Re: [soaplite] v0.66: use_prefix deprecated and services via WSDL

  • Eric Bridger
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
      Not really sure but you could try:

      SOAP::Lite->service(...)
      ->use_prefix(0)

      Also see:

      SOAP::Lite->serializer->register_ns(namespace, prefix);

      Eric

      On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:03, Dan Horne wrote:
      > Running the standard web service example from the doco:
      >
      > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
      > use SOAP::Lite;
      > print SOAP::Lite
      > -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
      > -> getQuote('MSFT');
      >
      > And the warnings return:
      >
      > use_prefix has been deprecated. if you wish to turn off or on the use of a
      > default namespace, then please use either ns(uri) or default_ns(uri) at
      > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/SOAP/Lite.pm line 858.
      >
      > It's not clear to me how I use ns or default_ns in this instance.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dan Horne
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
        I am sorry you guys are experiencing problems. I had a feeling this was
        going to trip people up, which is why I documented this change so
        thoroughly. The following blog post should hopefully clear things up --
        knock on wood.

        http://www.soaplite.com/2005/04/tturitt_and_ttu.html

        In summary, the autogenerated code stubs created by SOAP::Lite
        (actually) should not reference these deprecated methods. So if it is,
        then there is a problem that must be resolved. But please consult the
        following man page, which has more details about the latest changes to
        SOAP::Lite's APIs in regards to WSDL:

        http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/docs/Schema.html

        You can actually cache, or save the generated code stubs - or print them
        to the screen. If you are having problems with a specific web service,
        by all means, forward your code to this mailing list, and I or someone
        else should be able to help.

        Byrne
        Lead Developer, SOAP::Lite

        Eric Bridger wrote:
        > Not really sure but you could try:
        >
        > SOAP::Lite->service(...)
        > ->use_prefix(0)
        >
        > Also see:
        >
        > SOAP::Lite->serializer->register_ns(namespace, prefix);
        >
        > Eric
        >
        > On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:03, Dan Horne wrote:
        > > Running the standard web service example from the doco:
        > >
        > > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
        > > use SOAP::Lite;
        > > print SOAP::Lite
        > > -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
        > <http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl%27%29>
        > > -> getQuote('MSFT');
        > >
        > > And the warnings return:
        > >
        > > use_prefix has been deprecated. if you wish to turn off or on the
        > use of a
        > > default namespace, then please use either ns(uri) or default_ns(uri) at
        > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/SOAP/Lite.pm line 858.
        > >
        > > It's not clear to me how I use ns or default_ns in this instance.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Dan Horne
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • cubrewer
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
          --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, Byrne Reese <byrne@m...> wrote:

          > In summary, the autogenerated code stubs created by SOAP::Lite
          > (actually) should not reference these deprecated methods. So if it is,
          > then there is a problem that must be resolved. But please consult the

          Byrne,

          I'm having this trouble too after examining the pages you reference.
          I'm using the 3-line client code directly from the documentation. The
          relevant line is:

          print SOAP::Lite
          -> uri('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')
          -> proxy('http://services.soaplite.com/hibye.cgi')
          -> hi()
          -> result;

          And the warning is generated at line 858 of Lite.pm which is inside
          use_prefix()... So, clearly, use_prefix() is being called but not
          directly by me.

          Anyway, if I look for instances of use_prefix() in Lite.pm I see that
          uri() uses it on the sixth line (line 884):

          sub uri {
          my $self = shift->new;
          # warn 'uri has been deprecated. if you wish to set the [...]
          if (@_) {
          $self->{'_ns_uri'} = shift;
          $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);
          return $self;
          }
          return $self->{'_ns_uri'};
          }

          If I just comment out this call to use_prefix() then all is well with
          the client. Change:

          $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);

          $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'});

          But I have no idea what your code is doing! Clearly uri() is calling
          the deprecated use_prefix() on line 884 in error, but I don't know if
          my change breaks your code...

          Please have pity on a newbie and let me know if this is sane or if
          there is a better approach to quashing this annoying warning.

          -Alan
        • cubrewer
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
            --- In soaplite@yahoogroups.com, "cubrewer" <cubrewer@y...> wrote:

            > print SOAP::Lite
            > -> uri('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')
            > -> proxy('http://services.soaplite.com/hibye.cgi')
            > -> hi()
            > -> result;

            I guess the issue is that uri() is depreacted as well and if you
            substitute ns() or default_ns() for uri() then all is well:

            print SOAP::Lite
            -> ns('http://www.soaplite.com/Demo')

            -Alan
          • Dan Horne
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
              Hi Byrne

              I'm afraid that I haven't been able to make much progress. The code from the
              generated stub makes no explicit reference to "use_prefix" (I've pasted the
              stub below). I tried following the SOAP::Lite code around to try and figure
              out where use_prefix may be called, but I got lost in all of the AUTOLOADs
              and dynamic methods, I'm afraid.

              As a side note, following the POD doco for generating stubs doesn't work
              (unless I've misunderstood the doco). SOAP Lite tries calling the stub
              method on the remote web service:

              # ./stub.pl
              Unrecognized method 'stub'. List of available method(s): getQuote

              stub.pl:

              #!/usr/local/bin/perl
              use SOAP::Lite;
              my $client = SOAP::Lite->new;
              my $wsdl = 'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl';
              my $code = $client->service($wsdl)->stub;

              This works:

              #!/usr/local/bin/perl
              use SOAP::Lite;
              my $wsdl = 'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl';
              print SOAP::Schema->new->schema_url($wsdl)->parse->load->stub;

              The generated stub:

              package net_xmethods_services_stockquote_StockQuoteService;
              # Generated by SOAP::Lite (v0.66) for Perl -- soaplite.com
              # Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Paul Kulchenko
              # -- generated at [Fri Dec 30 11:16:00 2005]
              # -- generated from http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl
              my %methods = (
              getQuote => {
              endpoint => 'http://services.xmethods.net/soap',
              soapaction => 'urn:xmethods-delayed-quotes#getQuote',
              uri => 'urn:xmethods-delayed-quotes',
              parameters => [
              SOAP::Data->new(name => 'symbol', type => 'xsd:string', attr => {}),
              ], # end parameters
              }, # end getQuote
              ); # end my %methods

              use SOAP::Lite;
              use Exporter;
              use Carp ();

              use vars qw(@ISA $AUTOLOAD @EXPORT_OK %EXPORT_TAGS);
              @ISA = qw(Exporter SOAP::Lite);
              @EXPORT_OK = (keys %methods);
              %EXPORT_TAGS = ('all' => [@EXPORT_OK]);

              sub _call {
              my ($self, $method) = (shift, shift);
              my $name = UNIVERSAL::isa($method => 'SOAP::Data') ? $method->name :
              $method;
              my %method = %{$methods{$name}};
              $self->proxy($method{endpoint} || Carp::croak "No server address (proxy)
              specified")
              unless $self->proxy;
              my @templates = @{$method{parameters}};
              my @parameters = ();
              foreach my $param (@_) {
              if (@templates) {
              my $template = shift @templates;
              my ($prefix,$typename) = SOAP::Utils::splitqname($template->type);
              my $method = 'as_'.$typename;
              # TODO - if can('as_'.$typename) {...}
              my $result = $self->serializer->$method($param, $template->name,
              $template->type, $template->attr);
              push(@parameters, $template->value($result->[2]));
              } else {
              push(@parameters, $param);
              $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
              ->uri($method{uri})
              ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.themindelectric.com/","electric")
              ;

              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/","soap
              ");
              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/","wsdl");

              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/","
              soapenc");

              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.themindelectric.com/wsdl/net.xmet
              hods.services.stockquote.StockQuote/","tns");
              $self->serializer->register_ns("http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema","xsd");
              my $som = $self->SUPER::call($method => @parameters);
              if ($self->want_som) {
              return $som;
              }
              UNIVERSAL::isa($som => 'SOAP::SOM') ? wantarray ? $som->paramsall :
              $som->result : $som;
              }

              sub BEGIN {
              no strict 'refs';
              for my $method (qw(want_som)) {
              my $field = '_' . $method;
              *$method = sub {
              my $self = shift->new;
              @_ ? ($self->{$field} = shift, return $self) : return $self->{$field};
              no strict 'refs';
              for my $method (@EXPORT_OK) {
              my %method = %{$methods{$method}};
              *$method = sub {
              my $self = UNIVERSAL::isa($_[0] => __PACKAGE__)
              ? ref $_[0] ? shift # OBJECT
              # CLASS, either get self or create new and assign to self
              : (shift->self || __PACKAGE__->self(__PACKAGE__->new))
              # function call, either get self or create new and assign to self
              : (__PACKAGE__->self || __PACKAGE__->self(__PACKAGE__->new));
              $self->_call($method, @_);

              sub AUTOLOAD {
              my $method = substr($AUTOLOAD, rindex($AUTOLOAD, '::') + 2);
              return if $method eq 'DESTROY' || $method eq 'want_som';
              die "Unrecognized method '$method'. List of available method(s):
              @EXPORT_OK\n";
              }

              1;

              Thanks

              Dan Horne

            • Byrne Reese
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
                Damn. Ok. This could be a hack, but let's see if we can't nail this down:

                Do you see the following code in the stub?

                $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
                ->uri($method{uri})
                ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

                Try saving the stub to disk and changing that to:

                $self->endpoint($method{endpoint})
                ->ns($method{uri})
                ->on_action(sub{qq!"$method{soapaction}"!});

                uri() might be making a call to use_prefix... but the use of uri() is
                deprecated as well. Hmmm.

              • Dan Horne
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 29, 2005
                  Alas, ns doesn't work - it raises a Java exception at the server end -- but
                  default_ns does.

                  Thanks

                  Dan

                • Eric Bridger
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Just an FYI.
                    The Schema POD has it a bit wrong: Missing the schema object. I got the
                    following to work as expected:

                    my $code = SOAP::Lite->new(service =>
                    'http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')->schema->stub;

                    Eric

                  • Eric Bridger
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                      Hmmm. This has been an educational thread, but back to the original
                      post yesterday. The code below works as expected with no warnings about
                      use_prefix.

                      On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:03, Dan Horne wrote:
                      > Running the standard web service example from the doco:
                      >
                      > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
                      > use SOAP::Lite;
                      > print SOAP::Lite
                      > -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
                      > -> getQuote('MSFT');
                      >
                      > And the warnings return:
                      >
                      > use_prefix has been deprecated. if you wish to turn off or on the use
                      of a
                      > default namespace, then please use either ns(uri) or default_ns(uri)
                      at
                      > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/SOAP/Lite.pm line 858.
                      >
                      > It's not clear to me how I use ns or default_ns in this instance.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Dan Horne
                    • Dan Horne
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                        Hi Eric

                        Are you sure? I've just installed the new 0.66 version SOAP::Lite on three
                        different machines, and all exhibit the behaviour. From the uri method:

                        $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);

                        and use_prefix has the warning.

                        Dan

                      • Eric Bridger
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                          Well I am still using version: .65_6
                          use SOAP::Lite;
                          print SOAP::Lite
                          -> service('http://www.xmethods.net/sd/StockQuoteService.wsdl')
                          -> getQuote('MSFT');
                          print "\n";

                          gives no warnings.

                          On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:23, Dan Horne wrote:
                          > Hi Eric
                          >
                          > Are you sure? I've just installed the new 0.66 version SOAP::Lite on three
                          > different machines, and all exhibit the behaviour. From the uri method:
                          >
                          > $self->register_ns($self->{'_ns_uri'}) if (!$self->use_prefix);
                          >
                          > and use_prefix has the warning.
                          >
                          > Dan

                        • Dan Horne
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                            .65_6 doesn't have this warning

                          • Dan Horne
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 30, 2005
                              > .65_6 doesn't have this warning

                              Sorry, actually that's not true, but I can't test it .65_6.

                              Dan