Re: [soaplite] v0.66: use_prefix deprecated and services via WSDL

  • Byrne Reese
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
      I am sorry you guys are experiencing problems. I had a feeling this was
      going to trip people up, which is why I documented this change so
      thoroughly. The following blog post should hopefully clear things up --
      knock on wood.

      http://www.soaplite.com/2005/04/tturitt_and_ttu.html

      In summary, the autogenerated code stubs created by SOAP::Lite
      (actually) should not reference these deprecated methods. So if it is,
      then there is a problem that must be resolved. But please consult the
      following man page, which has more details about the latest changes to
      SOAP::Lite's APIs in regards to WSDL:

      http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/docs/Schema.html

      You can actually cache, or save the generated code stubs - or print them
      to the screen. If you are having problems with a specific web service,
      by all means, forward your code to this mailing list, and I or someone
      else should be able to help.

      Byrne
      Lead Developer, SOAP::Lite

      Eric Bridger wrote:
      > Not really sure but you could try:
      >
      > SOAP::Lite->service(...)
      > ->use_prefix(0)
      >
      > Also see:
      >
      > SOAP::Lite->serializer->register_ns(namespace, prefix);
      >
      > Eric
      >
      > On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:03, Dan Horne wrote:
      > > Running the standard web service example from the doco:
      > >
      > > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
      > > use SOAP::Lite;
      > > print SOAP::Lite
      > > -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
      > <http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl%27%29>
      > > -> getQuote('MSFT');
      > >
      > > And the warnings return:
      > >
      > > use_prefix has been deprecated. if you wish to turn off or on the
      > use of a
      > > default namespace, then please use either ns(uri) or default_ns(uri) at
      > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/SOAP/Lite.pm line 858.
      > >
      > > It's not clear to me how I use ns or default_ns in this instance.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Dan Horne
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • cubrewer
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
        --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Byrne Reese <byrne@m...> wrote:

        > In summary, the autogenerated code stubs created by SOAP::Lite
        > (actually) should not reference these deprecated methods. So if it is,
        > then there is a problem that must be resolved. But please consult the

        Byrne,

        I'm having this trouble too after examining the pages you reference.
        I'm using the 3-line client code directly from the documentation. The
        relevant line is:

        print SOAP::Lite
        -> uri('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')
        -> proxy('http://services.soaplite.com/hibye.cgi')
        -> hi()
        -> result;

        And the warning is generated at line 858 of Lite.pm which is inside
        use_prefix()... So, clearly, use_prefix() is being called but not
        directly by me.

        Anyway, if I look for instances of use_prefix() in Lite.pm I see that
        uri() uses it on the sixth line (line 884):

        sub uri {
        my $self = shift->new;
        # warn 'uri has been deprecated. if you wish to set the [...]
        if (@_) {
        $self->{'_ns_uri'} = shift;
        $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);
        return $self;
        }
        return $self->{'_ns_uri'};
        }

        If I just comment out this call to use_prefix() then all is well with
        the client. Change:

        $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);

        $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'});

        But I have no idea what your code is doing! Clearly uri() is calling
        the deprecated use_prefix() on line 884 in error, but I don't know if
        my change breaks your code...

        Please have pity on a newbie and let me know if this is sane or if
        there is a better approach to quashing this annoying warning.

        -Alan
      • cubrewer
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "cubrewer" <cubrewer@y...> wrote:

          > print SOAP::Lite
          > -> uri('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')
          > -> proxy('http://services.soaplite.com/hibye.cgi')
          > -> hi()
          > -> result;

          I guess the issue is that uri() is depreacted as well and if you
          substitute ns() or default_ns() for uri() then all is well:

          print SOAP::Lite
          -> ns('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')

          -Alan
        • Dan Horne
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
            Hi Byrne

            I'm afraid that I haven't been able to make much progress. The code from the
            generated stub makes no explicit reference to "use_prefix" (I've pasted the
            stub below). I tried following the SOAP::Lite code around to try and figure
            out where use_prefix may be called, but I got lost in all of the AUTOLOADs
            and dynamic methods, I'm afraid.

            As a side note, following the POD doco for generating stubs doesn't work
            (unless I've misunderstood the doco). SOAP Lite tries calling the stub
            method on the remote web service:

            # ./stub.pl
            Unrecognized method 'stub'. List of available method(s): getQuote

            stub.pl:

            #!/usr/local/bin/perl
            use SOAP::Lite;
            my $client = SOAP::Lite->new;
            my $wsdl = 'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl';
            my $code = $client->service($wsdl)->stub;

            This works:

            #!/usr/local/bin/perl
            use SOAP::Lite;
            my $wsdl = 'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl';
            print SOAP::Schema->new->schema_url($wsdl)->parse->load->stub;

            The generated stub:

            package net_xmethods_services_stockquote_StockQuoteService;
            # Generated by SOAP::Lite (v0.66) for Perl -- soaplite.com
            # Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Paul Kulchenko
            # -- generated at [Fri Dec 30 11:16:00 2005]
            # -- generated from http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl
            my %methods = (
            getQuote => {
            endpoint => 'http://services.xmethods.net/soap',
            soapaction => 'urn:xmethods-delayed-quotes#getQuote',
            uri => 'urn:xmethods-delayed-quotes',
            parameters => [
            SOAP::Data->new(name => 'symbol', type => 'xsd:string', attr => {}),
            ], # end parameters
            }, # end getQuote
            ); # end my %methods

            use SOAP::Lite;
            use Exporter;
            use Carp ();

            use vars qw(@ISA $AUTOLOAD @EXPORT_OK %EXPORT_TAGS);
            @ISA = qw(Exporter SOAP::Lite);
            @EXPORT_OK = (keys %methods);
            %EXPORT_TAGS = ('all' => [@EXPORT_OK]);

            sub _call {
            my ($self, $method) = (shift, shift);
            my $name = UNIVERSAL::isa($method => 'SOAP::Data') ? $method->name :
            $method;
            my %method = %{$methods{$name}};
            $self->proxy($method{endpoint} || Carp::croak "No server address (proxy)
            specified")
            unless $self->proxy;
            my @templates = @{$method{parameters}};
            my @parameters = ();
            foreach my $param (@_) {
            if (@templates) {
            my $template = shift @templates;
            my ($prefix,$typename) = SOAP::Utils::splitqname($template->type);
            my $method = 'as_'.$typename;
            # TODO - if can('as_'.$typename) {...}
            my $result = $self->serializer->$method($param, $template->name,
            $template->type, $template->attr);
            push(@parameters, $template->value($result->[2]));
            } else {
            push(@parameters, $param);
            $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
            ->uri($method{uri})
            ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.themindelectric.com/","electric")
            ;

            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/","soap
            ");
            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/","wsdl");

            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/","
            soapenc");

            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.themindelectric.com/wsdl/net.xmet
            hods.services.stockquote.StockQuote/","tns");
            $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema","xsd");
            my $som = $self->SUPER::call($method => @parameters);
            if ($self->want_som) {
            return $som;
            }
            UNIVERSAL::isa($som => 'SOAP::SOM') ? wantarray ? $som->paramsall :
            $som->result : $som;
            }

            sub BEGIN {
            no strict 'refs';
            for my $method (qw(want_som)) {
            my $field = '_' . $method;
            *$method = sub {
            my $self = shift->new;
            @_ ? ($self->{$field} = shift, return $self) : return $self->{$field};
            no strict 'refs';
            for my $method (@EXPORT_OK) {
            my %method = %{$methods{$method}};
            *$method = sub {
            my $self = UNIVERSAL::isa($_[0] => __PACKAGE__)
            ? ref $_[0] ? shift # OBJECT
            # CLASS, either get self or create new and assign to self
            : (shift->self || __PACKAGE__->self(__PACKAGE__->new))
            # function call, either get self or create new and assign to self
            : (__PACKAGE__->self || __PACKAGE__->self(__PACKAGE__->new));
            $self->_call($method, @_);

            sub AUTOLOAD {
            my $method = substr($AUTOLOAD, rindex($AUTOLOAD, '::') + 2);
            return if $method eq 'DESTROY' || $method eq 'want_som';
            die "Unrecognized method '$method'. List of available method(s):
            @EXPORT_OK\n";
            }

            1;

            Thanks

            Dan Horne

          • Byrne Reese
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
              Damn. Ok. This could be a hack, but let's see if we can't nail this down:

              Do you see the following code in the stub?

              $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
              ->uri($method{uri})
              ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

              Try saving the stub to disk and changing that to:

              $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
              ->ns($method{uri})
              ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

              uri() might be making a call to use_prefix... but the use of uri() is
              deprecated as well. Hmmm.

            • Dan Horne
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
                Alas, ns doesn't work - it raises a Java exception at the server end -- but
                default_ns does.

                Thanks

                Dan

              • Eric Bridger
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                  Just an FYI.
                  The Schema POD has it a bit wrong: Missing the schema object. I got the
                  following to work as expected:

                  my $code = SOAP::Lite->new(service =>
                  'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')->schema->stub;

                  Eric

                • Eric Bridger
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Hmmm. This has been an educational thread, but back to the original
                    post yesterday. The code below works as expected with no warnings about
                    use_prefix.

                    On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:03, Dan Horne wrote:
                    > Running the standard web service example from the doco:
                    >
                    > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
                    > use SOAP::Lite;
                    > print SOAP::Lite
                    > -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
                    > -> getQuote('MSFT');
                    >
                    > And the warnings return:
                    >
                    > use_prefix has been deprecated. if you wish to turn off or on the use
                    of a
                    > default namespace, then please use either ns(uri) or default_ns(uri)
                    at
                    > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/SOAP/Lite.pm line 858.
                    >
                    > It's not clear to me how I use ns or default_ns in this instance.
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Dan Horne
                  • Dan Horne
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                      Hi Eric

                      Are you sure? I've just installed the new 0.66 version SOAP::Lite on three
                      different machines, and all exhibit the behaviour. From the uri method:

                      $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);

                      and use_prefix has the warning.

                      Dan

                    • Eric Bridger
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                        Well I am still using version: .65_6
                        use SOAP::Lite;
                        print SOAP::Lite
                        -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
                        -> getQuote('MSFT');
                        print "\n";

                        gives no warnings.

                        On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:23, Dan Horne wrote:
                        > Hi Eric
                        >
                        > Are you sure? I've just installed the new 0.66 version SOAP::Lite on three
                        > different machines, and all exhibit the behaviour. From the uri method:
                        >
                        > $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);
                        >
                        > and use_prefix has the warning.
                        >
                        > Dan

                      • Dan Horne
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                          .65_6 doesn't have this warning

                        • Dan Horne
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                            > .65_6 doesn't have this warning

                            Sorry, actually that's not true, but I can't test it .65_6.

                            Dan