POP3 MAILTO RPC

  • Steeve Gilbert
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2001
      How does a simple RPC via SOAP works on the POP3 MAILTO transport?
      Here's what i tought it was...

      1-The Client do an RPC. It sends a message to server@... AND
      wait for a response (I don't know how cause it doesn't poll any
      account).
      2-The Server poll his pop3 account server@..., get the mail,
      process the request and send back a response to the client by email.
      3-The Client get the response (how??).

      I'm wrong on at least one thing, the one where the client wait for
      the response. It can't wait for a response, it doesn't have any clue
      about a pop3 account. So my main concern is how the client get its
      response.

      Thanks for everything.

      Steeve...
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2001
        Hi, Steeve!

        > How does a simple RPC via SOAP works on the POP3 MAILTO transport?
        Good question. I hope you won't be too upset if I tell you that as
        far as I know nobody does it right now. There are couple of reasons:
        first, you need to identify that response message is reply to your
        message (you need to provide Message-ID and server need to put
        In-Reply-To header);
        second, you need to provide address where to reply (it may be From or
        Reply-to)
        third, you need to identify somehow that response is required
        (two-way message)
        forth, even if everything is done right, there is still no way to
        identify response received thru POP3 on request, sended thru HTTP for
        example (if different transports are used for request and response).
        You still need to provide message-ID inside the SOAP message itself.

        And after it's done (it should be), you need to scan your POP3
        mailbox searching for transport message-ID (if known) and parsing all
        messages (MIME), OR searching for SOAP message-ID and parsing all
        messages twice (MIME + XML).

        ApacheSOAP does send reply, but since it doesn't provide
        message-id+in-reply-to it just get first available message from
        mailbox and use it as a response (which may or may not be response
        for your message).

        SOAP::Lite doesn't do it right now, though I plan to undertake
        several steps:

        1. SMTP client will include message-id
        2. SMTP client will include Reply-To header if call is not in void
        context (result is expected) and there is an information how to get
        reply
        3. POP3 server will include in-reply-to based on message-id
        4. POP3 server will reply if Reply-To header is presented or if
        configured reply on From address
        5. POP3 client will be available to poll server and get message based
        on message-id.

        it's still unclear for me how interface will look (it should be
        consistent through all asynchronous transports).

        Shortly, all this long explanation means that it's not possible to do
        what you want right now.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- Steeve Gilbert <sgilbert@...> wrote:
        > How does a simple RPC via SOAP works on the POP3 MAILTO transport?
        >
        > Here's what i tought it was...
        >
        > 1-The Client do an RPC. It sends a message to server@...
        > AND
        > wait for a response (I don't know how cause it doesn't poll any
        > account).
        > 2-The Server poll his pop3 account server@..., get the
        > mail,
        > process the request and send back a response to the client by
        > email.
        > 3-The Client get the response (how??).
        >
        > I'm wrong on at least one thing, the one where the client wait for
        > the response. It can't wait for a response, it doesn't have any
        > clue
        > about a pop3 account. So my main concern is how the client get its
        >
        > response.
        >
        > Thanks for everything.
        >
        > Steeve...

        http://buzz.yahoo.com/
      • Steeve Gilbert
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2001
          > > How does a simple RPC via SOAP works on the POP3 MAILTO
          > > transport?
          > Good question. I hope you won't be too upset if I tell you that as
          > far as I know nobody does it right now.

          Ok! :-) At least i find out about it now and not too late. Do you
          have a release date for the POP3 MAILTO complete support in
          SOAP::Lite? or at least with reponse sent in reply. Is there any
          spec on how to do SOAP over POP3 MAILTO? I don't think so since SOAP
          doesn't care about the transport. Interportability is going to be
          fun! :-)

          Thanks Paul!
          bye!

          Steeve...
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2001
            Hi, Steeve!

            > Ok! :-) At least i find out about it now and not too late. Do you
            > have a release date for the POP3 MAILTO complete support in
            > SOAP::Lite? or at least with reponse sent in reply. Is there any
            "Underpromise and overdeliver?" :)) Ok, what I would like to do is to
            make an internal release later this week that should have this and
            some other features. "internal" means that it'll be anounced only on
            soaplite/soapbuilders lists and won't be available on CPAN, because
            some interfaces changed and three more transports should be
            available, as well as additional support for existent transports and
            I want to be sure that everything is ok (you should get the same or
            even better quality). Then after one week (you'll have time to
            complain, though I'm testing it very carefully on three different
            platforms and under different versions) I plan to make public
            release, so you should have one by the end of June (unless something
            extraordinary happens).

            > doesn't care about the transport. Interportability is going to be
            > fun! :-)
            Pretty much. I have a paper from Duffiana Jones that describes
            interop problems between SOAP::Lite and ApacheSOAP SMTP2HTTP bridge,
            and first problem is that SOAP::Lite encodes message as base64 and
            ApacheSOAP expects it in plain XML (which may or may not be right,
            considering presence of unicode characters). SOAP::Lite can handle
            both, but current version doesn't give you option to choose MIME
            encoding. Next version will (maybe it shouldn't :)). And that's only
            the first problem :(. Anyway, I'm still optimistic.

            http://buzz.yahoo.com/