do. Any suggestions? Ideas?

        Best wishes, Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 22, 2001
          >You din't name your OS,
          > but on my Win98 CGI script runs about one second, which is not
          > exactly what I'm looking for. With mod_perl, Apache::Registry or
          > daemon situation is little bit different, about 10 times better. I
          > got reports about ~20ms (twenty) for CGI implementation, which is
          not
          > bad. I'm working on it (and performance was slightly increased), but
          > there is not much I can do. Any suggestions? Ideas?

          Linux (Mandrake 7.2 actually) and it takes 4-5 seconds to run a hello
          world on localhost. I suspect my setup is "wonky" if you are getting
          that kind of performance...I'll chalk it up to my machine, an upgrade
          is in the works anyway.

          BTW, great work. This is pretty amazing stuff. Thanks!
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2001
            Glad to announce that new version of SOAP::Lite went live. New
            features:

            - fixed test issues
            - redesigned tests and split on core and optional for smooth
            installation
            - slightly modified COM interface
            minimal version is fixed to not require absent modules
            included examples in C# and PerlScript
            more documentation included, examples of handling hashes and arrays
            - added compression for HTTP transport
            - added mod_soap interface, add SOAP server functionality
            with couple of lines in .htaccess or httpd.conf file
            - added proper serialization of circular multiple references
            - added handling PIPE and INT signals in Daemon server implementation
            - added examples for cookie-based authorization
            - updated documentation and added new examples

            Little bit more about mod_soap feature. It allows you create SOAP
            server by simply adding .htaccess file in current directory that has
            something like:

            SetHandler perl-script
            PerlHandler Apache::SOAP
            PerlSetVar dispatch_to "/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules, Module::Name"

            In httpd.conf file you may also specify <Location> or
            <Files>/<FilesMatch>:

            <FilesMatch "\.soap$">
            SetHandler perl-script
            PerlHandler Apache::SOAP
            PerlSetVar dispatch_to "/Your/Path/To/Deployed/Modules, \
            Module::Name, Module::method"
            PerlSetVar options "compress_threshold => 10000"
            </FilesMatch>

            And any file with .soap extension becomes soap endpoint. SOAP hosting
            with mod_perl doesn't seem to be too cumbersome.

            Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or find any
            problem. Enjoy!

          • Duncan Cameron
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
              Paul

              nmake test doesn't work on Win32 due to t/0*.t not being expanded into individual filenames. If the filenames are listed individually then it works fine.

              Regards,
              Duncan Cameron

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2001
                Hi, Duncan!