namespace/nesting problem

  • Chris Nielsen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2005
      Hi all...
      I didn't see this come to me from the list, so I'll try agian... If anyone
      has a hint several people will be most appreciative!

      The vast majority of Soap::Lite examples (all that I can recall) and other
      details seem to always have the simple <SOAP-ENV:Body> type tag. However,
      it appears that my requirement is to modify that tag, and also to have 2
      non-nested namespaces like this:

      <SOAP-ENV:Body
      SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:NS2="urn:SInfotype">
      <NS1:AppMeta xmlns:NS1="urn:WidgetsincWSRV">
      <metadata_a xsi:type="xsd:boolean"> </metadata_a>
      <metadata_b xsi:type="xsd:string"> </metadata_b>
      <AppDetail href="#1"/>
      </NS1:AppMeta>
      <NS2:AppDetail id="1" xsi:type="NS2:AppDetail">
      <app_param_a xsi:type="xsd:string"> </app_param_a>
      <app_param_b xsi:type="xsd:string"> </app_param_b>
      </NS2:AppDetail>
      </SOAP-ENV:Body>

      About the closest so far is something like this - the required
      xmlns:NS2="urn:SInfotype" is not in the body tag, which I think has to do
      with NS2 being *inside* NS1, which is not correct.

      <SOAP-ENV:Body >
      <NS1:AppMeta xmlns:NS1="urn:WidgetsincWSRV" xmlns:NS2="urn:SInfotype" >
      <metadata_a xsi:type="xsd:boolean"> </metadata_a>
      <metadata_b xsi:type="xsd:boolean"> </metadata_b>
      <AppMeta_bogus>
      <NS2:AppDetail >
      <app_param_a xsi:type="xsd:string"> application data item 1 </app_param_a>
      <app_param_b xsi:type="xsd:string"> application data item 1 </app_param_b>
      </NS2:AppDetail>
      </AppMeta_bogus>
      </NS1:AppMeta>
      </SOAP-ENV:Body>

      This is sanitized somewhat of course, I hope I haven't introduced any
      errors.

      If anyone has ideas or knows if it is even possible to match control the
      body tag, and un-nest the namespace elements, thanks for posting or
      e-mailing ideas - or ideas on work arounds.

      Thanks all...
      -C

      --
      Christopher Nielsen chris@... http://ZORINco.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2005
        After more head-banging and a thoughtful reply from the auther of this
        message: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/message/2500 with a very
        similar looking situation, it appears the answer is that Soap::Lite is not
        well suited to the problem, and I am better off rolling my own. Joe
        suggested templated output, and using XML Parser for getting back data.

        So, it appears the answer is to give up on Soap::Lite for this application.

        I'd love to hear from Soap::Lite users who have better ideas! :-)

        It would appear that the Soap::Lite docs could benefit from haing some
        information on where Soap::Lite is appropriate, and when it is not- to
        save some of us many hours of frustration!

        Cheers,

        --
        Christopher Nielsen chris@... http://ZORINco.com
        Electronic Products - Consulting - Hosting

        C O N T R O L Y O U R W O R L D
      • Byrne Reese
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2005
          In 0.60 and 0.65 there is a method call called "register_ns" which will
          create a namespace and place its definition in the soap envelope. You
          can specify a prefix or let SOAP::Lite generate one for you. If you need
          to determine the prefix of an autogenerated namespace, then use the
          find_ns subroutine.

          SOAP::Data also lets you have complete and total control over the
          namespaces, prefixes, attributes, and what have you.

          Consider looking at the following resource for help:

          http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/

          Chris Nielsen wrote:

> [...]
          > > <app_param_a xsi:type="xsd:string"> application data
          > item 1 </app_param_a>
          > > <app_param_b xsi:type="xsd:string"> application data
          > item 1 </app_param_b>
          > > </NS2:AppDetail>
          > > </AppMeta_bogus>
          > > </NS1:AppMeta>
          > > </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          > >

          > > This is sanitized somewhat of course, I hope I haven't introduced any
          > > errors.
          > >

          > > If anyone has ideas or knows if it is even possible to match control
          > the
          > > body tag, and un-nest the namespace elements, thanks for posting or
          > > e-mailing ideas - or ideas on work arounds.
          > >
          > > Thanks all...
          > > -C
          > >

          > --
          > Christopher Nielsen chris@... http://ZORINco.com
          > Electronic Products - Consulting - Hosting

        • Chris Nielsen
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9, 2005
            Thanks Byrne for the response.

            I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but it's the <Body>
            tag that needs to change, not the envelope. And from the only docs I found
            (the single paragraph on the cpan page) it looks like it's the envelope
            that is modified by register_ns, not the body tag. Apologies if I'm
            missing something fundamental. It could be I'm not doing this correctly
            but what I did was add something like:

            $soap->serializer->register_ns('xmlns:NS2','urn:SInfotype');

            I don't see the the body tag change as a result. What I do see is a change
            change in the soap:Envelope tag,

            If anyone can post or refer to an example where the body tag looks like
            the example below (with the NS def), and the NS1 and NS2 sections are
            parallel inside the body, or have other ideas, I'll be happy to try that.
            I just haven't seen any way to meet the requirement without writing the
            xml manually.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2005
              Check out http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/ which contains a HOWTO on
              overriding the SOAP Body of a request message.

              Chris Nielsen wrote:

              > Thanks Byrne for the response.
              >
              > I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but it's the <Body>
              > tag that needs to change, not the envelope. And from the only docs I found
              > (the single paragraph on the cpan page) it looks like it's the envelope
              > that is modified by register_ns, not the body tag. Apologies if I'm
              > missing something fundamental. It could be I'm not doing this correctly
              > but what I did was add something like:
              >
              > $soap->serializer->register_ns('xmlns:NS2','urn:SInfotype');
              >
              > I don't see the the body tag change as a result. What I do see is a
              > change
              > change in the soap:Envelope tag,
              >
              > If anyone can post or refer to an example where the body tag looks like
              > the example below (with the NS def), and the NS1 and NS2 sections are
              > parallel inside the body, or have other ideas, I'll be happy to try
              > that.
              > I just haven't seen any way to meet the requirement without writing the
              > xml manually.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >

              > On Sat, 7 May 2005, Byrne Reese wrote:
              >
              > > In 0.60 and 0.65 there is a method call called "register_ns" which will
              > > create a namespace and place its definition in the soap envelope. You
              > > can specify a prefix or let SOAP::Lite generate one for you. If you
              > need
              > > to determine the prefix of an autogenerated namespace, then use the
              > > find_ns subroutine.
              > >
              > > SOAP::Data also lets you have complete and total control over the
              > > namespaces, prefixes, attributes, and what have you.
              > >
              > > Consider looking at the following resource for help:
              > >
              > > http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/

              > --
              > Christopher Nielsen chris@... http://ZORINco.com
              > Electronic Products - Consulting - Hosting
              >
              > C O N T R O L Y O U R W O R L D

            • Chris Nielsen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2005
                Hi Byrne,

                If you have a link to the howto, I'll be happy to check it out, but I
                couldn't find it on majordojo.com. I searched for "howto", There was one
                for nesting but the body tag is simple, not what I'm looking for. BTW,
                there is a link to an article "SOAP::Lite Client HOWTO" (soapenv.org) but
                that brings up a "this page parked free, courtesy of godaddy.com".
                Googling for "SOAP::Lite Client HOWTO" didn't get anything. Searching
                majordojo for "register_ns" responded 'no pages found'...

                Anyway, I'll be glad to check anything you think relevant, and if
                something I'm doing is screwy please let me know.

                Thanks,
                -C

                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2005
                  Ok, I was mistaken - there is not an article on majordojo on how to
                  modify the root element of the SOAP Body.
                  http://www.majordojo.com/archives/000009.php

                  Here is the man page for register_ns:
                  http://www.majordojo.com/soaplite/docs/Serializer.html

                  Example:
                  $ser->register_ns("urn:foo","myns");

                  A question I have is why is overriding the Body necessary?

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 17, 2005
                    Hi Byrne,

                    I've seen that article.
                    My assumption is that we need to match the way the WSDL file specifies two
                    separate complexTypes with <xs:sequence> defining what ends up being
                    inside the paralell NS1 and NS2 blocks. And NS2 is not nested. Rather than
                    guess as to how the interpreter at the other end will deal with the
                    closest I can get Soap::Lite to do it, it seems Soap::Lite should be
                    capable of matching the structure we see at the other end - requests are
                    more or less rebuilt and echoed back. In that, it is the more complex Body
                    tak, where there is NS information inside and not just <SOAP-ENV:Body> as
                    all the Soap::Lite examples and posts I've seen look.

                    Cheers,